gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 08:26 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing anodizing
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Removing anodizing  (Read 3541 times)

nosepickben

Removing anodizing
« on: October 06, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Does anyone know of an effective, comercially available product for fetching off anodizing..??
I have used nitromors succesfully on shimano dx's but it won't fetch off the coating on a sprocket i'm trying to get back to bare.
Thanks.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Removing anodizing
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 11:30 AM »
Don't use Oven cleaner it is for wimps, get yourself some caustic soda and do it that way. 

In my opinion you are not a proper BMX restorer/collector until you have had a big lungful of caustic soda fumes and coughed your guts up.  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 12:46 PM »
X2 on the caustic soda - I like the 'sharpness of lung' it gives you if you do it in a confined space :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 01:20 PM »
HAMMERS...BIG ONES.  >:D
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 01:53 PM »
Don't use Oven cleaner it is for wimps, get yourself some caustic soda and do it that way. 

In my opinion you are not a proper BMX restorer/collector until you have had a big lungful of caustic soda fumes and coughed your guts up.  :LolLolLolLol:

yup tis the only way  :daumenhoch:   ,  don't use your lasses marigolds either thats for real puffs and will get you barred from all future discusions about chemical abuse .............. :LolLolLolLol:

nosepickben

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 02:32 PM »
X2 on the caustic soda - I like the 'sharpness of lung' it gives you if you do it in a confined space :)

fantastic!! Thanks chaps   ;)

nosepickben

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 02:34 PM »
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=17958.0

Cheers dude, I spelt anodizing differently so it didn't show up when i searched!  :daumenhoch:

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 03:15 PM »
I actually do find caustic soda a damn sight more controllable than oven pride though. With caustic you can see the anodising coming off instantly, dip it in clean cold water immediately after and jobs done.  I have seen with oven pride that if you leave it too long it can start eating into the metal.

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 03:57 PM »
Same here - keep a knacked old toothbrush handy just incase you get any of that grey 'soot' forming on the aluminium, under the cold tap straight off and a good scrub.
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

ultrasham241

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 06:12 PM »
caustic soda is the tits!  but be carefull  on the bare ally!! like said above  get under the water

nosepickben

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 03:25 PM »
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice here, results as follows; will do my best to describe things, i have no camera.
I had a black anodized TREE sprocket & bashguard. 7075 ally.
On day one, I found some oven pride minus the proper bags in the garage. I slopped it on the sprocket in a supermarket carrier bag & rubbed away. The ano came off easily but left a weird, almost psychadelic mottled finish to the ally after I washed off the goo with water.
Day two, caustic soda granules bought from boots for £2.50, dissolved in water carefully and placed in the unstripped bashguard (came with sprocket - same material and colour) to see if the finish was better. It took 4x30second dip & rinses to get the ano off. I used 1 litre of water & 1/4 of a tub of soda. The finish to the ally after soda-dip was not really much better than the oven pride.
Day three, polished with autosol and wow! The desired effect was achieved. First polish got loads of the dirty/mottled finish off but left it looking a little water-marked. A second firm polishing and it's near perfect.
Tomorrow it's going on my S.T.A.    :D

Offline oldschoolib

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 06:34 PM »
ive tried allsorts but oven pride seemded to work best for me ?

russ j

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 10:09 PM »
I found that with Oven Pride it 'looses' it 'potency' very quickly and your for ever applying fresh Oven Pride liquid especially if your stripping and good few items.

So for this reason i use caustic soda as i found that this stuff is just as potent from the first item to the last item

Even if you leave your alloy items in the caustic soda for a little too long and you get the 'tarnished' surface this will polish off easily enough on a polishing wheel with the correct polish compound

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing anodizing

gfxgfx
gfx gfx