gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 23, 2024, 02:32 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Curtis Freestyler
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Curtis Freestyler  (Read 5840 times)

RichG41

Curtis Freestyler
« on: September 14, 2011, 11:22 PM »
Hi

Just thought I'd post this, a chance meeting with Bert4142 last November when he was out and about on his Ammaco Freestlye Ace made me enquire about seeing if I could find my old Curtis Freestlyer that I sold in 1985. To cut a long story short I managed to trace the person I'd sold it to and the very same afternoon had my old bike back. It had stood unused in his parents garage the whole time and to be honest wasn't in great condition. The chrome had pitted quite badly. I did enquire about a re-chrome but for the time being have decided to leave it, I did however spend many evenings with coca cola / tin foil / peek etc etc to try and improve it. The bars / seat post came up really well but the frame is too far gone but to be honest I kind of like it as it is.

The bike was originally bought in 1984 from Faze 7, I had snapped the frame on my previous BMX whilst trying to jump a few kids brave / stupid enough to lay down, it was a Team Murray which I'd bought off a friend of a friend whos dad owned the local bike shop and who I by chance bumped into a few months back as he has since taken over running the shop. I was doing pretty good tricks (by 1984 standards) so my Dad said I could order a new bike. I'd read the report on the Curtis and was lucky enough to "put it together" over the phone, choosing the parts I wanted. The only thing I did choose which I regretted as I never got on with it was the coaster brake, even now I'd like to swap it for a non coaster (so if anyone out there has one they'd like to sell please let me know!).

The only parts I've had to source were a replacement black MX1000 front brake, it did have one on originally but it must have been broken / stolen as I got it back with a silver Chang Star copy. I also had to change to a set of Black ODI mushroom grips, the SM ODI ones were too far gone to keep (so again if anyone has a black set of SM ODI's please let me know). I'm just waiting on a set of white ACS Z pads to arrive as it's currently got modern white tuff pads on.

Whilst deciding on whether I should go down the route of a full restoration including a re-chrome I decided to buy a Ammaco Freestyle King which I stripped and replaced all parts to what would have been on the Pro plus a set of alloy hubbed skyways. In addition both my son and daughter now have 1985 Rayleigh Burners. A pink one (thanks to Firebird) and a chrome tatty one off the bay which I've since restored(ish).

I'd just like to say a big thanks to everyone on here who has helped with advice / parts etc over the past 11 months and to Stuart (Bert4142) for getting my interest back in this great hobby. I'm looking forward to attending some of the ride outs.

I'll bore you no more and just show some photos ...... I can only apologise for the bad haircut (can I get away with it seeing it was the 80's .... possibly not!)

... Yes I know the seat is a bit high and the bars too far forward but I'm 6.2 and I need a little bit more room than I did originally!

Rich

The day I got it back .....

[

Getting a bit of a clean up

How it is now ......

A few weeks after it was bought .....

The Ammaco and Mini Burners

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:05 PM by RichG41 »

Offline rollin72

• 900 Air
  • I was a ninja
  • Rated:
Re: Curtis Freestyler
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 12:14 AM »
proper nice, bet your glad to get your old bike back...but put the seat guts on the right way round :D

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:09 AM »
Great Pics you must be delighted to get your old bike back  :Great_Britain:

Offline crazycraig

• BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 04:23 AM »
Nice one ........ Cool shoes  :LolLolLolLol:
Old School BMX only
Cash is King
Your not famous because you have a BMX so dont expect me to lick your arse for bits !!! I will leave that to the sheep
Jim'll fix it did loads for charity

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 05:40 AM »
That looks sweet mate, great to have your old bike back I bet!  Quite an interest in this thread as my bike bitd (after the first obligatory POS) was an Ammaco Pro, which I then swapped a few years later for....a Curtis freestyler.  Currently rebuilding my Ammaco as she was when I got her but with a colour twist.

Great job  :daumenhoch:
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:11 AM »

Good to have your old bike back  :daumenhoch: , stick an XL stem on it & bring those bars back !  ;)

Offline kungfunky

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:30 AM »
very nice looking bike, and good to see you wearing propper BMXing clothes  ;D  :daumenhoch:
WANTED....FRED BLOOD QUADANGLE FRAME..

Offline GT world

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 09:41 AM »
Amazing to find your old bike...would love to have a few of mine but wouldnt no where to start...maybe the tip  :LolLolLolLol:

And yes those shoes are awesome...i bet those were PVC with a rockhard sole  ;D

RichG41

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Hi

Thank-you for the kind comments.

I'll sort out the seat this weekend (and maybe pull the bars back a bit!) I did think the seat looked odd as I was taking the photos!  :idiot2:

Thanks again for the help ..... now to decide whether to do another one ..... it does get addictive.

Rich  :)

retrogeezer

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 11:17 AM »
super cool to have your original bike from bitd, I had a Curtis Pro and although I have another it is not 'my' bike.

And that looks great just restored, no need to re-chrome it as it tells a story the way it is.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Robbo

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Great story Rich and cool bike, good to see another Rayleigh bmxer here  :daumenhoch:

bert4142

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 11:53 AM »
Hi rich,

The bike looks superb mate, we will have to get out for a ride soon  :daumenhoch:

Glad to have been around, the first day up came around with it in the boot i was jealous, now it looks great, well done mate.

Now i gotta have one, wont tell sharon tho!  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Good job on the resto, but PLEASE get those bars back a touch :daumenhoch:

Great for you to get your old bike back too, makes it all the more special  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 12:19 PM »
You have done a nice job of that mate. Always good to see someone restore one of their old rides after finding it again. If only I could find some of my old gear!  Probably all been scrapped  :LolLolLolLol:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:18 PM by discostu »

Offline Gatters

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 05:26 PM »
Really nice build that and the fact that it's your own makes it even better, bet your not gonna let it go again eh!!

Love the ammaco I'm doing a pro as well at the mo, great little bike.  :daumenhoch:

Build another, it's bloody addictive..... :coolsmiley:

deeman

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2011, 12:59 AM »
lovely bike man,you mustve been stoked to find your old bike!i wish i could find mine!i was lucky enough to find a nos frame and forks recently,but there is nothing quite like having the actual same one you had bitd.if i managed to find my old bike id still buy it!its probably holding up the olympic stadium in china by now!(i also had a curtis built freestyler)

Offline bobafett

• Team Mechanic
  • Tail Whip
  • mongoose addict
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2011, 12:54 PM »

Amazing that you got your old bike back  :shocked:

Nicely done  :daumenhoch:

mongoositis - an expensive disease......

skwaym4n

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 07:59 AM »
What a great story.... I wish I could trace my old Curtis Pro but it was stolen from the bike sheds when I was 15...I have never gotten over it  :'( It had Kuwi laser bars and red Z rims.... Loving the Burners too :daumenhoch:

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 03:21 PM »
Is the Ammaco for sale I'm looking for one.

Regards Ian :)

RichG41

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 06:38 PM »
Hi Ian

I wasn't planning on selling the Ammaco but if I change my mind I'll let you know

Thanks  :daumenhoch:

Rich

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Curtis Freestyler

gfxgfx
gfx gfx