gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 11:39 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  seat post won't fit into frame.***now sorted!!**
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: seat post won't fit into frame.***now sorted!!**  (Read 2428 times)

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
seat post won't fit into frame.***now sorted!!**
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Hi all. I have a hutch pro racer frame, and i recently bought a hutch seatpost. The seatpost will need a re-chrome before final instalation. My problem is that the post will only go approx 1 inch into the seat down tube before it gets stuck fast. I've also tried another unbranded seatpost with exactly the same results. I can only assume that the frame tubing must be slightly bent or crimped?, although it looks fine to the eye. I went to my local chromers today, and they said they could polish the tube down slightly before they re-chrome it to make it fit. Is this the only or best option? Any other suggestions? Thanks
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:27 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
Re: seat post won't fit into frame. Help!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:44 PM »
are the ends of the seat post straight cut or rolled over?

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 11:53 PM »
at work at the moment, so cant check, but am 99% sure are straight cut.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 12:05 AM »
Have you Tried a bit of Lube in the seat tube on the frame and a cheap seat post in and out a few times???  Keep it rotating and in and out  :daumenhoch:  it should free it up.

theRuler

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 12:21 AM »
Get a tub of vaseline.
Or any substitute grease.
Lube the organ well.
And it will proceed with ease.

Superkav

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 03:28 PM »
If it only goes in an inch poke your finger down the tube and have a feel. You may find you have an unwanted guest in the shape of the last seat post rammed inside it. I hope not or you're in a world of pain. But for Gods sake check it BEFORE you get it rechromed or you'll be throwing all that money down the loo.

skyway67

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 05:18 PM »
i had exactly the same trouble it was the rusty weld penetration inside the seat tube stopping it from going in  >:(

so i took it to work and honed it out ,the seat post fits great now  :daumenhoch:

heres the frame set up in the milling machine

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 06:48 PM »
stick the seat post in the freezer,hopefully it will shrink enough to get it in,ive done this on a coupe of occasions
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Get hold of a 7/8" hand reamer,use that :daumenhoch:

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 08:28 PM »
last thing i did was clean inside the tube well then hold the frame over the gas hob for 2 mins then carefully use a cold used seapost and a rubber mallet to lever and gradually drive down! i am a complete cowboy though! :2gunsfiring_v1:

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 11:33 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions so far folks. It doesnt look as though there's another seatpost stuck in there. I've tried wd40, grease & vaseline but with no luck. Also tried putting the post in the freezer & holding the frame above the hob with no luck  :(. It looks as though i'll either have to get the post polished down before i get it rechromed, or use a hand reamer. I've had a look for a reamer and they seem a bit expensive for what (i hope) is a one off job. Does anyone have one that I could borrow? I would have course cover any postage costs both ways. Hoping someone can help. Failing this, are there any more suggestions? Thanks all. Andy

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 12:02 AM »
Get a tub of vaseline.
Or any substitute grease.
Lube the organ well.
And it will proceed with ease.

:LolLolLolLol: dirty fooker  :LolLolLolLol:      try a big hammer  :daumenhoch:   ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, no i'm joking  :LolLolLolLol:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

YGT

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 10:57 AM »
On one frame I had, I took a normal electric hand drill and put on the largest drill bit I could find (16 or 18mm) and covered the drill bit with sandpaper and electrical tape .... gave it a quick internal sanding and the post went in after that .....

Offline bobbbbsy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 12:04 PM »
and i thought i was a tool jockey.. but hey if it worked. hats off to you ! :police:

dude. are you being dead careful or are you letting the dragon come out a little ? is it a top frame?

re- read. hutch. nuff said !
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:42 PM by bobbbbsy »

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 03:50 PM »
No i'm not veing gentle with it. Tried to give it a bit of wellie, but it's not working. I'll try the drill and sandpaper method. Thanks

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Hi mate ive had this problem , so i rolled up several sheets of sandpaper of different grades and work away starting with the coarse of course takes patience tho and then turn frame over to empty debris then  lube wd40 then wipe stuffing a rag down , then lube again worked for me  :daumenhoch:

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Re: seat post won't fit into frame.***now sorted!!**
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 08:33 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions people. Rick, I tried the sandpaper trick & it worked. Took me about 30 minutes of sanding though & now I have hands like a navvy! Made up that it's sorted though.

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Good lad  :daumenhoch: looking forward to seeing this and if its as nice as your fox i deffo cant wait !!

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 08:59 PM »
Thanks Rick. This one could take some time due to the cost & availability of parts. Been at this one for over a year, and can't see it being done this year. My current main build is a peugeot black lion which should be done for MK. I've also just dibbed the falcon pro race flyer f&f in the for sale section. This will be painted blue & badged up as a kappa (as to me the race flyer frame looks exactly the same). It will be a replica of my only bmx from BITD as shown below  :)

theRuler

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 12:09 AM »
Ha! ^^^ nice one

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  seat post won't fit into frame.***now sorted!!**

gfxgfx
gfx gfx