gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 06:12 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  BLEACHING MAGS HELP!!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BLEACHING MAGS HELP!!!  (Read 1343 times)

deeman

BLEACHING MAGS HELP!!!
« on: October 03, 2011, 06:26 PM »
i have recently bought a set of nos acorn freestyle mags.They are brand new,but have faded over time to a creamy beige coulour with the tiniest hint of pink to it!So,i followed the instructions in the sticky to the letter and after 3 days in the bleach there is not that much change in colour,the surface of the wheels now feels a bit rough and the plastic feels a bit soft in places.What i wanted to know was does bleaching weaken the wheels'should i just stick em back in the bleach for a couple more days?will plastic polish bring up the rough surface after bleaching?any help or advice appreciated

sid1972

Re: BLEACHING MAGS HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 06:54 PM »
Bleach eats steel, so I would say after time it will have an impact on the plastic - but I am no expert..

not sure if a set of acorns have been done before either... depends how much you value the wheels, I would be tempted to stick them back in.

But they may have been like that from new - seconds etc, so it may never shift.

you could dye them, but again not sure if this has been done either.

:-\

deeman

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 08:18 PM »
the ammaco mags in the sticky are acorns so shouldnt be any worries there.im sure when i rinsed em and dried them earlier today that they felt a bit more flexible,like the plastic is softer.might just be me being paranoid!has anyone ever ridden on a set of bleached mags or are they only advised for show?anyway,i thought sod it if they are ruined,they are ruined and chucked em back in the bleach,at least id like to try and get them the right colour.Interesting point about them being seconds though i hadnt thought of that.maybe not enough white pigment went in to start with?any more comments?keep em coming!

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 08:38 PM »
Hey Deeman, did you buy the set from that bankrupt bike parts place? I was eyeing them up but waiting on some funds  :(

I bleached this set af acorn magnums
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/puch/40665

They were manky when i got em but they came up pretty clean, althought creamy white rather than daz white.
Once they had dried out totally and i had soaked em in DW40 they felt fine and pretty steady when riden. Apparently they always flexed a little, even when new.

I always use the cheap, 20p or so, tesco brand bleach. A good scrub with an old fashioned cream cleaner before and during bleaching always helps.  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

deeman

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 01:37 AM »
Hey Deeman, did you buy the set from that bankrupt bike parts place? I was eyeing them up but waiting on some funds  :(

I bleached this set af acorn magnums
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/puch/40665

They were manky when i got em but they came up pretty clean, althought creamy white rather than daz white.
Once they had dried out totally and i had soaked em in DW40 they felt fine and pretty steady when riden. Apparently they always flexed a little, even when new.

I always use the cheap, 20p or so, tesco brand bleach. A good scrub with an old fashioned cream cleaner before and during bleaching always helps.  :daumenhoch:
yup igot em from bankrupt,hes got another set in the same condition relisted at the moment.hell probably still have them they dont seem to go anywhere in a hurry,not too popular but i personally rate em better than skyways for a number of reasons! :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  BLEACHING MAGS HELP!!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx