gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 07:06 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  9/16th pedal spindles been rechromes now wont fit !
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: 9/16th pedal spindles been rechromes now wont fit !  (Read 2577 times)

Offline neil

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
9/16th pedal spindles been rechromes now wont fit !
« on: December 07, 2011, 12:17 AM »
ive had some rechromed but now they wont fit my crank arms any ideas how to sort them out

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: 9/16th pedal spindles been rechromes now wont fit !
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:20 AM »
Your local bike shop will run a Die down them for you :4_17_5:

ukoldschool

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12 AM »
as said above, or a more difficult option is to find a time machine, fly back to just before you hand over the spindles to the chromers and put some tape over the threads and make them write on the job sheet not to chrome the threads. But obviously the first answer is a bit easier ;)

deeman

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 03:56 PM »
I would pprobably sand the chrome off the first couple of threads carefully with some fairly coarse paper, enough to give it a bite,then tighten as normal,the rest of the chrome should tap out? :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 04:33 PM »
I would pprobably sand the chrome off the first couple of threads carefully with some fairly coarse paper, enough to give it a bite,then tighten as normal,the rest of the chrome should tap out? :daumenhoch:
I would be wary of that as it will be the chromium plating between the thread pitch causing the problem. Run a Die down them it will take a few seconds :daumenhoch:

Offline neil

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 04:38 PM »
the problem is getting the dies for them! bike shops only seem to have taps for crank arms, does anyone have some dies i could borrow? :daumenhoch:

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 05:01 PM »
A dremel with wire brush attachment?
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 06:08 PM »
Take them back to the chromers to have the chrome process reversed. They should be able to remove just the chrome on the threaded part! :daumenhoch:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 12:24 PM »
file your crank bosses out n araldite them in  :daumenhoch: take care not to get any araldite on your fingers tho as they will remain tacky for some time and make shelling peas a job lasting longer than is necessary. ;)

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 12:47 PM »
file your crank bosses out n araldite them in  :daumenhoch: take care not to get any araldite on your fingers tho as they will remain tacky for some time and make shelling peas a job lasting longer than is necessary. ;)

:LolLolLolLol:

Offline neil

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 01:45 PM »
all sorted now Steve 69 has bought some dies  :daumenhoch: so if anyone has a similar problem pm steve im sure hell be able to sort em out for yous (for a small fee :daumenhoch:)

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 06:40 PM »

:2funny:  :2funny:

Offline neil

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 11:54 PM »

:2funny:  :2funny:
wish id thought of that  :LolLolLolLol: wouldve been a nice way to get the finish nice and smooth on me profiles :daumenhoch: :2funny:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 01:16 AM »

:LolLolLolLol: fookin brill

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  9/16th pedal spindles been rechromes now wont fit !

gfxgfx
gfx gfx