gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 12:35 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic Acid or Vinegar !
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Oxalic Acid or Vinegar !  (Read 4575 times)

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Oxalic Acid or Vinegar !
« on: January 01, 2012, 10:28 PM »
Hiya Fella's,
                  Got a few parts need de-rusting and i'd like some opinions on which is the best method to use, Oxalic Acid or Vinegar or other method's.
And a few tips on how long to soak them, ratio's of water to oxalic/vinegar and anything else i need to know !
                                                                                                                                                                            Cheers Chaps.   
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time"

"WWG1WGA"

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
Re: Oxalic Acid or Vinegar !
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:58 PM »
what are the parts ? different materials work in different ways and need longer or a quick go

The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 11:09 PM »
Always citric acid powder for me. Its harmless to you and decals and works great!  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:25 PM »
Bendy,
         Forks, bars, chain, headset, spider, chainwheel ( not alloy, steel of some sort ), chainwheel nuts, seatpost, stem bolts and seat guts.
It's all nothing too serious just needs tiding up a little.

"WWG1WGA"

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 11:48 PM »
Always citric acid powder for me. Its harmless to you and decals and works great!  :daumenhoch:
+1

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 11:55 AM »
Hotdog/Oldschoolace,
                                 How much do i use, how long do i leave it for and is it easy to get your hands on it ?
                                                                                                                                                                   Cheers

"WWG1WGA"

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 03:24 PM »
I have found chrome items are fine - the rust will turn a grey greenish powder and need washing off

but if a item has loose chrome or open metal it will need shorter time in as it affects the metal and turns it all greenish and it will need a polish to get off

time in can be a hour to 6 hours - any more and it tends to mess it up a bit and go past what you need

amount ? I have a plastic tray about 12"x45" and 3" deep - kids and pets out the way of it all - gloves on - i just use about 2-3 table spoons of AO after i have put hot water in - stir and then add parts - always wash parts after in hot soapy water - dispose of the solution in a safe and clean way

but amount of water to solution and volume of tub used can very - it's all try and try again and again this is just my way - wait for others to say how they do it and then put it all together and see what you come up with  ;)

If some parts don't come up as you want - then it maybe that you will have to turn to a polishing mop on a bench grinder or hand polishing

on clean up old parts you will have to try more than one method - so methods work well - some will only do certain parts and some can mess up what you want clean and nice - measure twice and cut once - soft before hard - and test first  ;)

cheers B  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Nice One mate, I got a general idea. I suppose it's trial and error to some extent. Just need to find somewhere local to get some Oxalic/Citric acid.
Thanks for your time, your effort and your patience.   :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Clean

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 04:31 PM »
Nice One mate, I got a general idea. I suppose it's trial and error to some extent. Just need to find somewhere local to get some Oxalic/Citric acid.
Thanks for your time, your effort and your patience.   :daumenhoch:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500g-Oxalic-acid-great-cleaner-rust-remover-/140426948733?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item20b219307d#ht_2545wt_1163

:daumenhoch:

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:

"WWG1WGA"

Clean

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 04:44 PM »
I bought some Oxalic from those people; turned up fast, and very cheap.  ;)

Just be careful with it as it is a little vicious! I may sound a little dull, but respect the risks and get your gloves and goggles on.  :angel:

Weaker mix and longer soaking is the way to go!  :daumenhoch:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 04:51 PM »
That's too true  :daumenhoch:

it's like takeing anno off of DX pedals and finding out that leaving it too long eats the alloy  :shocked:

with AO you can try again if it doesn't quite work as well as you hoped the first time

slowly slowy catchy monkey  ;D

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2012, 04:57 PM »
Cheers Clean. Just purchased a bag of it, £3.70 with postage.  :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Clean

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Cheers Clean. Just purchased a bag of it, £3.70 with postage. 

:angel:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 08:15 PM »
Sorry fella, been busy messing with bikes  ;)

For future reference if you do want citric acid its easy enough to find it on ebay and for smaller quantities your local brewery supplies or wilkinsons home stores will do it.

I usually use around a ten to one ratio with water, weaker ratios are fine, they just work slower  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline CustardLips

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Sorry fella, been busy messing with bikes  ;)

For future reference if you do want citric acid its easy enough to find it on ebay and for smaller quantities your local brewery supplies or wilkinsons home stores will do it.

I usually use around a ten to one ratio with water, weaker ratios are fine, they just work slower  :daumenhoch:

Cheers Pal much obliged ! :daumenhoch:

"WWG1WGA"

Rodgy1970

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Oxalic Acid will not won't harm the metal only the rust, I've left parts in it for over a week with no problems

I've used 50g OA powder per litre of water and it's worked well.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Oxalic Acid or Vinegar !

gfxgfx
gfx gfx