gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975753 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 12, 2024, 02:34 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  steering tube thread pitch
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: steering tube thread pitch  (Read 1958 times)

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
steering tube thread pitch
« on: November 24, 2011, 02:48 PM »
can anyont please tell me the thread size and pitch for the steering tube on old school forks please? looking to get a tap to try and sort some threads out, but got nothing to measure them.. thanks in advance :)

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Re: steering tube thread pitch
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:35 PM »
no one? really?  :'(

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 10:14 PM »
i think it's 1"x 24tpi but would have to check for you tomorrow when i get to work.
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 12:17 AM »
Much appreciated :daumenhoch:

currio

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 06:05 PM »
As Steve said, its a 1" x 24 BSC thread.
That's 24 tpi, british standard cycle thread  :daumenhoch:

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 07:03 PM »
cheers fella  :4_17_5:

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 02:42 PM »
die sourced, and threads sorted a treat :) also goes to show that it pays to shop around. 1"x24 die through park tools (bike tools supplier) £114!!!! through a tap and die stockist, £18. guess which one i bought?

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 06:51 PM »
die sourced, and threads sorted a treat :) also goes to show that it pays to shop around. 1"x24 die through park tools (bike tools supplier) £114!!!! through a tap and die stockist, £18. guess which one i bought?

do you have a link as i need one  :daumenhoch:

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 11:46 PM »

the company is called traceytools.com  the die i got was a 1"x24 BUT its a whitworth not BSC. the thread pitch is exactly the same, but the angle of the thread is very slightly different. think bsc is a 65degree cut, WW is a 55degree cut. i got it on their advice and it worked a treat. i was convinced my forks were scrap, but they sorted it out lovely. also bought a 2" die stock off them for 9 quid bargain! so die, die stock, postage and vat came in at £36 total. but if you are coming on the london ride, you are more than welcome to borrow it?

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 09:40 AM »

the company is called traceytools.com  the die i got was a 1"x24 BUT its a whitworth not BSC. the thread pitch is exactly the same, but the angle of the thread is very slightly different. think bsc is a 65degree cut, WW is a 55degree cut. i got it on their advice and it worked a treat. i was convinced my forks were scrap, but they sorted it out lovely. also bought a 2" die stock off them for 9 quid bargain! so die, die stock, postage and vat came in at £36 total. but if you are coming on the london ride, you are more than welcome to borrow it?

don't think i'm gonna make the london ride but if you could post it i'd pay the postage  :daumenhoch:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Matt, you and I were talking about this on the pm earlier bud.

Andy (58delray) and I are always posting stuff up and down the country to each other so if we send this recorded between us and then back to you, could we borrow it ???

It would be really appreciated as my brother has a set of forks that need too many washers on to tighten down so a few new threads at the bottom on the steerer would be ideal.

Let me know if we could borrow this and we'll get it back to you asap mate - deffo send it to Andy first though as he needs it sooner than my bro :daumenhoch:

Spen
Still limping......

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Matt, you and I were talking about this on the pm earlier bud.

Andy (58delray) and I are always posting stuff up and down the country to each other so if we send this recorded between us and then back to you, could we borrow it ???

It would be really appreciated as my brother has a set of forks that need too many washers on to tighten down so a few new threads at the bottom on the steerer would be ideal.

Let me know if we could borrow this and we'll get it back to you asap mate - deffo send it to Andy first though as he needs it sooner than my bro :daumenhoch:

Spen

:daumenhoch:

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 11:43 AM »
no probs guys. Andy, pm me your address and il try and get it posted to you, then you can send it on to spen afterwards :)

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 11:53 AM »
no probs guys. Andy, pm me your address and il try and get it posted to you, then you can send it on to spen afterwards :)
nice one mate, i'll need the complete tool if you get what i mean  :daumenhoch:

Offline mattbloke

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 11:55 AM »
no probs, always a complete tool down this end :D

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 11:58 AM »
no probs, always a complete tool down this end :D

:2funny:

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 12:10 PM »
Yep, no agument there from em either - everyone thinks I'm a complete tool up here too :LolLolLolLol:
Still limping......

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  steering tube thread pitch

gfxgfx
gfx gfx