gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975754 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 17, 2024, 09:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  First build Streetbeat stem help
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: First build Streetbeat stem help  (Read 4886 times)

marcroff

First build Streetbeat stem help
« on: September 29, 2011, 03:55 PM »
Just starting to do a streetbeat build (my first bmx since 1988) Im ok with most of the parts i want for it, but wanted some advice on the stem. Im looking at a black/chrome/white stem, but dont really know what im looking for, any ideas? I would also like to put either a ACS rotor,or a odyssey gyro. Which one is better and will this cause a problem with the type of stem i go for?.

Thanks in advance. :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: First build Streetbeat stem help
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 04:18 PM »
ACS Do a stem that goes with a rotor

deeman

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:23 PM »
I have just been through this very dilemma myself,I hope i can save you the time and money its just cost me!I bought an acs rotor because i remember it was the first detangler to come out and i thought it worked.long and short is they are rubbish,its apoor design which doesnt tension evenly and works poorly even when set up right,i basically threw it in the bin.the other disadvantage of the rotor is that it means your stem must stick out at least an inch to compensate for the rotor and its sliding action,which not only looks ugly but is not the best for safety,it also means yor bars will sit an inch higher than they would normally.ACS bought out the 55 slant stem to compensate for this,designed to be used in conjunction with the rotor.Therefore if you want to use a rotor the stem shaft must be AT LEAST 3.5 inches long,and also not knurled or this will affect the rotors ability to slide up and down(the shaft!!).I have just bought an oddysey gyro2 which is a much better design,it tensions evenly from both sides and means that your stem sits alot lower than with the rotor.I have yet to fit the gyro but have been assured that it will be much better.the disadvantage of the gyro is that you must use the specific cables to make it work,luckily these are available in lots of colours and you do not have to stick with the black that comes with the kit.All detanglers however will affect the braking efficiency slightly and may not be as good as a straight cable.hope this helps! :daumenhoch:

mattuknc

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Just to add to ^^^^
I bought the Gyro2 for my Streetstyler it does work very well. Not all other brands of cables will fit. I purchased the BLANK set and the screwed ends that go into the plate are too small and will not fit. Just so you're aware.  ;)

ukoldschool

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 04:55 PM »
If you want to have even a remote chance of the brakes working it has to be an oddy gyro :)

deeman

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:58 PM »
yep,to add,if you get a gyro(they are available on ebay at 14.99 from skatepool,its best to stick to oddysey cables.ive got a set of savage cables which im assured will fit if a little tight but only cos they came in chrome!i may still have to revert to oddy cables

Offline Wadz

• Rockwalk
  • Ride Ride Ride!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 09:55 PM »
Well I think ya talking shit ihad a gyro 2 on my reflex and it was the biggest pile of cack I've ever bought could never get enough brake pressure and always adjusting the bloody thing
Swapped it for a acs rotor with boa calipers and there spot on no trouble at all.

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Well I think ya talking shit ihad a gyro 2 on my reflex and it was the biggest pile of cack I've ever bought could never get enough brake pressure and always adjusting the bloody thing
Swapped it for a acs rotor with boa calipers and there spot on no trouble at all.

I agree that if you lube the cables on an ACS and they work a treat :daumenhoch:

ukoldschool

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 09:45 AM »

I dont understnad how anyone cannot set up a gyro (the most widely used & copied system worldwide since 1986) correctly. Its riddiculously simple.

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 01:06 PM »
Harry Hill would make the rotor fight the Gyro about now.
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

theRuler

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 05:00 PM »
And the rotor would get its single cabled, stem raising, stupid doughnut shaped raggety ass kicked.

ukoldschool

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 05:21 PM »
even a spinmaster could kick an ACS rotors ass!

deeman

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 11:26 PM »
was i the only person who bought an m-zone spinner back in the day?it was sort of a rotor copy,came out not long after but actually worked a treat because of it very slim design.the rotor did not get a chance to tilt unevenly because it was so close to the shaft.i would happily buy one now if i could find one and scrap the gyro idea altogether!

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 11:36 PM »
Well guys, I have had both and the Oddy beats that sh*te old ACS rotor hands down  :daumenhoch: This is Tech 5's with Gyro 2, SAVAGE cables and 880 calipers  :coolsmiley:

The reason you have pressure problems on an Oddy Gyro is 2 things. You haven't set it up right or you're using the wrong levers. You need LONG levers for the Gyro like Tech 5's, Tech 6's, Tech 7's or Tech 77's.

I had the ACS rotor fitted with my 55 Slant and it's fooking cr*p. Like stopping on pool tyres in the wet  :crazy2:

My best setup so far on the Oddy Gyro is Tech 77's with Oddy cables, AD990 rear and Nippon front  :4_17_5:

Spot on when your using quality pads too  :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 11:51 PM by Londonhellboy »
BANNED

deeman

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 07:31 PM »
pleased to report that my oddy gyro 2 works a treat,does exactly what its supposed to do and fitted without complications,and having seen it in action i now realise it is streets ahead of the acs rotor,there is no competition! :daumenhoch:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 11:40 PM »
I had  Speedwheels Spinner BITD  :) spent ages fookin with it  ::) 25 years later I finally figured out that I don't really do anything that requires the bars to spin 360 so I've dumped the gyro and the brakes work better than ever  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline Wadz

• Rockwalk
  • Ride Ride Ride!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 06:51 PM »
 i had the same levers on the giro as i have on the rotor (tech 77's) the problem was when i endoed and tail whipped the frame around the forks as the frame got half way around the brake pressure would release , fooked around with this for months before swapping it for a rotor, giro never seem to sit right always slapping about  :-\, i'm not a idiot when coming to fixing things , it been my job for the last 20 years , :tickedoff: its all personal preferance just  had better brakes with the rotor.
if i ever get a haro bashguard i'll give the giro another go.

ukoldschool

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 10:16 AM »
i had the same levers on the giro as i have on the rotor (tech 77's) the problem was when i endoed and tail whipped the frame around the forks as the frame got half way around the brake pressure would release , fooked around with this for months before swapping it for a rotor, giro never seem to sit right always slapping about  :-\, i'm not a idiot when coming to fixing things , it been my job for the last 20 years , :tickedoff: its all personal preferance just  had better brakes with the rotor.
if i ever get a haro bashguard i'll give the giro another go.
why would the brake pressure release on the gyro - you pull the front brake for an endo ;)

wazza

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 12:21 PM »
acs work a treat when set up right.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  First build Streetbeat stem help

gfxgfx
gfx gfx