gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 02, 2024, 11:09 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  DK General Lee :: sunny pics 19/2 ::
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: DK General Lee :: sunny pics 19/2 ::  (Read 25825 times)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
DK General Lee :: sunny pics 19/2 ::
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:57 PM »
OK so its not a cool early one, but nevertheless its orange and it smacks of midschool flavour!!

2002 General Lee

according to the owners this is the spec

demolition cranks (3pc),
chris benett sig. bars,
oddyssey rear break
 and different chainring/pedals/brake lever/tyres from standard
i had to buy a new rear wheel as one of the fully sealed bearings fell out of the original one and the one i bought has a freewheel that is too large for the front ring (so its good on acceleration, not got a very good top speed) - these are cheap enough to replace if its a problem, also the hub is flip-flop and 14mm axle

I'm unsure whether to revert it back to standard OR treat it to some of the ideas in the trends for midschool bikes thread
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:28 PM by Jaymz »

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
Re: Finally landed a DK General Lee
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12 PM »
:)

If you want to revert it to stock, I've got kicking around here somewhere the right DK bars, grips, plaggy bar ends, brake lever, cranks, pedals and chainring.

You'll need a Tektro FS-15 for the rear brake, and grab a new sealed bearing for the rear wheel, and coke-can shim the bearing seat in the hub (done it loads on bikes in the past - perfectly safe ;) )

Tyre-wise thay were generic square tread dirt tyres, so go all crazy and pop some Primo dirtmonsters on there  :D
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Nice one danny, should be with me on monday  8) not sure of its future, whether to stock it, or give it some real midschool mods, the parts that have been changed seem to have been changed for the better, decisions decisions

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 09:19 PM »
No worries fella - give's a shout when you get it if you need owt  :daumenhoch:

I've got a fair old whack of mid-school schizz from the late 90's to 2003 kicking about so if you want to razzle it up a bit with period correct bits and bats let me know :)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:26 PM »
No worries fella - give's a shout when you get it if you need owt  :daumenhoch:

I've got a fair old whack of mid-school schizz from the late 90's to 2003 kicking about so if you want to razzle it up a bit with period correct bits and bats let me know :)
Nice one fella. Im not all that up on the midschool thing as stopped riding, but I felt as I had a couple of old schools and a couple of new schools, something mid school was needed to finish off the collection

lk_97

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:07 PM »
Give it some 'midschool-mods'  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:15 PM »
something mid school was needed to finish off the collection

And a nice way of doing just that - one of the late 90's more iconic frames the General, used to be around '98 you couldn't go to a park or trails without seeing at least one orange one :) Lot of em bit the sh1t though (the MK1's), heavy street riding on a frame designed for trails and some of them (not all) had a problem with the rear wishbones flexing too much.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 06:20 PM »
something mid school was needed to finish off the collection

And a nice way of doing just that - one of the late 90's more iconic frames the General, used to be around '98 you couldn't go to a park or trails without seeing at least one orange one :) Lot of em bit the sh1t though (the MK1's), heavy street riding on a frame designed for trails and some of them (not all) had a problem with the rear wishbones flexing too much.
Nice little tit bit of info there, cheers.

well I think I'm going to go the custom route as it'll give me more scope to fiddle with it over time as opposed to restore it then look at it, and I really do need to stop buying bikes, this ones going to live at work till after xmas I think, then be broght home piece by piece!!!!!

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 06:49 PM »
 :daumenhoch: Cracking - tbh if you reverted to stock on that one, you'd end up with low end cranks (which you would have swapped out bitd anyhow). The 2002 Generals were top of DK's completes range (with the 4,6 and 8 Pack below it) bar the racing stuff they did. Give me a shout fella if you need any period correct sprockets etc when you customise it :)

And just to show off a bit and wet your appetite for some mid-schoolery, here's the MK1 General again that I got in 1997 - Peregrine hoops on Phat Jacks, Profile SS cranks, Iron sealed peds etc ;)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Ok so those cranks and pedals made me man batter the keyboard!!!! Where the fook can i get those pedals, bet they are rocking horse shlt knowing my luck

lk_97

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Ok so those cranks and pedals made me man batter the keyboard!!!! Where the fook can i get those pedals, bet they are rocking horse shlt knowing my luck

These would look good :daumenhoch:

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/349/Primo_Super_Tenderizer_Magnesium_Pedals

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 07:08 PM »
They stopped making the OG sealed one's a while ago (they're slightly different on the new one's - not really noticable though), but you could up until around 2009 still pick up the unsealed DK Iron Cross Peds :) They also released magnesium one's late 2000's is teh zexy white ;)

You can still pick em up on t'Bay every now and again, also check out the Museum - there's an unsealed pair there for $15:

http://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/37413

Profile SS cranks - you can believe it or not even in weight weenie times still get em, but they're still pricey. I got the first set in the UK (other than the Ride mag one's) and remember holding em up to my regular profiles - meaty ;) They weigh a forkin ton though.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 07:10 PM »
will keep a look out for pedals,

think I'll strip the new school goodies off it, and try and trade for midschool stuff to keep the cost down, as it only cost me £35 in the first place!!!

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 07:19 PM »
Well I can bung you a 43/44T sprocket (prob a black Xposure) for nowt fella, I'll root round and have a butchers for more stuffs. The sprocket's the same as the one on my Holmes here:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=132820.0

lk_97

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 07:24 PM »
Well I can bung you a 43/44T sprocket (prob a black Xposure) for nowt fella, I'll root round and have a butchers for more stuffs. The sprocket's the same as the one on my Holmes here:

That sprocket is nice 8) if you find any early 90's pedals and a late 80's/early 90's front wheel lmk :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 07:26 PM »

sweet mate, that may save me changing the back wheel as it looks to have a 36t on the front and a 16t on the back, so one in the 40's would work a treat.

I'll wait til i get my hands on the bike and we can strike a deal fella, ive got a fair few OS and NS parts to trade, Actually got a NS DK stem Im about to replace with a demolition one on my S&M coming up for grabs soon, if that tickles your fancy

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Honestly fella, don't want owt for it :) I've got a crap load of late mid school sprockets - here's some that are reachable amongst the piles of crap:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 07:44 PM »
jesus wept!!!! like the profile, FBM and the bashguard ones, and that solid looking bugger on the top right

Offline webbie

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 08:48 PM »
I to like the fbm one just right for my 2 hips build me thinks  ;)

Offline generallee

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 09:44 PM »
One of the best frames I ever owned -[ the mark one USA made one]
And the frame I was renowned for riding - hence my username !
Although I gave up building old/mid bikes years ago, Id still build a mark one if I could find one!

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 11:49 PM »
i have a set of iron cross pedals, i'll see if i can find them over the weekend and let you know. i also have a mod i made to use 2 cables from the bottom of the gyro shaped in an iron cross from when i had a dk 6 pack. i'll get a photo of it at the weekend too.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2011, 06:29 AM »
i have a set of iron cross pedals, i'll see if i can find them over the weekend and let you know. i also have a mod i made to use 2 cables from the bottom of the gyro shaped in an iron cross from when i had a dk 6 pack. i'll get a photo of it at the weekend too.
swweet

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 03:38 PM »
Forgot to add this to this thread - one of me favourite Ride covers :)

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Nice. Is that 1" or 1"1/8 ???

Do you know where I can land a new set of decals, including fork decals?

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2011, 03:52 PM »
It's a 1 1/8" - does look like a 1" though :) The General only ever came 1 1/8", you can get 1" DK Pro's (the frame that the Generals were based on - basically they're a beefed up version of the DK Pro - the 1" Pro's are Kastan made).

Decals - if you mean the OG one's (that are on the Ride bike) then sadly there just aren't any floating around (unless someone here's got some). I can trace off, scan and rattle you up some .ai files if you want someone to repop em for ya though :)

Which reminds me - who on here's got the NOS S.O.B.? Really, really would like some close ups of the decals so I can repop 'em for my SOB ;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Mid School BMX (>87) 1989 to 2003 (<05)  |  Mid School ( Keep the faith )  |  DK General Lee :: sunny pics 19/2 ::

gfxgfx
gfx gfx