gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975771 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 07, 2024, 09:17 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Stock or Not?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Stock or Not?  (Read 483 times)

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
Stock or Not?
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:20 PM »
I'm currently re-furbing an OS frame set and had ordered parts in the desired colours. I have collected almost all the components, mostly NOS from the four corners of the BMX world. Unfortunately I have just found the original stock list for the frame in question and some of the original stock parts are what I perceive as lesser quality components. :buck2:

Should I continue with the parts I have or should I endeavour to find the stock parts?

What would you do? ???
Who wants to ride with Eddie Fiola?

Offline Bob_Acid

• Team Admin
  • BMX Overlord
  • It's Bronked
  • Rated:
Re: Stock or Not?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 10:33 PM »
It depends on what you want.

If it's an iconic bike that came stock like an 280x or Silver Streak i'd try to stick to the manufacturers original specifications but lets face it in reality nothing stayed stock for long.

What are you building?

Offline rooski

• 540 Air
  • Mons Veneris
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:35 PM »
All depends if youre goin for a stock build dude :D

Sometimes lower end stuff is harder to find which increases the satisfaction you get when its done :daumenhoch:

it,s up to you :)

I,m trying to build my first bmx,it,s gonna be mostly stock,but some bits i cant find so it will have parts which i remember upgrading to bitd instead :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 10:37 PM »
If you were planning to build a stock bike I would try and stick to it.   :daumenhoch:
I tend to build my bikes with components that I would have used BITD

If it's an iconic bike that came stock like an 280x or Silver Streak i'd try to stick to the manufacturers original specifications but lets face it in reality nothing stayed stock for long.

What are you building?
x2

Offline Darren KAP

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 10:55 PM »

I'd do it Flo orange  :LolLolLolLol: :LolLolLolLol:  only joking , at the end of the day it's your bike so it's your rules , i've got stock  bikes , but to be honest i tend to favour the ones that i've chosen what spec they are built to , look forward to seeing it done .

Darren  :daumenhoch:
Life .......... Your here for a good time not a long time

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 04:02 PM »
If you were planning to build a stock bike I would try and stick to it.   :daumenhoch:
I tend to build my bikes with components that I would have used BITD

What are you building?
x2

CW

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 04:08 PM »
my cw is a kind of stock build,its an early one so the stock parts are pretty good,i guess if the parts you need for your stock build are cheapo then it must be a slightly later cw like a z750 or something??
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 04:13 PM »
my cw is a kind of stock build,its an early one so the stock parts are pretty good,i guess if the parts you need for your stock build are cheapo then it must be a slightly later cw like a z750 or something??

No, it's a Pro Motion Cruiser. I have NOS Tuf Neck parts ready for when the frame comes back; however, the stock list I have come across lists Tange headset, seat clamp and Shimano DX brakes as opposed to Dia Compe.

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 04:24 PM »

No, it's a Pro Motion Cruiser. I have NOS Tuf Neck parts ready for when the frame comes back; however, the stock list I have come across lists Tange headset, seat clamp and Shimano DX brakes as opposed to Dia Compe.
ive got  a shimano  brake on my cw with shimano lever cos thats what they came with and are a cheaper option too.a pro motion is a nice cw,id be tempted to go custom and give it the parts that it deserves
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Offline That Swan Guy

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 04:46 PM »

ive got  a shimano  brake on my cw with shimano lever cos thats what they came with and are a cheaper option too.a pro motion is a nice cw,id be tempted to go custom and give it the parts that it deserves

Even the Shimano brakes are getting expensive, Voldemort has a set going for 60 notes plus P&P :shocked: :shocked:
I think it's gonna be close enough that I'll be happy with it :daumenhoch:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 05:32 PM »
youre right the shimanos are shooting up in price,mine was nos and cost £30 for a rear in black,i really love them now and the dc 890's and 1020's
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Stock or Not?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx