gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 11:18 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Haro Freestyler Gen1 copy
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Haro Freestyler Gen1 copy  (Read 8177 times)

Superkav

Haro Freestyler Gen1 copy
« on: November 18, 2011, 02:15 PM »
I picked up a very good Gen1 copy frame a while back, I originally thought (and hoped) I'd picked up a Torker but alas it's not one of them either. The only visible difference from a Gen1 is that the dropouts don't have a coaster tab and there is no serial. Other than that the frame looks a good length, from memory the top tube is 18.5" from the centre of the headtube to the centre of the seatpost tube. The rake 'looks' right and the 'brace between the top tubes is in the right location and is the right shape. The gusset has the front and back weld with the Gen1 style gap in the middle and the headtube is machined.
What I wanted to know is just how good a copy it is so If somebody wants to share the tech spec of a proper Gen1 I'd be very grateful.

If anyone is worried I'll be using the data to palm this off as a real Gen1 on ebay, never fear :police:. It's not chrome and it would cost me a fortune to get it looking good enough to sell as the real thing. I'm seriously thinking about listing it as a snide tho as if the dimensions are right i think it could go for reasonable money. Failing that I'm tempted to powder it white and rag it at MK. It'll give me a reason to get up there in the winter.

Will put some pics up later just for interest and provide the dimensions to compare. :daumenhoch:

**UPDATE**

I just dug it out of the garage and took some good snaps. there are the remnants of a light blue paintjob on the frame, lighter than a Raleigh Tuff Burner blue if the pics don't show it well. I hadn't unwrapped the forks before as I knew they weren't a match but they've got a brake cable guide on them which goes down the back of the fork as you'll see. Never seen that on forks before so I'd be interested in an ID if anyone recognises them. I also spotted a serial on the left outside dropout which is very faint and doesn't quite show up in the pic or to the eye so being a clever chap I made a rubbing and the serial is T5190692.

Measurements are in the pics as the frame angles. It's a light frame but I doubt it's UK made as i picked it up in California but who knows?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 09:06 PM by Superkav »

lk_97

Re: Haro Freestyler Gen1 copy
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 06:47 PM »
It sounds like a nice rider, but don't advertise it as the real thing...

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 06:49 PM »
There were a few made by Argos cycles in Bristol, if this is one of them it's probably better than the real deal !

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 07:07 PM »
One of my local bike shops had a couple of these frames hanging up from the rafters for a while in the early 90's I'd asked about them and was told they were UK made copies

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 07:23 PM »
I have one that's my rider. I love it. Dom saw it at MK and onlt found two things that seperated it from the real deal, 1. the serial number on the dropout was wrong and the whole in the TT gusset was so very slightly off centre, but mine does have a coaster tab

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:27 PM by Jaymz »

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 07:39 PM »
There were a few made by Argos cycles in Bristol, if this is one of them it's probably better than the real deal !

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000   :LolLolLolLol:

Superkav

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Any thoughts chaps?

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 01:31 PM »
The Rattlesnake were the closer Gen1 copy frame came in chrome with haro style  forks and  coaster tab  included  :)

apart from the serial it was only the headtube/ fork rake that was noticeably different , they made you're vectors look to far back .
So if you had copy vectors on one  too , makes  a real poo look  :crazy2:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 01:58 PM »
Yep, I've got one too >:D

Rode it off everything :shocked:

Still limping......

retrogeezer

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 03:43 PM »
I have a very good copy one too, the other usual difference that no-one has mentioned yet is that the chain stays meet the bottom bracket higher up than a real gen 1.

Offline stuntmaster

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 05:41 PM »
there was a shop in new malden that used to sell copy haro `s back in day so not that un common .
no1stuntmaster on instagram

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 06:10 PM »
there was a shop in new malden that used to sell copy haro `s back in day so not that un common .

Yep , definately a good few companies churned out clone Gen 1 freestylers at the time ,

,  each version with varying  differences

Here's a fake one I had and a real Haro I had  at the same time   had a few years ago

Look at the first pic and the last pic to tell the difference  ;)

Rattlesnake with copy vectors

even had the coaster bracket  ;)

and the real deal

Haro freestyler with copy Vectors

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 06:12 PM »
no wonder my redline bars on mine are so far forward, never noticed the headtube angle before !!!!!!

lk_97

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 06:14 PM »
They look a bit far back on the copy gen 1 hunterdubber.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 06:20 PM »

That's my point Lucas  :)

The copy vectors a not raked forward and are a giveaway sign when mounted next to real vectors

but shown here on a copy Gen1 frame where the headtube angle on the frame is ALSO relaxed back
it shows up alot  ::)

I bet some people have bought copy vector bars   though not knowing  :-\

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 08:37 PM »
I had copy vectors bitd . Thought they were great. Traded them 4 vdc monkey bars  :shocked: then traded those 4 a real set  :2funny: The difference is stunning 2 b honest . They were the dogs on my MRD expert  :coolsmiley: . I am surprised  more of these copy haro frames don't turn up . Both the copy bars and f&f's were made local 2 me by Rebel or may be even a company that made the skyway retrofit hubs.

Offline hunterdubber

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 08:42 PM »
I don't know brand names of the other Gen1 copy frames   
but I thought the Rattlesnake ones are from Germany I read somewhere

What were the ones made near you called Steve

lk_97

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 12:33 AM »

That's my point Lucas  :)

The copy vectors a not raked forward and are a giveaway sign when mounted next to real vectors

but shown here on a copy Gen1 frame where the headtube angle on the frame is ALSO relaxed back
it shows up alot  ::)

I bet some people have bought copy vector bars   though not knowing  :-\

Ohh right, they're nice to be honest, and I bet a few people have been tricked  :-\ especially with the bars as they would look fine on a real gen 1

oldskooldayz

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 12:42 AM »
anyone got a spare im currently looking for one please  :daumenhoch:

Hootski70

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 10:28 PM »
I will have a spare frame in a week , as i am waiting delivery . Will let you know .

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Haro Freestyler Gen1 copy

gfxgfx
gfx gfx