gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 24, 2024, 09:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  street bmx
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: street bmx  (Read 3082 times)

j...

Re: street bmx
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 06:26 PM »
yer thats a totally amazing dvd.
i love the intro done with the crates.

RADHAB

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 07:59 PM »
Good vids j...

Still disagree with the flatland thing but thats my opinion!!!!

I would say though that there are some flatland moves used in Street but i wont agree that street came from Flatland..As i said earlier, i rode street in its early years and like DMC and Wilkerson i used to go out on the weekends (Fri, Sat nights) and ride till it got light, making up new tricks and finding different stuff to ride on or off! Now, Tricks i used to do were, grind absolutely any and everything! Chainring fakies on anything that didnt move and sometimes stuff that did...and as you said wall rides on just about any wall in the town. There are a couple of members on here that will vouch for my nocturnal activities as they on occasion rode with me. I dont remember ever incorporating any kind of flatland tricks in what i used to do. And before anyone says it, 360's were being done as jumps long before they were done on the ground and 180's are the building block of freestyle as a whole so dont go down that road.

So i'll agree to disagree to its origins and tell you what i know because i like some others was there.

Cheers

P.s. Southbank was Rad i'd love to street ther again sometime.

bmx1984

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 10:39 PM »
Your wrong and you know it. Your just playing with my feelings to provoke an emotional response :'( Well it just wont work as I like many others can see straight through you for the transparent tired old man that you are. You have been up to late to long so go and get some sleep so that you can start to think before you type.  :LolLolLolLol: Only kidding RH before your head implodes  ;D

On a more seriouse note I think its a more individual thing and some people were more influenced by certain types and styles of riding than others and thats why we all ride different and what makes it such a great sport. I for one love it that we all have our own bag of tricks and this derives from each persons influences from whatever floated their boat when they got into this sport and it will be different for everybody or we would all ride the same.

some of the stuff you see today is a mish mash of styles like mcoy but he puts it together in his own unique way and its awesome but he has bits of allsorts going on as do we all on a smaller scale.

jeff spicoli

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 10:43 PM »
Yeah

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 10:52 PM »
didnt our own mr smokey get a asbo from dartford council for killing there benches lol

RADHAB

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2006, 12:29 AM »
Yeah

Mr Spee Co Lie you do make i laugh!!!!  :LolLolLolLol: Cheers Andy!

j...

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2006, 12:58 AM »
smokey has an ASBO, haha wow. he hasnt told me about that one. ;D

bmx1984

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2006, 08:57 AM »
Hey RH whats with the avatar? Do you think anything will happen on Tuesday? 6.6.06 The number of the beast. ??? Its not you is it?  :LolLolLolLol:

RADHAB

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2006, 09:43 AM »
Hey RH whats with the avatar? Do you think anything will happen on Tuesday? 6.6.06 The number of the beast. ??? Its not you is it?  :LolLolLolLol:

My mum took that photo when i was 5....... :LolLolLolLol:

rom_kid_04

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2006, 10:29 AM »
street has its origins in dirt as does flatland and every other aspect of bmx, but street isnt flatland with obstickles its the same as park/dirt riding and some flatland but on different terrain its a combination of everything.... wheelies i am sure have been around before bmx existed it all evolved fom kids having fun and thats what its about today people having fun riding their bikes ... does it really matter how types of riding evolved all that matters is that we enjoy doing theese types of riding

jeff spicoli

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2006, 12:12 PM »
yeah

theRuler

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2006, 01:32 PM »
street derived from flatland tricks with obstacles

bear in mind these 2 things:

street riding come about before "street" was jumpboxes and hips etc
flatland at the time of street's conception was more along the lines of one off tricks, ie, hop onto a bench and land in an endo. the bunnyhop was a "flatland" trick. a bunnyhop used to be a compulsary back when comps had compulsary sections. and a 360, etc.

the 2 disciplines are forever linked, although worlds apart now.

its not even ten years ago, that the number 1 riders competed in both ramps and flat (chasing the "overall" title)

dmc was winning flat before winning ramp comps.
i think he is the only bmx rider in history with 10 consecutive overall world titles!

in an endo comp though, he would come second to me. yeh

Offline tricknuts

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2006, 09:44 AM »
IMO Dennis McCoy  was the best there is/was. Nobody has touched his consistency., and he's STILL completing on the circuit.  Remember that Sunday at Holeshot in ~86/87 when he showed us his groundwork??
"I've never stopped riding badly....and I never will"

theRuler

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2006, 11:12 AM »
IMO Dennis McCoy  was the best there is/was. Nobody has touched his consistency., and he's STILL completing on the circuit.  Remember that Sunday at Holeshot in ~86/87 when he showed us his groundwork??

i read about it in a magazine at the time

dmc rules

fatlander

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2006, 07:48 PM »
 :) hey bmx1984, re: yer comment about the beast. the only beast that i'm aware of (and admire),  is the canadian one. :coolsmiley:

selfpreservation

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2006, 08:49 PM »
the street was all we had to ride , there was no tracks or ramps except for what you built yourself there was no choice there were no grinds (there werent even any pegs for years) flatland street ramp it was all one they all come from the common ancestor "kids in dodgy chords on bikes" trying to have a laugh and not fall off

theRuler

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2006, 08:53 PM »
lol dodgy cords

i had some. tight and short

jeff spicoli

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2006, 09:52 PM »
:) hey bmx1984, re: yer comment about the beast. the only beast that i'm aware of (and admire),  is the canadian one. :coolsmiley:

Jay miron is the real beast

andy619

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2006, 10:12 PM »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  street bmx

gfxgfx
gfx gfx