gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 26, 2024, 11:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  pivotal
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: pivotal  (Read 11612 times)

welsh denny

Re: pivotal
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 10:20 PM »
i'm not showing you lot mine. it's way too long.  :LolLolLolLol:

ride mainly flat these days so need a higher post. i got one of the long primo posts 300mm + long . think rad shop may have em. sure i got mine there.

gobshite

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 10:21 PM »
;D

Not been out on it yet as the weather is so piss poor  >:(

definitely gay.

:2funny: You know what they say about people who are always calling others gay dont you Darksunday?!

*cough* CLOSET *cough*

:LolLolLolLol:

touch tails?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 10:41 PM »
I run my seat pretty high. My weak leg means I need the safety net of a seat I can actually sit on sometimes. I didn't like the positioning of a pivotal set up with it set high so I went back to a micro adjust & railed seat.

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 10:46 PM »
Shadow mid pivotal seat

Can't remember the make or length of the post, it's more or less as high as it'll go (bout an inch below the bottom of the top tube)

Low enough to be out of the while riding, high enough and comfy enough for a sit down while chatting shit....  ;D

2 minutes turkish...

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2012, 11:26 PM »
adding a couple of questions

are the post all the same size hole ~ 25.4 ?

thermalite ? throughts

over alloy or not ?

cheers for the seat post pic's gents  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 12:08 AM »
Have heard that the thermalites are not too strong but unless you intend to run it really high i cant see there being an issue. I would just go with what you like/suits the bike  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

gobshite

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 12:23 AM »
a plastic fooking seatpost?

thoughts?

grow up and buy a fooking thomson.

gobshite

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 12:27 AM »
adding a couple of questions

are the post all the same size hole ~ 25.4 ?

most bmx frames are 25.4mm. in fact it's pretty rare to find a different sized seat tube/post, standard made some of their frames in a larger post size, macneil tried going backwards to 22.2mm last year too,

25.4mm is generally considered industry standard.

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 12:45 AM »
Alert Alert - darksunday gave a solid answer  :shocked: second post after the first above with no p!ss take answer  :shocked:

;D

cheers mate - just didn't know if they p!ssed around like bitd

well i want it a bit higher than it is a the mo - slammed - but not too high - so some thing like a 110 /115 might just do the trick  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Munnyella

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 07:57 AM »
Go for 150-175 then, you get the option then, wight difference is nothing.

MM
Hard + Stylish = Chicks + Beer!!!

SaMAlex

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 09:10 AM »
Here's my seat and post. Its one of the very first pivotal posts with an old Bicycle Union railed seat. The web's at the top of the post mean you cant slam it, but the post is also a larger diameter toward the top.

A railed seat is stronger than a pivotal seat. But also, like Rob said, you can position the seat better. Pivotal seats are often a bit to far forward (although getting the cool oddy pivotal seat post helps cos it sets the seat further back)

I like the simplicity of the Pivotal system. Most micro adjust posts (thompson) look too fussy with all those bolts.

mattuknc

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2012, 09:14 AM »
Here's my Kink one, not sure on the length but it's enough so you dont feel completely squashed!

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2012, 10:46 AM »
To actually answer the question;  only buy a stump post if you're slamming it. Stick to alloy for reliability and it you're running the seat up a bit be sure sure leave 2-3" in the frame for strength. Cut off what you don't need if you're fussed about weight. For the odd once here and there, I really wouldn't bother. If you leave it uncut it'll be easier to sell should you ever want to.

Good shout on the Thomson Joe  ;)

SaMAlex

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 10:54 AM »
Cut off what you don't need if you're fussed about weight. For the odd once here and there, I really wouldn't bother. If you leave it uncut it'll be easier to sell should you ever want to.

If you change your seat or change your frame you might have to change the height of your post (to accommodate a different standover height or different height seat) so its better to leave the post a bit long. Its not like a few inches of ally tube makes for much weight saving anyway

elevensies

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2012, 11:34 AM »
Shadow mid pivotal seat

Can't remember the make or length of the post, it's more or less as high as it'll go (bout an inch below the bottom of the top tube)

Low enough to be out of the while riding, high enough and comfy enough for a sit down while chatting shit....  ;D

thats tidy :daumenhoch:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 08:58 PM »
well here is the seat /post in question

more on this bike in a new thread

cheers all for helping - the new seat will go on with about 1-2" showing or close when i get one and see how it looks

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 09:48 PM »
Yeah, get rid of that pony looking thing. Get a decent seat & post on it.

PaulM

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 10:16 PM »
In my opinion pivotal seats/posts are massively superior to the railed seats/posts just for the fact that they just don't slip.

Check out the Eclat torch offset seat post for you guys that wanna position the seat a little further back on the post....

Cheers Paul

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 02:01 PM »

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 02:11 PM »
look like a piece of art  8) 

any one find a picture of one on a bike ?

just don't know if it would translate to look right or a bit odd ?

have seen a lay back pivotal on ebay some where  ???

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Liking that eclat!  :daumenhoch:   Subrossa do a layback which would give you a very similar offset  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

SaMAlex

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 02:22 PM »
That Eclat is pretty much the same at the oddy one, but the oddy one is longer

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2012, 02:27 PM »
I would go with the mid size - seat going on is this

Clean

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 11:43 AM »
I run a Federal Pivotal Mid Size as seen in Bendy's pics, bolted to a Macneil Stump; I don't ride it fully slammed, but have about three inches showing (ohhh-err). I find it a perfect setup for slouching on in between rampwork.

I know Macniel do a full length pivotal post if you feel the need to ride with your saddle at an Old School height.  :daumenhoch:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 12:07 PM »
I tend not to sit on the old school seats unless it's like on a long run like the London run

i don't mind it slammed a bit and as toy say 2-3" is ok for me - but it's not going to be OS style  ;)

All i have here in my hand is my seat  :'(  missing a bike and a new post - now i just gotta wait a couple of weeks  >:( ;D

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  pivotal

gfxgfx
gfx gfx