gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975623 Posts in 138926 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 23, 2024, 08:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Recmommend me a Bmx or Bike for 4 1/2 year old.
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Recmommend me a Bmx or Bike for 4 1/2 year old.  (Read 525 times)

don

Recmommend me a Bmx or Bike for 4 1/2 year old.
« on: October 14, 2011, 09:23 AM »
Right Dads,

I need to get a new bike for my son but what can I get. He is quite small for his age last measured at about 105 cm but has been riding a bike without stabilizers from before he was 3 after using a balance bike to learn the balance (great idea those - no stabilizers ever needed).

Currently he has a hand me down 12” Raleigh baby bike the sort you see in Halfords/argos which come with stabilizers and weigh more than the sun. He loves going to the indoor skatepark nearby and I wanted to get him a better bike for this and general riding.  Anyway looking on the web it’s hard to find standover heights of bikes.

I have been looking at 16” bmx’s but I have a feeling that the will currently be a bit too big. That’s not too bad as he is going to grow and I don’t really want to get one that will only last 6 months but obviously I don’t want it to be too big.   Looking on winstanleys from the photos the smaller bikes looked to be the Diamond back viper, Lil Ripper  and a couple of others. I spoke to a fella at winstanleys and he said the cheaper bikes like diamond back would suffer from weight issues like his current 12” bike and suggested the Redline Proline Pitboss 16” (mega pricey :-O), the lil ripper looks good to me as the top tube looks a tad lower than the other bikes.

Another option is the Isla bike cnoc 16 which from the website fits but would be nice to have a bmx it possible as he loves the skate park.

Anyone any ideas or have 16” bikes able to give standover heights?

Cheers in advance

Don.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
Re: Recmommend me a Bmx or Bike for 4 1/2 year old.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 09:41 AM »
Redline microline maybe

curtispro

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Give Stodgy a ring at the RAD SHOP, he sorted out my 4 year old with a cracking FIT 16" BMX bike and he loves it, was a tad big but he rides it OK, great little bike and built really well, even my 12 year old takes it for a rip when he's not looking, proper BMX bike  :daumenhoch:

He was 4 years old in this picture

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Where are you? You can borrow my daughter's 16" Lil Ripper for as long as you like to decide if he can ride a 16" as I got it s/h in blue and will be re-powdering it pink for her in a year as she's only ust 3 and can't ride it yet!

Just a thought bud to help you decide ;-)

Spen
Still limping......

don

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Where are you? You can borrow my daughter's 16" Lil Ripper for as long as you like to decide if he can ride a 16" as I got it s/h in blue and will be re-powdering it pink for her in a year as she's only ust 3 and can't ride it yet!

Just a thought bud to help you decide ;-)

Spen

Wow thanks great offer Mount Hawke cornwall so probably light years away from you.

If thats too far would you be able to measue the top tube height @ the seat post and also lowest seat height.

Cheers

curtispro

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Link to the geometry for the ripper  :daumenhoch:

http://www.sebikes.com/2012_16lilripper.php

don

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 01:04 PM »
Link to the geometry for the ripper  :daumenhoch:

http://www.sebikes.com/2012_16lilripper.php

Cheers I'd seen that but being a bit of a trigger couldn't work out how to get the  standover height. I presumed the seat tube center to top is from the BB up to the clamp probably wrong though.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 01:28 PM »
Wow, that is a whole galaxy away from Sheffield or the Midlands......

I will have course measure the seat hieght over the weekend and get back to you bud. Pity as the bike is already scratched and you'd have been more than welcome to try it out ;-)

Spen
Still limping......

Offline Jt

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 01:40 PM »
pm stuartD on here..he has a 16" haro thats been upgraded with some nice bits for a great price...60-70 quid from memory..

i have no use for it currently, but i'd snap it up if i did have.

regards

Jt

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 05:35 PM »
 :) As J.T says,go with the Haro.They are not stupidly heavy-ask Badbaldie,his lad rips on one :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Recmommend me a Bmx or Bike for 4 1/2 year old.

gfxgfx
gfx gfx