gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 07:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  My first BMX Replica build (79' Motomag) Updated alittle ;)
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My first BMX Replica build (79' Motomag) Updated alittle ;)  (Read 2475 times)

Offline GT world

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Well im unsure if this is the right area to start this topic but thought i would share this very important build...well to me anyway :P

Spring 1980 me dad thought it was time for a new bike as my ageing Grifter was about goosed.
Anyway at the time for some reason we ended up at TUCKERS CYCLES in Guisborough.This was a cracking shop although short lived from what i remember.
Armed with £130 the choice was errmm crap!...i remember another £50 bought a whole different world but a budgets a budget.

I remember me dad asking what have you got for 130 quid and remember tucker pulling this yellow goose from out the back for some reason.

Anyway the rest is history and home came a motomag.
The bike i had was the same as all motomags of the time other than its supplied oddity suntour gold seat clamp and a silver fluted post.It also had a front brake to complement the rear coaster that i cant think for the life of me what it was...it was definatly silver and nothing special so any ideas?

The build as you see it is bang on as it left tuckers bar the tyres which are a little earlier....i like these NOS bronx orbits anyway so bite me :LolLolLolLol:

I have the right cranks,oury grips,snowflake when it turns up but unsure what chain was used and ideas on the front brake setup?

Still need a gooseneck and bar pad set in black,a set of gold anno caps that he gave me at the time and a nice set of unions but struggling to find a not so bright set ^"^

Im also wondering what is involved in converting these mags to coasters?

Anyway heres a start ;)...Hope you like how shes looking.

Well its been a slow week on the Goose due to waiting on bits from the states  :( ..Still a few bits arrived so thought what the hell.These oury grips were never great but the piont of this build was to mimic what tucker sold me so check these out :daumenhoch:(Update 8/10/11)

Check out the old dustcaps he gave me in with the deal  ;D

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:52 PM by gt world »

oldboyburner

Re: My first BMX Replica build (79' Motomag)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:18 PM »
that looks sweet mate cannot wait till mine is near that stage

were would i get some of them mags from  8)

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:19 PM »
great looking bike so far, looking forward to the finished build  :daumenhoch:
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline GT world

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:38 PM »
that looks sweet mate cannot wait till mine is near that stage

were would i get some of them mags from  8)

Unsure mate but i want another pair ;) or even set of early lesters :daumenhoch:

Expect the build to be finished in the next few months kungfunky...i will keep the thread updated as i go along :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:40 PM by gt world »

Offline TORKER mick

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:47 PM »
sweet build mate i need one :smitten: :smitten:

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 08:49 PM »
Nice mate, love that yellow. :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Deano

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:28 PM »
This is going to be sweet as mate. Lovely bright yellow  :coolsmiley:
Those mags look nos  :shocked: have you restored them? I do love MM's and lesters too :daumenhoch:

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 10:31 PM »
Very tidy  :daumenhoch:

Love the look so far  :daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

griff

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 11:07 PM »
looks great so far  :daumenhoch:

Offline NORTY40

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 11:13 PM »
That's coming together really well  :daumenhoch:

Proper old school look to it , the fact it is a replica of your first bike makes it that bit cooler  8)

John (bobafett) on here will be able to tell you what front brake these came with  ;)

Looking forward to seeing it finished .
WANTED : Old school BMX patches/sew on badges ......  please  :)

oldskooldayz

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 11:22 PM »
That yellow is lush n looks well tidy so far  :daumenhoch:

Offline GT world

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 08:22 AM »
The hard work on the frame was done by SAM :daumenhoch: so cheers to him for that...I only needed to carefully touch up the dropouts and the odd nick to truly satisfy myself.
I then applied a light autogylm HD wax to the paint to give it that creamy shine.. ;)

As for the wheels those were very good anyway so a light fine wool and a polish :daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 12:10 PM »
 :4_17_5:

awesome!!!   love that bike....    :smitten:

but needs must and all that.... 
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

In2 bmx

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 12:17 PM »
That is looking so cool  :coolsmiley:  Can't wait to see it finished ..   I love that Yellow  :smitten:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 12:44 PM »
looking really good so far  :daumenhoch:
wrong forks for a 79 motomag though (if you want it to be correct) but it's your build so do it how you like it  :daumenhoch:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 01:07 PM »

Very nice so far  :smitten:

Offline GT world

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 08:57 PM »
looking really good so far  :daumenhoch:
wrong forks for a 79 motomag though (if you want it to be correct) but it's your build so do it how you like it  :daumenhoch:

Funny you should say that as i tried a set of my spare era correct NOS tange 1200's but for some reason thought it suited the set that came with the frame....To be honest my bike came Nickel 1200's as i remember or maybe dull chrome :LolLolLolLol:

I thought these looked a little bright

Anyway here's a poor image  ^"^  from a few weeks ago when i was toying with idea's...Go on say you like these better  >:(  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 07:47 AM »

Funny you should say that as i tried a set of my spare era correct NOS tange 1200's but for some reason thought it suited the set that came with the frame....To be honest my bike came Nickel 1200's as i remember or maybe dull chrome :LolLolLolLol:

Yep a 79 would have come with nickel tange forks  :daumenhoch:

Build is coming together nicely mate - geese with coaster brakes sold in the UK came with front caliper brakes for safety reasons as kids bikes had to have 2 working brakes I believe. The front brake will have been a Dia Compe 890/1020 with Dia Compe pre-bent lever - mongoose also used Shimano Tourney brakes at the time with shimano bent levers but it's unlikely it would have come with one of those as they were used on the Team and Supergoose models only.

As for converting your motomags to coasters I may be up for a swap for a set of native coaster ones  ;)

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 08:14 AM »
And Jonnygoose is back in the room - missed you bud, where've you been?

;-)

Oh, nice Goose btw! I only collect mk1's now and have recently sold a '79 Supergoose which took me ages to justify doing ;-(
Still limping......

Offline GT world

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 08:29 AM »

Yep a 79 would have come with nickel tange forks  :daumenhoch:

Build is coming together nicely mate - geese with coaster brakes sold in the UK came with front caliper brakes for safety reasons as kids bikes had to have 2 working brakes I believe. The front brake will have been a Dia Compe 890/1020 with Dia Compe pre-bent lever - mongoose also used Shimano Tourney brakes at the time with shimano bent levers but it's unlikely it would have come with one of those as they were used on the Team and Supergoose models only.

As for converting your motomags to coasters I may be up for a swap for a set of native coaster ones  ;)

Phew!!!!cheers for that info buddy....Now i know im not loosing my age related mind ;D

I thought it had a pre bent on mine...just unsure what it was so thanks for that :daumenhoch:

Im still trying to find a set of nickel tange's and if my luck don't change by the end of the year i will have a set plated.

I would have had a deal with the mags but have just sourced a second set a few days ago so i think im all good now :daumenhoch:

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 08:50 AM »

No probs mate  :daumenhoch:

Spen - I'm still here mate just mad busy in work at the moment and the multitude of goose builds that still await my attention are on the back burner for a bit  :(

:daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

RoyalTrux

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Looks ace!

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 10:56 AM »
Did a yellow mk2 Mongoose myself a good three years ago and the f&f looked awesome but it never looked right without Motomags tbh..... so stick with them, they look bloody awesome :coolsmiley:

(ignore the tyres, that's all I had at the time to get it rolling :-[ )

I'd have to check, but I struggled to get £350 delivered for this when I sold it I seem to recall - may have let it go for £325 all in..... :'( :'( Saying that I bought the f&f from the US when the dollar was fooked, so I probably paid less than a ton for it as it came, stickers, fresh paint and all so maybe ok...... :idiot2:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:07 AM by Spen69 »
Still limping......

Offline GT world

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 08:22 PM »
Did a yellow mk2 Mongoose myself a good three years ago and the f&f looked awesome but it never looked right without Motomags tbh..... so stick with them, they look bloody awesome :coolsmiley:

(ignore the tyres, that's all I had at the time to get it rolling :-[ )

I'd have to check, but I struggled to get £350 delivered for this when I sold it I seem to recall - may have let it go for £325 all in..... :'( :'( Saying that I bought the f&f from the US when the dollar was fooked, so I probably paid less than a ton for it as it came, stickers, fresh paint and all so maybe ok...... :idiot2:

Goose looked a treat mate...why the hell did you sell it?...

ive way more than that in mine and its nowhere near to my liking...bloody NOS suntour clamp was 50 Sobs ::)... still its all good fun   :LolLolLolLol:

e5dcb

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 09:39 PM »
Looking very fresh fella. Will follow the build  8)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  My first BMX Replica build (79' Motomag) Updated alittle ;)

gfxgfx
gfx gfx