gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 02:55 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Resto advice for yellow (steel hubbed) Tuff II's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Resto advice for yellow (steel hubbed) Tuff II's  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Resto advice for yellow (steel hubbed) Tuff II's
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:40 PM »
Evening chap's,

Hoping you guy's can point me in the right direction on a dilema i have :-\.......i spotted some yellow tuff's on Ebay.com late one night for a BIN price that was too good to turn down (though no Int. shipping), though i believe if you dont ask you dont get. Emailed the seller  & he said yes (top bloke) :daumenhoch:, they arrived in 1 week from the states & no custom's charge which was a result!! My dilema is do i dye them (yellow) or after reading another thread on here do i get them aqua blasted??

Here's the  one's from the state's
In the photo's they look pretty sweet, i want to put these on a carpet queen  so they need to be 10/10

Now about 8 months ago i had another pair of yellow tuff's which were faded so i went down the dyeing route, though stupidly i read  a thread on here wrong & put 3pkt's of dye instead of 2....doh!! They went from this to this Then tried dyeing them to red & fooked up, so they are gonna be black now. Dont wanna screw these one's up, so any advice would be greatly appreciated :daumenhoch:

sid1972

Re: Resto advice for yellow (steel hubbed) Tuff II's
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:46 PM »
I would try the less aggressive option first - the old dish washer..

If that fails - very, very fine wet and dry paper to remove the discolour and some good neutral boot polish.

and then Aqua blast if its not the result you want - I can give you the details of the chap I used in my thread.

if that does not do it dye em.

;)

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:28 PM »
simple - try bleaching them - the colour should fade out if it's not had a fixer added - won't hurt to try - will need to polish up metal parts after - couple of days in a check regularly

cheers  B  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

ukoldschool

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 09:10 AM »
I think hes after advice on what to do with the yellow tuffs he's just bought rather than the other ones which he's already fecked up :)

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:18 AM »
my mistake  :D

if you dye them used DYLON DYE / GOLDEN GLOW x 2

the orange one's will dye to red if you want - you just need to get the technique right and use the right stuff

here's a quick way of doing it

the Gorden Ramsay way of dying wheels [/size]

take 1 set of OGK's - slightly faded

wash

pick out any dirty bits missed

scrape off any brake marks

bleach

hot water

salt

dye

put in and leave for 24 hours - turning and stirring every so often

cover

take out and wash in cold water - then dry

now ready to serve - i mean ride - DONE

cheers B[/size]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 10:20 AM by BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN »
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:25 PM »
great result there bendy :daumenhoch:

my mistake  :D

if you dye them used DYLON DYE / GOLDEN GLOW x 2

the orange one's will dye to red if you want - you just need to get the technique right and use the right stuff

here's a quick way of doing it

the Gorden Ramsay way of dying wheels [/size]

take 1 set of OGK's - slightly faded

wash

pick out any dirty bits missed

scrape off any brake marks

bleach

hot water

salt

dye

put in and leave for 24 hours - turning and stirring every so often

cover

take out and wash in cold water - then dry

now ready to serve - i mean ride - DONE

cheers B[/size]

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 09:55 PM »
I think hes after advice on what to do with the yellow tuffs he's just bought rather than the other ones which he's already fecked up :)

You were spot on mate, it was the new one's i needed the advice on :daumenhoch:

Offline Chromo Buzz

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:05 PM »
Excellent work on those OGK's Bendycat :smitten:, it was your thread i followed last time but i fecked up on by putting one too many packets of the dye in the pot :uglystupid2:
 They ended up like this when i tried  dyeing them red
I'm gonna dye  these  black now, they will go on an 85 Sport (future build) f/forks powdered in yellow with black components, So all is not lost :)

Thanks again guy's for your advice ;) :daumenhoch:

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 01:51 PM »
I can only guess that it is where you get a top layer on skyway mags - this looks faded and mostly on the inside of the spokes and not the spines of the spokes so to speak - it looks like a layer of dust that won't move

when doing up skyways you some times have a load of this on them - this needs to be removed or it can show up after a dye as dark patches

I guess you have three things to try here - sand them down again and this will take a long time with hard work - or auqa blast them but cost big money or dye them black and polish up the hubs to a good finish to make them look good

;)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Resto advice for yellow (steel hubbed) Tuff II's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx