gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Black Chrome
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Black Chrome  (Read 1283 times)

FuNMoNsTeR

Black Chrome
« on: May 30, 2006, 04:42 PM »
Anyone know a reputable, reasonabley priced firm/person who can black chrome my Mongoose Pro Class f+f  ???
 :daumenhoch:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Black Chrome
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 05:19 PM »
Don't do it.  Mongoose Pro Classes were not 'real' black chrome, they were 'normal' show chrome with a tinted lacquer applied over the top.

Offline Nosnod

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 05:28 PM »
Pro Class F&F were available BITD in show chrome as well as the black chrome. Save yourself the hassle and cost

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 07:02 PM »
The one i have is Black Chrome(not coated)... It is patchy and needs re-doing really. I always wanted a Black chrome one and all the other pro classes i see are chrome or just black... i want to be different  ;D
 Here is the sexy biatch

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 07:31 PM »
No, the one you have is chrome with a tinted lacquer over the top, Mongoose NEVER used Black Chrome, I did a lot of research into this when I was rebuilding my Pro Class.  This is mine in its original condition, you can see the tinted finish when compared to the seat post.

Not all Pro Classes are Black OR Chrome, mine is exactly the way Mongoose intended, Chrome with a tinted lacquer.

stuey

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 10:58 AM »
I know Ive posted this before this is my night burner I had the black chrome re-popped at Aerocoat (www.aerocoat.net) if thats helpful.

Superkav

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 11:17 AM »
The pictures don't do it justice but I have seen a sample chromed pole with the black laquer over the top....stunning. I'm sure your DB will appreciate a new coat.

if you contact the company they can send you a sample on a 3"x3" piece of aluminium so you can get an idea of how it looks in the flesh.

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 12:29 PM »
Cool m8... thanks for the heads up i will contact them ;)   Can you PM me what it cost you?.
 With regards to coated frames. I used nitromors on the Proclass last night and although there is a very thin laquer layer the chrome underneath it is definately smoke chrome/black chrome.

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 01:52 PM »
I am not saying you are wrong m8... I am telling you what is on my f+f.. I have had a Leary Turbo and its original finish was exactly how you described the Pro Class finish... show chrome with a layer of tinted laquer. I nitromorsed the Turbo and was left with a show chrome bike.
 My Pro Class has a light laquer layer... when i nitromorsed a patch of this off there was no real colour change... under the laquer was fresh shiny smoke/black chrome. Removing the laquer just removed the Dullness..... the patches where the smoke chrome has faded/worn is just Nickel plate which is mostly apparent on the forks.

Superkav

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 02:27 PM »
I'm pretty sure Stuey had his Burner either chromed first or coated with a powder chrome finish before the black laquer went on as I'm pretty sure the chrome needs to be a very good finish before the laquer is applied. Just mentioning that as he might not have a separate price for the laquer....or maybe he will and I'll just shut my big mouth.

stuey

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 04:48 PM »
The finish aerocoat applied is black superchrome applied over a chrome powder (they refer to it as reflectra) they blasted the chrome and applied the chrome powder then the  black superchrome over the top. the FF&B cost me £130 to get done (you would need to ring and ask as this was nearly a year ago though) speak to adam at aeorcoat as he's the techy guy tell him you want a superchrome black finish like mine (they do a normal black chrome powder which is slightly different)

hope this helps clear it all up. if you need anything else feel free to PM me.

FuNMoNsTeR

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2006, 04:08 PM »
Thanks for all the info m8 :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Black Chrome

gfxgfx
gfx gfx