gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 30, 2024, 11:37 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  I guess Bmx can be your life.....Colin Winklemann
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: I guess Bmx can be your life.....Colin Winklemann  (Read 486 times)

Nana

I guess Bmx can be your life.....Colin Winklemann
« on: September 17, 2011, 03:23 PM »
Sorry thought this was worth a mention seen a Mike" Rooftop" Escamilas tribute to this guy on one of my dvd last night and seen him riding some scary stuff including the 116ft jump across the explorers so thought i would mention him as nothing on rad about him..........checked out Wikipedia and this was in there.......shame.........great rider

Colin Winklemann (February 26, 1976 – August 11, 2005) was a professional freestyle BMX rider and is the current (2000) World record holder for 'Longest BMX Jump'. He rode for DK Bicycles [1], taking 2nd place in the 2002 Toronto LaRevolution Street contest.

He started riding as a young child in Okinawa, Japan where his father was stationed at a military base. It was in Japan where he first saw magazines and videos about BMX and freestyle and started trying to do some tricks. He was a fearless rider, attempting stunts such as jumping 116 feet over 13 Ford Explorer sport utility vehicles, for which he earned an entry into the Guinness Book of Records.

In July 2004, Colin attempted a stunt that involved a ramp mounted on the hood of a van that was driving toward him as he rode toward it. He failed in the attempt, suffering severe injuries, including breaking both ankles, fracturing a vertebra, and breaking several bones in his wrist. He also dislocated his ankle and right foot.

Immediately following the crash, Colin was rushed by ambulance to the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore where he began a long rehabilitation. Following extensive surgery on his shattered ankles Colin was put in a stable situation, although it was unclear whether he would be able to ride again. Six months on from the crash, he was able to walk unassisted, although notably with a limp. However despite this progress, Colin found his injuries and his inability to ride too distressing. On 9 August 2005, Colin committed suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning from the exhaust pipes of his motorbike in his garage at his home in Greenville, NC.[1]

/>
Records been beat now i know but still well cool 8) Think he may have had another go at this jump again if things had paned out diffrent for him...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:25 PM by The-flying-banana! »

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: I guess Bmx can be your life.....Colin Winklemann
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 03:28 PM »
a real shame that  :(

rip colin

Rodgy1970

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:04 PM »
really sad  :'(

RIP

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:14 PM »
A forkin great fella  :daumenhoch: He gave us the S.O.B. and some amazing riding in the short time he was with us - RIP fella  :4_17_5:
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Legend. And one of my all time bmx heroes. A Props regular and arguably the first person ever to pull a double backflip way back in about 95 or something. Sadly missed.

There's a good section about him in the Pro Town dvd.

RIP Colin.

gobshite

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:22 PM »
amazing rider, monster trucked everything,

a shame and a great loss to the bmx community.

r.i.p colin.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  I guess Bmx can be your life.....Colin Winklemann

gfxgfx
gfx gfx