gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:51 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Red alloy Tuffs resto..How tuff are your Tuffs?? finished
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Red alloy Tuffs resto..How tuff are your Tuffs?? finished  (Read 5939 times)

Threaders

Red alloy Tuffs resto..How tuff are your Tuffs?? finished
« on: December 16, 2011, 12:34 PM »
Hi People. Just a warning: this resto isnt for the faint hearted :)

Got these a few months back from  oldskooldayz and were paintec red with two pac automotive paint. The pair of them looked like this:

Verry glossy finish on both and had no chips or anything.
I was assured that they were originaly red, so bought them and thought it would be a piece of cake to strip and restore. ( I haven't come accross two pac paint before :-[)
First thing I did when they arrived, was to try a very soft approach to stripping the paint. I tried nail varnish remover, then very fine wet and dry paper, then dot 4 brake fluid, then a razor blade all with no joy whatsoever :(
I then thought I would try Nitromorse as it was the only thing left I hadn't tried and also I thought that before the stuff could do any damage to the mags, it would have to get through the paint first. So here is the next step.

I kept checking the wheel every five minuets, just to make sure nothing bad was going to happen, but bugger me after an hour nothing was happening to the paint :(
I then put more notromorse on and left for another two hours and this is what happened:

the paint was just starting to lift in a few places.....at last
A thought occured to me whilst doing this and that was why someone would paint red tuffs red??? ( this wasnt done be oldskooldayz but someone else)
It was after stripping all the paint, I was left with this:

At first I thought someone has tried to dye them black as the black stuff was all over the pastic hubs and everywhere it looked like they had been sat on the side of the M25 for the last 20 years!!!! I also read somewhere that when you paint plastic, a reaction can happen, which stains the plastic underneath, someone else said it could be carbon buildup, but have never seen anything as bad as these though.
To get this black stuff off, I tried everything. Again I tried bleach, oven cleaner and sanding. Someone suggested caustic soda, but that sounded way too drastic. Eventually I tried the coarsest wet and dry available and finally the stuff started to shift. :)
After hours of sanding and doing all the fidley bits round the hub I arrived at this.

This was one side of one wheel so I still had three sides to go :-\
I finished of stripping the other side and the both sides of the front wheel, so all I had left to do was to shift this black stuff that was all over them (must be why the person re sprayed them)
I then tried a scotch brite pad (again the coarsest available) and this method shifted it pretty quick. Downside was that I managed to only get 1/2 of one side done before I was left with this:

sanding wheel was completly worn down to nothing :-[
I then thought fook it and assembled a heavy duty array of dremmel sanding gear like this

I found the above attachment good for working around the hubs and the metal sanding wheel was great for moving the black stuff but I havd to be verry careful as one wrong move could have resulted in loosing half the wheel :-[ also the friction from the sanding mops heated up the wheel very quick, so I adjusted the speed on the drill to slow, in order not to melt the wheel by letting the heat build up in any one place:-[
Today after spending some more time on sanding the smal areas, I have arrived at this point:

Havent wiped them down with wd40 yet as there are still some small bits to do round the hub. What a slog :-[
I wouldnt recomend this method to anyone else, its just what I had to do to get them into this state. People suggested media blasting, but no one near me did it with anything finer than grit blasting ( which now thinking bout it, would have probably been less aggressive than the things I used!!!!)
Both wheels are a couple of mm thinner than my other tuffs, but only on the inside spokes. I have another set of red tuffs on a show and these wrere intended to go on my christmas rider build, but not sure I can bring myself to get them dirty after all my hard work :)
I will give them a ride and let you know if they hold up now that they are a tiny bit thinner :-[

« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:57 PM by Threaders »

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Red alloy Tuffs resto..How tuff are your Tuffs??
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 12:39 PM »
Top work mate!  this should be sent to anyone who thinks it's a good idea to bloody paint tuffs!   :idiot2:   :uglystupid2:   :tickedoff:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 01:10 PM »
Top work there and it show's the hard work you have put in  :daumenhoch:

I know red tuffs and how that a simple clean and dye can turn into a couple months of pure hard work  ::)

top work  :daumenhoch:

i did some for guff and still have some for OBB to do

guffs done - obb's to do

finished
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:12 PM by BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN »
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Bloody hell fella, those were originally my tuffs, I didnt spray them, but I know the bloke who did and you wait till i see him. But on the plus side he's offered to spray a frame for me and judging by his job on the tuffs its goibng to be pretty hardwearing!!!

Threaders

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 01:30 PM »
Come on then bendycat how did you do yours so nicley, cant see any scratch marks from sanding, they look top dollar.
JAMZ, I would definatly do a frame and forks with the two pac, but thought that two pac would be more expensive. I had a frame, forks. bars and post done at the lacal powder coaters for 40 quid :daumenhoch:

rad_pitt

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 02:26 PM »
Well worth the hard work buddy  :4_17_5:

lk_97

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 07:41 PM »
Very nice! :daumenhoch:

Offline stfc

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 09:24 PM »
Great effort there fella , Will look Top Bombing when You,ve finished ...

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 10:11 PM »
Come on then bendycat how did you do yours so nicley, cant see any scratch marks from sanding, they look top dollar.
JAMZ, I would definatly do a frame and forks with the two pac, but thought that two pac would be more expensive. I had a frame, forks. bars and post done at the lacal powder coaters for 40 quid :daumenhoch:

The best way it not to start with the biggest roughest sandpaper - that will only put more scratches on the surface

start with a 600 grade and work up to a 1200 grade - just got to keep working on each grade - hard works shows the fakes from the pro's  ;D

after that try bug and tar with a soft cloth or a furniture polish - then buff up  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Threaders

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Cheers Bendycat. But how did you manage to work in the tight areas rond the hubs?? I was using wet and dry wraped round a knife blade, but it took ages :daumenhoch:
was there a specific tool you used??

oldboyburner

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 10:55 AM »
Great job so far on them tiffs mate :daumenhoch:
@bendy  :4_17_5:

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 10:56 AM »
Top resto  ;) Can c the hard work thats gone into these  :4_17_5: Would love a pair of red tuffs someday , sold mine a while back like a spanner  >:(

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Cheers Bendycat. But how did you manage to work in the tight areas around the hubs?? I was using wet and dry wrapped round a knife blade, but it took ages :daumenhoch:
was there a specific tool you used??

A Razor - Stanley blade with a steady hand - sand/glass paper coned up to a point - just working slowly and not rushing it - the end result is better for not seeing it as a race but like the old cowboys whittling away  ;D

time is you friend and inpatients is a spoiler of good things  ;)

russ j

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 04:43 PM »
a great result there matey  :daumenhoch:

The nitromoors that's available in the shops now isn't as potent as the stuff before,for some reason the producers of the stuff 'tamed' it down  :idiot2: f**k nows why??

I did a set of Blue Skyways a few mths ago that wern't as bad as your reds but where a right pain in the arse to refurb anyway...

My Blue set,

I've done both wheels now but not taken any photos as of yet

Russ....

Threaders

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 05:42 PM »
Wise words from bendycat there :)
and those blue tuffs look awesome. Patience is definatly whats needed and I will try the razor blade approach over the next few days. Thanks for the comments and support :daumenhoch: will post finished pics before Crimbo.

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 07:13 PM »
count your fingers first and after make sure you have the same amount  :shocked: ;D

just take your time  ;)

Russy is a great restorer from wheels to seats to polishing  :daumenhoch:

russ j

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 10:11 AM »
My fingers were really sore for about a week afterwards :( but the hard work is well worth it  8)

I had jet washed mine down firstly (forgot to take photos of them in their original state when i got them  :-[) but after jet washing them Glynnyboy put them through his dishwasher for me to which they arrived at the state that the right wheel is in my photo.Then i attacked them with wet/dry starting with a 350 grade then upto a 450 grade then 600 grade then upto 1000 grade (this took on and off around 3-4 weeks) by then my fingers were 'dead' ;D,then i dyed them with the 'Madonna Blue' multipurpose Dylon Dye for around 5 hours each wheel  :shocked: (the wife wasn't happy as i'd done them using the cooker in my kitchen with all 4 rings on   :D ;D)

Once throughly dyed i washed them down again,let them dry then lightly sprayed WD40 on them let that soak in and lightly buffed them up and the end result is on the left wheel  8)

A very long process but well worth bringing them back from the dead imo  ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:13 AM by russ j »

Threaders

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 01:57 PM »
Just had a last go at sanding. Not perfect, but wanted to get them on my rider build today. Put some wd40 on them and here they are :)

My schwinn freeform as it is so far:

Cheers for the razor tip and everyone elses comments. Have a good christmas one and all :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: Red alloy Tuffs resto..How tuff are your Tuffs?? finished
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 05:40 PM »
You have every right to feel smug!! Well worth all the effort mate

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Red alloy Tuffs resto..How tuff are your Tuffs?? finished

gfxgfx
gfx gfx