gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975757 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 27, 2024, 05:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  BMX Time BANDITS - North East Tour
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: BMX Time BANDITS - North East Tour  (Read 16247 times)

oldskoolcool

BMX Time BANDITS - North East Tour
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:51 PM »
Hi Guys,

After visiting the thread on this site, pinpointing the whereabouts of old BMX sites i decided to take a trip myself. A friend and i packed a camera and jumped into the van and headed over to a site not too far from me. It was brilliant to find some of it still existed and we had fun tracing what we thought, was the route taken.
Once i retuned home i though it would be great to ride the track on 80's BMX's. Just like it was built for all those years ago.
I revisited the thread and found several more sites i felt i could visit and decided to go.
Then, overnight, i had a brainwave. Why not visit all the sites in one day with a bike! Start at one site then ride to the next. I mentioned the idea to a few mates and after a little input. the 'BMX Time Bandits' were born  :2funny:

We decided which bikes out of our collections we were going to use, making only period mods before the journey. Donned some 80's style dress (my mates idea not mine!) and jumped on the train to Redcar to make a start. My friend Becca supported us along the way in her car, and took pics at every stop. We covered around 50 miles in the day and encounted all manor of weather along the way! It was a brilliant day and was enjoyed by all although 50 miles on plastic seats is not very forgiving!!1

The Start of our Long journey. Redcar Race Course.

Harelandshaw. Now occupied by Middlesbrough Community Football Thingy.

South Bank (Middlesbrough side of the A66) Now a Field.

South Bank (Rail side of A66) Now an MX Track

Teesside Airport. Not Accesable due to fences but appears that nothing remains of the Track

The Finish Line! Faverdale. A lot of this course still remains and can be ridden, allbeit single track and VERY over grown.

So there you have it. 50 Miles in total on BMX bikes of the era. We are looking to do a tour of more sites if possible. If any of you have an ideas of a route we can do then let us know. We will gladly travel to you and you come along for the crack if you like. As long as its Oldskool its cool! Around 50 - 60 miles is about right to avoid major saddle arse  :2funny:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:49 PM by oldskoolcool »

B17SSY.T.A

Re: BMX Time BANDITS - North East Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:00 PM »
Well done , what a great idea and fun day out !!
When the TA is built im so on the case to find an 80's style track I can ride it on , after buying a NS cruiser with ideas to race it , the changed tracks and bike geo just doesnt cut it , LONG LIVE OS !!

hats off !  :coolsmiley:

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:17 PM »

Great idea, looked a fun day out.  :daumenhoch:

Love the T-shirts  8)

Offline Andy68

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 11:45 AM »
 :daumenhoch:

RoyalTrux

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 08:04 PM »
Awesome!

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 08:11 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:, nice one dudes  :daumenhoch: ya missed the old h/pool phil flyers track, its the carpark next to the train station now  ::), was good to see you dudes flying round h/pool track a couple of weeks ago too

daz  :daumenhoch:

oldskoolcool

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Cheers for the positive feedback guys. We are already talking of doing it again shortly.

Hi Daz. Wasnt aware of an old track in H/Pool. We are thinking of doing one further up north next so that could maybe be the starting point?
Had really good fun at summerhill.  :smitten: Even started to get a little confidence back towards the end. Only a little though!
Hope to see you all there again real soon  ;)

oldskoolcool

Offline GT world

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Hey my neck of the woods...looked like a good crack :daumenhoch:

You missed great ayton too..... Still used  as far as i read

I would be tempted for a play myself next time if im allowed to play out with you ;D
   Neil

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 02:00 PM »
Cheers for the positive feedback guys. We are already talking of doing it again shortly.

Hi Daz. Wasnt aware of an old track in H/Pool. We are thinking of doing one further up north next so that could maybe be the starting point?
Had really good fun at summerhill.  :smitten: Even started to get a little confidence back towards the end. Only a little though!
Hope to see you all there again real soon  ;)

oldskoolcool

which one are you? one of you/maybe you is at h/pool college n i've "aye up dude"ed them/you a few times  :daumenhoch:

c-ya's soon.

neil, summerhill is occupied by rad lads deffo friday evenings n sunday evenings n hit or miss during the week, check "events" section as we usually post when peeps are going up  :daumenhoch:

oldskoolcool

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 04:33 PM »

I would be tempted for a play myself next time if im allowed to play out with you ;D
   Neil

Hey Neil. Wasnt aware of a track in Great Ayton. To be fair i tried to do a route that was more or less straight so prob didnt even look at the map in that area. If it was a professionally used oldskool track then we'll def include it in the next one (which will prob be sooner rather than later). Where about is/was it? By all means come along the next time mate. PM me to let me know where you're at and ill keep in touch as i organise it.

which one are you? one of you/maybe you is at h/pool college n i've "aye up dude"ed them/you a few times  :daumenhoch:

c-ya's soon.

I was at summerhill on a black Mk2 Burner with Red pads. Dont live in Hartlepool but Nick and Andy do although im not sure if either of them go to college. On second thoughts its probably Nick hangining around looking at all the girls  ;D

oldskoolcool  8)

Offline GT world

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 05:06 PM »
To be honest i think it was more of a jump track but I could be wrong as it was years back. :LolLolLolLol:

Did you visit margrove park guisy?

I would read the thread again but I'm at a BBQ and this  phone is tiny  :D
Neil
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 09:05 PM by gt world »

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 06:31 PM »

Neil

Hey Neil. Wasnt aware of a track in Great Ayton. To be fair i tried to do a route that was more or less straight so prob didnt even look at the map in that area. If it was a professionally used oldskool track then we'll def include it in the next one (which will prob be sooner rather than later). Where about is/was it? By all means come along the next time mate. PM me to let me know where you're at and ill keep in touch as i organise it.

c-ya's soon.

I was at summerhill on a black Mk2 Burner with Red pads. Dont live in Hartlepool but Nick and Andy do although im not sure if either of them go to college. On second thoughts its probably Nick hangining around looking at all the girls  ;D

oldskoolcool  8)

twoz the youg dude with the little goaty

oldskoolcool

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 03:23 PM »
Young dude with the goatee = Nick.

Neil, ive pm'ed you mate ;)

oldskoolcool

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 11:05 PM »
Top pics mate, good to see you lot having a spin at Summerhill the other week :daumenhoch:

Bren
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

oldskoolcool

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 08:28 AM »
Top pics mate, good to see you lot having a spin at Summerhill the other week :daumenhoch:

Bren

Cheers Bren,
Weather and a few other things have stopped us getting down over the last few Sundays but we hope do be there again real soon. Need to make the most of it really while its still dry-ish  ;)

mike

oldskoolcool

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 12:34 PM »
Hi All  ;)

Well the time has come for the BMX Time Bandits to dust off those old BMX's again and do a tour of the old North East BMX sites.

Plans have just started so i am open to suggestions but a similar route to last year with the addition of Saltburn track and maybe guisborough? (neil) is planned.

Dates are not agreed yet either but Saturdays are good for most as a rule.

I know a few people got in touch with me saying they would have loved to have come along so i thought id post on here to invite all along.

The only rule is your bike has to be oldskool with period mods only.

I have spoken to a local film maker who approached me after hearing of last years trip, and he is very interested in making a film of the trip.

He was particuarly interested in getting some stories from lads that rode the tracks back in the day.

He has a good history with his films, winning an award only last year.

If anyone has any suggestions regarding charity/sponsor ship for the trip then pm me please.

The same goes for if you wish to join in.

Ill update progress on this thread and via pm to those who get in touch.

Last year was amazing fun. We all still laugh about it now. Lets make this year bigger and better!

oldskoolcool  :D

oldskoolcool

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 03:42 PM »
Hi Guys,

The date has now been set as Saturday September 30th.

We'll start bright and early to enable us to catch the trains to Saltburn.

The film maker has confirmed attendance also.

Please PM me for further details or if you wish to come along, even for part of the route.

oldskoolcool  :)

oldskoolcool

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 09:19 PM »
Well the tour went better than ever this year. More sites, more people, a local film maker attended and coverage in the Gazette!

The film is due to be edited and completed by mid december so watch this space!

oldskoolcool  :)

Offline boofy44

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 11:33 AM »
i saw a few of you pedaling past argos in redcar.

scott250

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 11:04 AM »
If you want to hit a couple of old freestyle spots - hurworth has an oldschool skatepark - been about since early 80s.  Also York does too, under a bridge - never been myself, but its said to be good fun.  Darlo has the uks largest 1/2 pipe up the a66 out of Darlo - you'll need roap/ladder to drop into it though, haha.  Northallerton bmx track is no more - its a school field now.  Ayton is still going(ish) most of those are big doubles(not ones you can roll over on os bikes, ha) worth a ride up to though- few little bumps n jumps at the bottom, be good for os bikes.

Offline Retrodan72

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 11:05 AM »
 :daumenhoch:

GO FORWARD TO THE PAST, WITH NRP'S

Offline BMX1973

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 02:10 PM »
Looks a great trip.

If you do one on the South East Coast would be interested.

oldskoolcool

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 11:29 AM »
Thanks Guys,

We are already in talks about a follow up trip next year, heading out to another area was one of the ideas that was mentioned. Maybe a trip on the train?

scott250. That sounds like a great idea also. We may be able to do a Freestyle tour and a Race tour next year?

The trailer of the film was released yesterday and I must say, hats off to Jay who has done an amazing job. I really cannot wait to see the finished film.

For those of you who haven’t yet had the pleasure it can be found here:
/>
You can also follow the film on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/thesunthatneverset?notif_t=fbpage_fan_invite

oldskoolcool

Offline neil

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 12:39 PM »
There used to be a track in northallerton too quality that remember all the old tracks :'(

scott250

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 12:50 PM »
There used to be a track in northallerton too quality that remember all the old tracks :'(

Its long gone, in fact the day I set off to sort it all out with a spade, was the day it got flatened  :-[  in early 93/94 - its now a school playing field.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  BMX Time BANDITS - North East Tour

gfxgfx
gfx gfx