gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:40 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Simple cheapish effective F&F spraying solution wanted...
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Simple cheapish effective F&F spraying solution wanted...  (Read 1621 times)

balladof32

Simple cheapish effective F&F spraying solution wanted...
« on: September 21, 2011, 10:12 PM »
Rattle cans are a bit shite , the large compressor kits are pretty pricey ...so is there an inbetween ? i only need to spray 5 or 6 F&F sets a year . Anyone have any experience of other methods or items readily available on the market which wont break the bank . Thanks in advance  :coolsmiley:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Simple cheapish effective F&F spraying solution wanted...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 08:13 AM »
nothing will beat a proffesional spray job for quality, but if you go to your local paint supplyers they can give you real nice aerosols with very good spray fan nozzels, and even 2 pack laquar in a tin which is what is needed to get that glass like finish...
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

Threaders

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:35 AM »
I dabbled with spraying four frames, The cheapest method I found was by using the hammerite spray, ( you can get it on the bay for 7 pounds a can) states that there is no need for primer or lacquer, but you need to use lots of coats and the colours are limited.
To be honest though, check your local powder coaters price range. The powders near me did frame forks bars and seat post for 40 pounds. You wont get cheaper than that for a spray job and rattle can jobs (even hammerite) are no where near as durable :daumenhoch:
Check my gt mach one resto in the resto thread for the finish using hammerite. I needed about 7 cans all in  :)

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:37 AM »
A company near me in Stafford used to powdercoat a frame and forks for £25 quid. (that was in 2007, maybe a little more now, but in that ballpark)

They did this goose for me:

Might be worth checking out the local places.
They only did the basic colours though - red, yellow, white black.  A special colour cost much more, but the standard colours, they could put my stuff through with a run of other parts.
That goose was JCB yellow.

Haha Threaders said the same as I was typing this!

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:57 AM »
If you're going to go the powder route, just use Dan (Mr SBD) - you won't find a better powdercoater  :daumenhoch:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline diesel

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 10:01 AM »
If you're going to go the powder route, just use Dan (Mr SBD) - you won't find a better powdercoater  :daumenhoch:

x2 the cost of postage back and forward is well worth that little extra if you really want a superb finish.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 11:23 AM »
damn straight!  by far the best there is!  :4_17_5:

B17SSY.T.A

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Ive had good results with something similar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airbrush-Air-Brush-Kit-Spray-Gun-w-Compressor-Adaptor-/180715185348?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item2a1376e4c4#ht_4607wt_1110
Gravity fed is better if you can find one that has the jar on top , this way you can 2 pack lacquer and get a " car " like finish mmmmmmm

8)

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 04:53 PM »
just make sure you pay him...

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 07:38 PM »
I thought 2 pack (2k) can only be used with the proper sealed breathing gear, or is the Isocyanate not present now?
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Coloured insulation tape and patience, from Lenny's school of modding

oldboyburner

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 08:07 PM »
I thought 2 pack (2k) can only be used with the proper sealed breathing gear, or is the Isocyanate not present now?

as he says  Isocyanate  is in all 2k products as i paint cars for aliving and it is vital you use a good respirator  :daumenhoch:

Offline meticulous

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 07:25 AM »
you can get isocyanate free laquar, but i've never used it, and if your only doing a frame now and again i dont think it will effect your health, just try not to breath it in....
R.I.P  O.M. Far short of the finish line...

deeman

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 01:53 AM »
you can get isocyanate free laquar, but i've never used it, and if your only doing a frame now and again i dont think it will effect your health, just try not to breath it in....
i refurbish alloy wheels,always used 2k,tried the isocyanate free a couple of years back,its like diet coke-a load of shite!

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 08:16 AM »
If you hunt through your Yellow pages and ring around you will find a cheap local powdercoaters but check their work first. Dan is definitely the best but by the time you've posted there and back it might be a bit steep for a budget build.

I've paid about £40 for f&f's done well but some will do basic colours for about £25 so hunt about.
Still limping......

paulski1966

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 08:43 PM »
The other alternative is a turbine driven HVLP, such as those made by earlex. No need for a compressor, water traps etc. and if you take your time you can get very good results. A decent system will set you back about £150. The one downside is that these guns are designed for spraying cars which means they shift a lot of paint. Not sure what nozzle availability is like (pretty sure the one I've used is 1.6mm which may still be a bit full on for a bmx), but if you could find a small nozzle to fit  it would be ideal.

What I sprayed with it

Done gazebo ghetto style  :crazy2:

Offline lammychop

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 11:40 AM »
loving that series 2  :smitten:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Simple cheapish effective F&F spraying solution wanted...

gfxgfx
gfx gfx