gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 11:32 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch bars? Hutch experts please help!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Hutch bars? Hutch experts please help!  (Read 1217 times)

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Hutch bars? Hutch experts please help!
« on: January 04, 2012, 03:42 PM »
First of all, sorry if i've posted this in the wrong section. Mods - please feel free to move it to the appropriate one.

Hi folks. I bought these bikes a while ago. I cant remember if it was on ebay or from the museum. They were advertised as being hutch pro bars. They are 27 3/4 inches wide, with an 11 inch top tube. The rise is approx 8.5 inches. The top bar looks thicker than on a set of hutch pro racer bars. To me they look more like a set of woody itson bars. There is no stamp anywhere. There is a small hole stamped underneath the grip area on the left side. There is also knurling. The bars also seem to be almost an exact match to my repro skyway race bars in shape (although these bars have a bit more of a backsweep). The diameter of the cross tube is the same as my skyway bars. Can anyone help? Many thanks.

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Hutch bars? Hutch experts please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 03:52 PM »
they may well be hutch pro bars but are  the later taiwanese made pro bars.ive got two sets of hutch bars,gen 1's and 3'

first gens,robinson made,no knurling and a thin crossbar

3rd gens,boxier,no knurling,slightly thicker cross bar than the gen 1's and 2's,incidently 2nd and 3rd gens are identical except for the cross bar
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 04:12 PM by markyp »
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 05:01 PM »
I've got a set of Woody Bars and i don't recall them having any knurling on.
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 05:04 PM »
That's what I was thinking too. So it could be that they are 3rd gen Taiwanese made pro bars...
Can anyone else help?

Thanks

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 05:23 PM »
That's what I was thinking too. So it could be that they are 3rd gen Taiwanese made pro bars...
Can anyone else help?

Thanks
4th gen taiwanese bars,may even be pro raider bars
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:26 PM »
Thanks. I've posted this question on bmxmuseum too, and 2 people there have suggested pro raider bars. It looks as though that's what they are. Once agin, thanks for all the help folks!

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 07:17 PM »
I think Tai made,having the hole within the grip area.Also,think 85 Raider bars were mild steel,where as 86 were supposedly cro-mo(28 X 8 1/2).If your desperate to find out what material they're made of,an engineering company could do a simple hardness test on them(where they press a tiny ball bearing into the metal-how far it goes into the metal for a given pressure will determine the steel type) or just see if it's seamless......cro-mo should be !!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Hutch bars? Hutch experts please help!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx