gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 10:23 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Are bars bigger now than in 2005
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Are bars bigger now than in 2005  (Read 2887 times)

Nana

Are bars bigger now than in 2005
« on: September 17, 2011, 11:05 AM »
sorry just got back into riding having a few years break from it but i have noticed bars seem to be as big as bitd now with them being around 28"-30" wide now

Whats happened then ? did they figure out they had more control?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Are bars bigger now than in 2005
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 09:15 AM »
Sadly, that's not the reason.

Basically, it's part fashion and part trick helper.

It's easier to do whips with your seat right down and a massive set of bars.

But yeah, bars these days are all 8" and above (right up to 10" I believe), and a good 28" wide, often wider.

Always makes me chuckle when I see a kid holding his massive bars halfway along the grip because they're too big for him.  I always try and say summat stupid like "look at all that weight you could save if you cut them down..."

Nana

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 10:24 AM »
Sadly, that's not the reason.

Basically, it's part fashion and part trick helper.

It's easier to do whips with your seat right down and a massive set of bars.

But yeah, bars these days are all 8" and above (right up to 10" I believe), and a good 28" wide, often wider.

Always makes me chuckle when I see a kid holding his massive bars halfway along the grip because they're too big for him.  I always try and say summat stupid like "look at all that weight you could save if you cut them down..."

Hey Rob i cant keep up with these mad fashions so im just gonna ride my bike  ;D

Ps rob im planning a big ramp in my garden for next spring i fancy a large mini but i wanna make it so i can attach some sections on top to turn it into a full half pipe do you think its possible ? lol

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Yes mate, it's completely possible.

Best approach it with your eyes wide open though bud, that will cost you an absolute fortune. Assuming you want it to hold together for a reasonable length of time....

Do you have plenty of land?  You must think about who's bedroom windows you'll be looking through when you're sat up on top of your 10ft or higher halfpipe.

If I were you, I'd build a sensible mini ramp that's super wide. You'll have much more fun and you can add sub boxes, hitching posts etc. If you have the space, it could have a tombstone too which could be nice and high for airs, but not vert.

Loads of possibilities mate if you have the space.

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 11:52 AM »
 :) I`ve always ran big bars,just seem more comfortable.Currently using Shadow Vultus 27 x9 but they do a 9.5 x30 version.Off topic a bit,but I spoke to a kid yesterday,3ft tall riding a 21.5tt frame.Daft sod told me that When questioned that XL on a frame means extra light :daumenhoch:

Nana

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 02:17 PM »
Yes mate, it's completely possible.

Best approach it with your eyes wide open though bud, that will cost you an absolute fortune. Assuming you want it to hold together for a reasonable length of time....

Do you have plenty of land?  You must think about who's bedroom windows you'll be looking through when you're sat up on top of your 10ft or higher halfpipe.

If I were you, I'd build a sensible mini ramp that's super wide. You'll have much more fun and you can add sub boxes, hitching posts etc. If you have the space, it could have a tombstone too which could be nice and high for airs, but not vert.

Loads of possibilities mate if you have the space.

Yes Rob i have about an acre all in ........i can get say the red bull ramp in were i have space.........i was thinking around 20ft wide and 5-6ft high mini with big table tops on like 8ft back lol, I was considering making the frame out of steel sections (maybe just the base) as when buying steel for fence posts 5" boxed i was suprised it was cheaper than wood  :-\ that was about 6 years back though

i just want something very versatile and am prepared to put the work in ..........just want the mini first though as wanna ride like you do on it  8) loads of trick stuff with me brakes  ;)

:) I`ve always ran big bars,just seem more comfortable.Currently using Shadow Vultus 27 x9 but they do a 9.5 x30 version.Off topic a bit,but I spoke to a kid yesterday,3ft tall riding a 21.5tt frame.Daft sod told me that When questioned that XL on a frame means extra light :daumenhoch:

Lol kid the other day asked for a go on my 21" to go over the spine and he looked tiny on it...........i like big bars too but was amazed at the amount of kids with the bigger bars now compared to in 2005

griff

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 02:22 PM »
TFB - that sounds like a great plan - when's the BBQ?  ;D

Nana

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 02:24 PM »
TFB - that sounds like a great plan - when's the BBQ?  ;D

I need to make the thing first mate  ;D but your more than welcome i'll throw some haggis on the barbie for yeah  :daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 02:24 PM »
My bars are cut narrow.  I found that I could get a better pull, if the bar width was close to my shoulder width.

90's Powerlite bars too!

In the 90's we would cut the bars so narrow that grips would go round the bend, and you would have to modify the levers so they worked.

I think the trick is though, is to find bars that you feel comfortable with, and go with them, regardless of the current trends (although wide bars have been a trend for many years now)

Offline Dark Diggler

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 03:27 PM »
You could argue that narrow bars were a trend, bmx bars have always been 28x8 ish, people just cut em down, this resulted in companies making them smaller for a while, a trend.

on my favoured 20" are 9x30 and they are just right for me cos I am tall and ride tracks mostly and I don't do tricks, if I go to a park I am on me ol Holmes, it has uncut slams.

Ruler said it, ride what suits you and what you ride.

I too think that its daft having big wide bars and holding them 3" in on each side  :idiot2:
Whats the matter Kid, don't ya like clowns? Don't we make you laugh? Aint we fukkin funny?

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 08:18 PM »
Yes Rob i have about an acre all in ........i can get say the red bull ramp in were i have space.........i was thinking around 20ft wide and 5-6ft high mini with big table tops on like 8ft back lol, I was considering making the frame out of steel sections (maybe just the base) as when buying steel for fence posts 5" boxed i was suprised it was cheaper than wood  :-\ that was about 6 years back though

i just want something very versatile and am prepared to put the work in ..........just want the mini first though as wanna ride like you do on it  8) loads of trick stuff with me brakes  ;)

All good mate. 5ft high is nice. Make it 30ft wide and you can have a 6ft tombstone for airs. We could then build off the back, put a pump bump in to a jumpbox or a vert wall or summat.

Steel frame is a good idea, but lots of work in the prep of course.

Start saving up!!

Nana

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 08:30 PM »
All good mate. 5ft high is nice. Make it 30ft wide and you can have a 6ft tombstone for airs. We could then build off the back, put a pump bump in to a jumpbox or a vert wall or summat.

Steel frame is a good idea, but lots of work in the prep of course.

Start saving up!!

Yeah mate i will .............and will be asking for your help with info if thats ok  :daumenhoch: think 30 wide may touch the house i will need to measure  :LolLolLolLol:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree with all the bar comments too........i like the s&m slam myself uncut of course

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 08:40 PM »
I've always run wide bars, I lost count of how many times in the 90's, little trendy kids would come up and tell me to cut my bars down, their logic was 'it makes barspins and x-ups easier' when i said go do one then, most couldnt, but i could do x-ups. When big bars became fashionable, i got quizzed why i have 2 brakes and a high seatpost, the other day i got told by an 11yr old to take my brakes off. i answered that i would be unable to do most of my tricks if i did, why would i limit myself?  I ride what suits me not whats trendy.

griff

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 09:38 PM »

scott250

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 11:40 PM »
I think some bars are taller due to some frames having a lower front end too - s&m have some kit with this don't they?  I think the big bars return could have also partly been from trails riders who run longer frames with big bars - you get more control.  I ride uncut slams - and I move my hands in and out depending what I'm ridng or doing - xups and tables I'll hold em wide, so i dont get snagged on my t.  Running your seat low make barspins harder I think, not sure about tailwhips - never really tried em.

gobshite

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 08:22 PM »
yes.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  Are bars bigger now than in 2005

gfxgfx
gfx gfx