gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:29 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  caustic stuck old alloy seatpost problem
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: caustic stuck old alloy seatpost problem  (Read 1982 times)

firebird4130

caustic stuck old alloy seatpost problem
« on: October 31, 2011, 09:49 PM »
Right, I have the old stuck alloy post issue, so I have rather reluctantly began the potentially lethal task of dissolving it with caustic, trouble is this has been going on for the past five days and nights now with me out there pouring in the crystals, followed by a load of boiling water then hot footing it back indoors like i've just lit saddam hussains favourite firework he had hidden under his mattress, trouble is everytime I go back to inspect my handywork(sunglasses of course on) nothings happened, just a small amount of blackish slime, am I doing something wrong, do I need to invest in more potent chemicals, any advice would be much appreciated neighbours are getting suspicious   ;)

Offline steve69

• Flip-Whip
  • aka. Steve Changa
  • Rated:
Re: caustic stuck old alloy seatpost problem
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 10:18 PM »
I would dissolve the crystals in hot water first, then pour into the seat tube. i think you may have clogged the tube with crystals (which seems to set like stone)
Try getting a long screwdriver and bore a hole down it so the water has a better chance of dissolving the caustic.

Good luck :daumenhoch:

it is a slow job, try not to rush the process...   slowly slowly catchy monkey  ;)
If there's air in the tyres... it's a rider

Offline jT Racing

• BMX Overlord
  • i like bikes. :/
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 11:42 PM »
Yeah, he's bang on. Make your mix, pour it in. Patience is needed.
ding dong

firebird4130

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 01:05 AM »
cool, think you may have it there I will try the screwdriver tomorrow  :daumenhoch:

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 09:28 PM »
U don't need a lot of crystals buddy  ;) bit at a time fella  :D I have done loads and it always works  ;) Helps if it isn't done outside in the cold . I used a blow torch 2 reinvigorate the mixture . Plus every time u do a mix flush out all the gunk then start again  :daumenhoch: murder that ally post fella  :daumenhoch:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 11:35 PM »
well funny this question has been ask as i'm doing the same boring thing - and guess the CS has gone solid inside

had a look today and it seem to of been sick, as it looks like a poltergeist has thrown up black stuff and it's drip down the frame and started to dry white - freaky stuff  :shocked:

I can see the post has got smaller and just wonder if next year it will be ready to let go  ;D
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 11:41 PM »
. I used a blow torch 2 reinvigorate the mixture .

:LolLolLolLol:    a few deep breaths over the end of the hole just to check the mixture is working too ...... you should feel a slight burning sensation around the inner lung area  :D

Good luck Fraz , it does work  ;)
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

firebird4130

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 11:50 PM »
cheers , will keep at it then  :daumenhoch: was about to give up and try to get it drilled out somewhere , hopefully won't have to ever use the sh1t again after this, chemicals and me is just not a good idea   :LolLolLolLol:
. I used a blow torch 2 reinvigorate the mixture .

:LolLolLolLol:    a few deep breaths over the end of the hole just to check the mixture is working too ...... you should feel a slight burning sensation around the inner lung area  :D

Good luck Fraz , it does work  ;)
U don't need a lot of crystals buddy  ;) bit at a time fella  :D I have done loads and it always works  ;) Helps if it isn't done outside in the cold . I used a blow torch 2 reinvigorate the mixture . Plus every time u do a mix flush out all the gunk then start again  :daumenhoch: murder that ally post fella  :daumenhoch:

ukoldschool

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 01:26 PM »
cheers , will keep at it then  :daumenhoch: was about to give up and try to get it drilled out somewhere , hopefully won't have to ever use the sh1t again after this, chemicals and me is just not a good idea   :LolLolLolLol:

thats odd, me + chemicals = the worlds greatest dancer

firebird4130

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 02:28 PM »
 :daumenhoch:

paddy2

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 03:07 PM »
i always use liquid concentrate caustic .just fill and watch it go!!it is industrial caustic liquid tho ;D

Offline TORKER mick

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 08:24 PM »
i always use liquid concentrate caustic .just fill and watch it go!!it is industrial caustic liquid tho ;D
where do you get that from :daumenhoch:

paddy2

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 08:35 PM »
where do you get that from :daumenhoch:

work matey ;) we use it alot so take a bit when i need it ;)

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 12:12 AM »
Has it worked yet  :D
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 12:17 AM »
Gloves and goggles needed...!!! It works and good luck ;)
Griff loves BUM..

firebird4130

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 08:28 AM »
not worked yet, the thinned remnants are still stuck to the edges of the seatpost tube,I can now get a post in far enough if I cut it down, so may just do that  :daumenhoch:

Rodgy1970

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 08:31 AM »
not worked yet, the thinned remnants are still stuck to the edges of the seatpost tube,I can now get a post in far enough if I cut it down, so may just do that  :daumenhoch:

caustic it again    :daumenhoch:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Flush with warm (not Boiling Hot) water and as is says on the bottle.....

Rinse and repeat  :daumenhoch:

Flush a few times sounds as if you have too much gunk/CS/debris down the seat tube.

:daumenhoch:

I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  caustic stuck old alloy seatpost problem

gfxgfx
gfx gfx