gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 05:57 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chrome fork issue
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Chrome fork issue  (Read 582 times)

Offline Tonto

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Chrome fork issue
« on: December 15, 2011, 04:41 PM »
Right I have a set of forks I need to strip and recrome they are a lil batterd so need to shift some dents do I have to fill wiv weld and grind back down in order to get them chrome again  ?

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
Re: Chrome fork issue
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:54 PM »
Yes or braze. The finish also has to be good. As the chromers polish the metal to a mirror finish before chroming. If the metal is in a poor state the chromers will either refuse to do them or tell you they will be rough in that area. The finish needs to be down to 500grit minimum without any imperfections for a top chrome job :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 05:11 PM »
The chromers I used filled a ding in my bars with silver solder prior to chroming!might be easier than grinding back weld! :daumenhoch:

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Yes that is also correct silver solder is also good for a repair. And easier to sand/file down. But make sure you use the high temperature solder.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Chrome fork issue

gfxgfx
gfx gfx