gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975617 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 22, 2024, 11:46 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Right or Wrong ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Right or Wrong ?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
Right or Wrong ?
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:45 AM »
Ok so been looking at old school and new skool bmx's

now we all collect OS and try to bring them back to life with a good resto and what they were like back in the day - right grips and levers - correct tires - bars and forks - right colour and decals

on the odd chance we have survivors and leave them as they are

right now cut to the new skool stuff - we buy them and start changing parts and give them a paint job that is cool - even strip the paint and heat up the tubs for a cool style look

doing that all on a NS is fine and acceptable - superbike dan has done loads of sweet jobs that we see and love and let the owner know

so why do we not see it as right with a crazy paint job on a OS bmx - with all parts changed - now before you say that some have, i know that this has been done in a handful of a members

but it seems we all want the OS bmx to look like what we bought them as and not what in the end we changed them into - i'm sure that we got the spray can out and stuck loads of stickers on + changed parts that we felt were better or later made parts when they wore out or bits came out that we wanted to put on in the later years

i would like to see who's bmxs have been restored to what they rode and what they changed into over the years - how many have done this ?

so it looks like we are happy to get a new skool bmx and change it as soon as we get it or later that year

if we get a OS bmx - it's striped and put back to how we bought it ?

please discuss  :daumenhoch:
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

deeman

Re: Right or Wrong ?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 11:15 AM »
I can only guess that to restore something old,not to its original specification would be seen by most as 'bastardising' it or certainly devaluing it.And as far as resale is concerned,its easier to sell something restored to original condition,than something not so original with a wild paint finish.Its the same with cars or practically anything else,the more you customise or personalise,the more you limit your market when it comes to sell.Being as old school stuff is so expensive now i guess preserving that value is a concern for most people! :daumenhoch:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 11:20 AM »
what about if you don't have plans to sell it ?

how scorned on are you if you had a mongoose '82 and wanted it with a 90's wild paint ? or justa colour that was never used back in the day

is it more accetpable for 90's rides to look more wilder than 80's rides ?

like your answer by the way  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 11:32 AM »
i am mainly into primary colours personally.. if i had the choice to spray my car any colour it would be primary colour/shade!!
+ we do the bikes with period parts so naturally period colours and finishes!

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 11:42 AM »
The only bike i would build to OG spec is the GT Pro (nora) i had BITD obviously for sentimental reasons (if i ever get me hands on one). Apart from that i've got two others on the go, a 92' GT Interceptor and a 83' Redline 600a that are getting built how i want ! There's no chance they'll ever be sold so don't need to worry about sell-on value. Agree with what your saying though back then we spent all our time changing parts, now it seem everyone wants to change em' back !
Each to their own i suppose.  :)
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline Devilock

• Berm Worm
  • ●|●|●
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 12:28 PM »
If you want to see someones build as they had it BITD then one bike that springs to mind is Terry's Torker...

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Forgive me for being a touch dense here but...I dont quite get what the question is? I have built all my bikes how I wanted them to be, as I think, looking at most builds, 90% of Rad members have. I haven't spent huge buckets of wonga to get them to be how they came out the shop, off the factory floor or how a certain rider had his/hers. I have built them all with no restored parts, exactly how I want them to look with the fundage I feel warrants the parts added. Not once have I built one thinking "how much resale value would it be to build it like this?"   :-\ :coolsmiley:

Does it not take away the joy and memories by building a shop spec ride? I built my Torker as I had it in the 80's and my Haroand Dp as I really want them  :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 03:24 PM by Londonhellboy »
BANNED

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 04:29 PM »
It's building fantasy bikes isn't it, even new bikes often had a different seat, grips, or tyres to what the supposed factory spec was. Virtually every bike that got ridden and used much ended up with bits being changed almost immediately.

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 05:27 PM »
i've never built a bike to factory spec and i never did any research on what parts came with them. i may stick to using a few parts from the same company like f&f bars but the rest of the parts are just what i think will look good on it. they don't have to from the same year, just close enough is fine for me.

Offline Badbaldie

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 05:41 PM »
ive collected bits over the last few months to build the bike i had bitd. Mongoose cali , mike buff zds  ::) torker probars.. defo not one for the purists but like u say we all changed parts bitd . and to be honest i dont care what people may  think as it was MY bike that i rode ,thrashed and did all the mad stuff we did as kids. The only difference now is ............. it will be cleaned polished and just roll round  :smitten: :smitten:

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 05:57 PM »
My first bmx,a brand new bike had bits changed as soon as i got it,my rebuild will reflect this :daumenhoch:

As for crazy rattlecan finishes etc,fine,but best to use bits that could do with refinishing anyway :daumenhoch:

NS bikes,do what you like,it maybe looked upon as crazy in 30 years time though...................

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 09:07 PM »
OI!!! Bendy!!!! You o me £12.59 :yahoo_silent:
Griff loves BUM..

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 09:14 PM »
OI!!! Bendy!!!! You o me £12.59 :yahoo_silent:
BANNED

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 09:16 PM »
Griff loves BUM..

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Not saying anything.. See you on one of the rides a??
Griff loves BUM..

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Forgive me for being dense :4_17_5:

nothing new there  ::)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 09:54 PM »
BANNED

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2012, 10:05 PM »
fook off you bell end  :idiot2: :idiot2:
i thought that when you ran your mouth in that pm to me and i said stay out of my threads and i would do the same in yours, then you would not make your self look a fool again

if you don't like me, don't fooking talk to me you twat  ::)  and don't come onto my thread giving it mouth in a hidden way  :uglystupid2:

bye

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 10:48 PM »
I did my Rickman as a replica  build of mine i had bitd.I did it exactly as it was before it got stolen in 86.

It had evolved from a burner into a Rickman with god knows how many parts along the way.

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 10:55 PM »
looks sweet and sort of what i mean in half of the two ways - you build a bike back in the day to what parts you wanted and what replaced others - the second half was colours and stickers - i know some try to work out what stickers they had on frames from pictures

so on the rickman, did you have a pic or just remember all the parts, as it was what you want it to have in the end (bitd) ?

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 01:24 PM »
fook off you bell end  :idiot2: :idiot2:
i thought that when you ran your mouth in that pm to me and i said stay out of my threads and i would do the same in yours, then you would not make your self look a fool again

if you don't like me, don't fooking talk to me you twat  ::)  and don't come onto my thread giving it mouth in a hidden way  :uglystupid2:

bye

:2funny:  :daumenhoch:

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 01:39 PM »
im just doing a 85 performer that will be mad colours and well stickered up like bitd.
sick of seeing the same old builds  :-\
dave the bmxing gypo

mattuknc

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 01:45 PM »
The few bikes I've put together of late have been ones I could never have afforded bitd, and it's nice to now get my hands on them!  :D
If I was to do my old blue/ yellow mag burner that I had, I think I'd have trouble finding those little stickers you used to get with your shreddies to put on my handle bars for my 'power boost' button!  :2funny: (Knight rider style)

griff

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 03:26 PM »
easier to do it to a NS bike as otherwise they can look quite boring (I know that there are subtle differences but from a distance it's hard to tell a lot of them apart with the stickers off)

although hardly any of the bits on my haro are the 'right' year I just put the bits on I thought would look nice/could afford

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 04:05 PM »
I think I'm right and you're wrong Bendy Boy in any given situation.
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Right or Wrong ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx