gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975643 Posts in 138929 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee July 04, 2024, 10:55 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Redline fork pegs?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Redline fork pegs?  (Read 4151 times)

BASH69

Redline fork pegs?
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:32 PM »
Im well aware i dont stand a chance of getting original Redline Fork pegs for the RL20 Prostyler, soooo, has anybody come up with a good looking alternative that can be put together with modern parts?

Im pretty sure the early forks are 27TPI but thats about as far as ive got at the mo :-\

Anybody come up with a decent work around?

Stew 8)

deeman

Re: Redline fork pegs?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:13 AM »
Hiya mate,im just starting an RL-20 rider myself,but my forks have no holes!27tpi sounds like a funny size!dont know what id do here,try and find a bolt or piece of axle etc that will screw in to the holes to get the thread size,then maybe weld something peg like to the end of it?or maybe wouldnt cost a fortune to get a pair custom turned on a lathe?Isaw some screw in pegs recently on ebay but for a schwinn predator freeform,maybe they could fit'there is a seller on ebay at the moment who has ALOT of nice redline stuff.if you put in redline bmx,look at the bars for sale by seller called wundawend,might be worth messaging him on ebay to see if he has a set.hope this helps a little,someone more knowledgable will no doubt give you a more helpful solution soon! :daumenhoch:

BASH69

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply, the ebayer your talking of was the guy i had my bars and F&F off - good to deal with!

Ive sourced a pair now anyway so no probs, there actually 24TPI on the early forks. The very early (83) frame/forks had no fork peg holes which is what i had back in the day, then  in 84 they started to add the holes high up on the forks which is the set i have now (along with the useful braised on brake cable routers for the Potts Mod  :daumenhoch:

How far have you got with your bike so far? Mines off to powder coat next week and im slowly building up parts as we speak  ;)

Stew

deeman

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 09:42 PM »
lol,ive got nowhere with the RL,apart from buying a seat!(white peregrine)im still reeling from the cost of building my last bike!the RL is gonna be a rider,so wont cost half the money.its actually an 85/86 frame which has had the original red powder stripped,but it has the 83/84 old skool decals.im going to powder it white and get it looking like yours presumably is.did you get the restored RL frame off the seller?it looked lovely.im gonna build mine hopefully with later forklifter freestyle bars and forklifter stem as im not too worried about it looking like the 84 ad,but will have the old decals and hopefully some white peregrine/ogk mags.which bars did you get with the frame?i was watching the straight str's for mine but i prefer the forklifter freestyles and as its not actually an 84 frame and im gonna ride it im not being that anal with this one.glad you got the pegs sorted!cant wait tooo see some pics! :daumenhoch:

BASH69

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 11:53 AM »
The F&F is completly bear metal, off to the powder coaters this week. Already have the decals ready to go on.

I have a set of the race type Forklifter bars which im gonna hit with the Coke and foil today. Mine will be a rider aswell so i dont want it exactly the same as the 84 advert either, im basically building it as i wanted mine when i was a kid  :daumenhoch:

Want a coaster brake on the rear too so i cant afford to be too choosy about Peregrines/Tuffs - whatever comes up in decent straight condition really!

I spoke to an old mate of mine last week about the build and he actually has a set of original 401 flights in his garage which he bought a few years back when he was gonna do a build but he never got the time - so lucky for me there now mine  :smitten:

Out of interest, What tyres are you gonna run on yours?

deeman

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 01:31 PM »
what a result,have you seen the money 401's go for?if its any help i have a nos white acorn freestyle wheel with suntour coaster,its in mint condition but its an orphan,i dont have the front unfortunately.im probably gonna have to go with the twin pinches unfortunately as budget wont allow for 401's.i saw that raw f and f,are you going for white?look slike they will both be getting built at same time,should be interesting!i will start a thread as soon as i get mine back from powdercoat.could be a coupla 3 weeks yet.will be interesting to see how they both turn out,looking forward to seeing them both.bit unsure about tyres,might go for the porkchop repo black comp st's as i need another 16" set for another little project i have on go! :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 01:54 PM by deeman »

BASH69

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 03:00 PM »
Yer definatly white! My original bike back in the day was chrome and i always wanted the white 1!

The 401s need a small bit of welding and rechrome TBH but only a small thing anyway. I would have quite happily run the twin pinches and that was the original plan, just the right place - right time!

Thanks for the offer of the Acorn, i currently have my eyes on a few sets of Tuffs but il let you no if they dont come off!

So far the basic build is looking like this -

White F&F
White Tuffs with either black whitewalls or white tyres - not sure yet!
Chrome Forklifter bars
Chrome seat post
Black seat, grips, headset and seat clamp
Repo padset from 1 of the members here
silver brakes (MX1000 or Nippon) with black & silver locking Tech77s (having trouble getting hold of those though)
Waiting on a decent Forklifter stem with potts

The only thing it will have on it that will be out of character will be a black Gyro, i had an ACS back in the day and it never really worked all that well and also went through lower cables like crazy, as this will be a rider id rather have a decent rear brake!

Id also love 1 of the repo plates for the bars but i cant get a responce from any of the USA guys that were making them  :'(

deeman

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 03:40 PM »
fook me mate,sounds like we will have more or less the same bike!!im going for a gyro too,dont bother wasting time with the rotor,they are shite,i found out the hard way.im gonna go for a forklifter with potts too.will be interesting to see the 2  bikes developing! :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 10:31 PM »
just keep looking for the tech 77's mate,they come up often enough.It should be easy enough to make your own plate,i was thinking of doing the same myself depending on which bars i end up with.i Dropped mine at the powdercoaters today,a local place my mate uses for doing large signs.I dont think they had much on as they were just standing around!£30 for the f and f and it'll be ready in the morning!happy days!ill have a pic up in next few days as soon as i get the decals for it. :daumenhoch:

BASH69

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 07:04 AM »
Ooooohhh you bigger, I haven't had time to get to the powder coater yet. Hopefully today!

With regards to the plate I just ordered mine from this Guy -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Redline-Forklifter-Number-Plate-replica-/300623969430?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45fe95bc96

$55 delivered including the nice ingraving ;)

I alrieady have my decals!

deeman

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 10:08 AM »
mmmmm...the plate looks lovely!i will be ordering one myself if i get the right bars!they are the bars im after really,budget may dictate that i have to use something else though.theres a couple of forklifters on ebay at the moment,a beautiful nos silver one being sold by a member on here and a couple of ropier ones,one in black and one in turquoise.i know i cant afford the nos one!look forward to some pics!! :daumenhoch:

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 08:24 AM »

Fork pegs come up on ebay.com now & then , be eagle eyed & patient  ;)

deeman

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 03:14 PM »

silver brakes (MX1000 or Nippon) with black & silver locking Tech77s (having trouble getting hold of those though)

l have just spotted on ebay white tech 5 locking levers which i think i will probably go for,they will be much more in keeping with the bike,especially yours as it is a genuine 84.I have tech 77's on my other bike,but only because i just cant get hold of the original ACS locking levers i had.The tech 77's didnt come out til later,and tbh i dont even remember them bitd,id probably given up by then!they are nice levers though,if you can find me some acs lockers,you are welcome to them! :daumenhoch:

Id also love 1 of the repo plates for the bars but i cant get a responce from any of the USA guys that were making them  :'(

BASH69

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 10:12 PM »
I had tech 5s back in the day - my favourite looking lever, although i seem to remember they would smash into the ground on every Miami Hopper  ;D

deeman

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 10:27 PM »
LOL,you are probably right,I used to have non locking tech 5's bitd before i got the locking ACS.I think i'm gonna go with the tech v's for my build.I got the freestyle forklifters btw,so i will probably be ordering a plate too!just got to wait til i get them to find out which version they are.I ordered my decals today too.Did you collect your frame from pc yet?I intend to try a few miami hoppers once i get this bike built,one of my favourite tricks!I wouldt dare try one on my other bike for fear of scuffing one of the built in forkstanders on my nos frame and forks!

BASH69

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Yep, frame is back. Not a perfect job because of the state of the frame but you have to look pretty hard to see the faults  ;)

Just gotta find some time to get the decals and headset on, hopefully over the weekend  :-\

deeman

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 10:40 AM »
Yep, frame is back. Not a perfect job because of the state of the frame but you have to look pretty hard to see the faults  ;)

Just gotta find some time to get the decals and headset on, hopefully over the weekend  :-\

Good news!im itching to put my decals on too!get a pic up on here when youve done it!cant wait to see it!I had a headset in stock but its chrome,I'm gonna have to get a black one though i think.I shouldnt be so fussy as its a rider,but you know how it is!

BASH69

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 12:38 PM »
I no what you mean, the black headset goes with the theme though in my opinion - and for the sake of a tenner (ish)  ;)

The RL20 iis looked better with chrome but the originals need to be black!

deeman

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 01:23 PM »
I no what you mean, the black headset goes with the theme though in my opinion - and for the sake of a tenner (ish)  ;)

The RL20 iis looked better with chrome but the originals need to be black!

totally agree!its all in the details sometimes! :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 11:37 PM »
any pics yet stew?? :daumenhoch:

BASH69

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Not yet mate, ive been that busy with work etc i havnt even had time to apply the decals  :(

Did you win that forklifter stem you were watching?

deeman

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 05:06 PM »
Not yet mate, ive been that busy with work etc i havnt even had time to apply the decals  :(

Did you win that forklifter stem you were watching?

no worries mate,still cant wait to see it!I didn't get the one i wanted,they are going for too much on ebay.A member on here pointed me in the direction of bmxmuseum where I found a 'fakelifter' with potts bolt.Its been stripped already,so I'm gonna give it a lick of white paint and i've got the decal already!I hate fake anything,but i'm going to have to allow this one as I have to be practical. :daumenhoch:

BASH69

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 08:05 PM »

no worries mate,still cant wait to see it!I didn't get the one i wanted,they are going for too much on ebay.A member on here pointed me in the direction of bmxmuseum where I found a 'fakelifter' with potts bolt.Its been stripped already,so I'm gonna give it a lick of white paint and i've got the decal already!I hate fake anything,but i'm going to have to allow this one as I have to be practical. :daumenhoch:

I no what you mean, ive been looking at different options for a stem just to get it rideable, a forklifters on the cards eventually, its just gonna take some time  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  Redline fork pegs?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx