gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 11:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ACS Stoker Pedals - what would you do with these? (pictures)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: ACS Stoker Pedals - what would you do with these? (pictures)  (Read 2170 times)

punkdSICO

Hi all

FINALLY managed to get the 1mm of paint off these puppys.  They looked great before but blue and I could not find a 9/16 axle for my blue bike so, leaving them 1/2 for a chrome and white build bike.

What would they look like if I Wet n Dry them through the grades then polish?  Currently they look quite grainy (although in fab condition).

So, if I did decide to polish, what would you do about the loggo?  Would it look odd if I smooth and polish up to, say, 2mm of the logo?

Clearly the simplest option would be to re-paint but I defo dont want to drown them in thick powder again (the loggo starts to look rubbish).  I could just rattle can them but they look so good stripped, Im wondering if I might leave them bare??  Also, I have no cash at the mo so even a can of paint would be more than I want to spend..

thoughts??

Paul
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:04 PM by punkdSICO »

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: ACS Stoker Pedals - what would you do with these? (pictures)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 03:19 PM »
Get them chromed Paul  :smitten: They look the nuts  :coolsmiley:
BANNED

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 03:38 PM »
youd have to go some to polish the acs off of them.best thing to do is sell them to me ::)
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 03:44 PM »
quite like em raw
look like they are carved from stone

renegaderacer

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Hi Paul,

you could polish them with wet and dry but I wouldn't personally do that. The surface is quite rough and by the time you'd polished them smooth the logo would really suffer and yes, it would look odd if you polished up to the logo. It would also be an incredibly fiddly and time consuming job.

Have you thought about getting them annodised?

Or as Terry says, get them chromed!  :daumenhoch:

Giles

punkdSICO

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 04:37 PM »
Ah, I did not consider chrome.  I think chrome is much thinner than powder so the ACS logo should be maintained nicely..

Would there be any further prep required or, is the current grainy sandstone finish okay for chrome?  I would guess that because chrome is so thin, the graininess would not work with chrome??

I cant afford chrome until I get another job but maybe I can just ride them as the are until I can afford it..

Good suggestions!!

ta,

Paul

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 04:39 PM »
Chrome on alloy is not always very good, how did they come originally, I would always go with how they were if possible.

I quite like them raw too  :coolsmiley:

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 05:26 PM »
i remember a stoker stem i had bitd that i thought was anno'd but it had
a tough plastic type coating on it that came off with a sharp knife.dunno
if the pedals were the same.

Offline Redline

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 05:47 PM »
They would need to be highly polished prior to getting them chrome plated so you would run into the same problems regarding losing detail on them etc.  :(

If it were me I would give them a light polish then finish them with some of that "glass paint" that someone on here used on a pair of Shimano DX pedals  :daumenhoch:

sid1972

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 07:00 PM »
have these been blasted?

you could polish them after a light wet and dry - use a drimmel with a small polishing pad and some good quality polish. They will not be a mirror finish but a nice, clean alloy look which would not look out of place on any build.  ;)

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 07:05 PM »
what about a sand blasting type of route ?  

would that not give them a polished look ?

sandpaper grades would take ages and lose a lot of metal and look  ???
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 07:08 PM »
They look 2 me like they have been blasted lightly that has given them that grained surface. Polishing would b a nightmare as already pointed out  ;) the same applies 2 chrome. I would go the painted route, as they were painted bitd as released  :daumenhoch: Mine had not been blasted so I stripped, polished with a dremel the painted them as close 2 the residue left of the original finish  ::)

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 07:14 PM »
SBD could prob powder those with a very thin layer .. he has done that on my Hutch brake bridges and JMC logos and they are perfectly visible and still sharp.. and as said a few times .. chroming will mean having to polish them first and with that rough finish you have it would be the wrong way to go .. the logo would look crap after all that

sid1972

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 07:37 PM »
I have polished loads of sand blasted bits - this brake was sandblasted before black powder and it came out like this..  :coolsmiley:

it was a mare I must admit but do-able.

punkdSICO

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 07:52 PM »
If it were me I would give them a light polish then finish them with some of that "glass paint" that someone on here used on a pair of Shimano DX pedals  :daumenhoch:
Here are the DX pedals:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=95462.0

Take a look at "Kang"s post.  VERY sexy!  He used a can of Plastikote so I might have a look into this..

Someone else above suggested they may have been blasted and yes, now I think about it, it does look like they have been blasted.

I guess if I use Plastikote, I will still have to give them a light rub down to get rid of the pitting but I can always just try it first without sanding, then sand if required,

Big thanks once again for all the help..

Paul

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 10:22 AM »

I personally would'nt polish them at all , they can never be returned to original once that's done . I'd try the Plastikote on that surface as a start .

Don't take this the wrong way , but if you've no funds to do them what could or may be termed as "properly" then maybe sell them to someone who may be able to do them justice , they're rare pedals !  ;)

punkdSICO

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 01:37 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way , but if you've no funds to do them what could or may be termed as "properly" then maybe sell them to someone who may be able to do them justice , they're rare pedals !  ;)
I only ever do things properly; half hearted is not in my nature..  :)

Besides, being out of work does mean you lack money, but it also means you have lots of spare time..

:)

Paul

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 02:00 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way , but if you've no funds to do them what could or may be termed as "properly" then maybe sell them to someone who may be able to do them justice , they're rare pedals !  ;)
I only ever do things properly; half hearted is not in my nature..  :)

Besides, being out of work does mean you lack money, but it also means you have lots of spare time..

:)

Paul

Cool , just saw the no money/ can of paint more than you wanted to spend comment  ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  ACS Stoker Pedals - what would you do with these? (pictures)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx