gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 28, 2024, 02:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  My Gyro setup
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: My Gyro setup  (Read 7740 times)

SaMAlex

My Gyro setup
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:14 PM »

Ive been working on this for a while but Ive finally got a gyro on my bike. Thought Id post up a few pics of it, and say a few words about how its set up.

Ive not used a gyro for a while but I think it looks way better (neater) than a flappy straight cable. I also think it works better cos there is less cable stretch. I might even say that the reason I put one on, cos I don’t really spin the bars very often!

I don’t like the the 2to1 cable thing. It doesn’t sit nice, its ugly, and has more friction (and it bottoms out if its not set right). Twin cables from the lever is a bit bulky but the oddy twin lever is OK. It doesn’t have any of the cable ferrel hanging out and its also my lever of choice. I cut the barrels off the end and gave the cable loads of lube. It runs really nice.

Bolt on gyro tabs (with the adjuster cut down) and Redneck specific top plate. The gyro has pinch bolts built in, but I “tinned” the inner cable so it didn’t fray when you clamp it down

I wanted to run twin cables on the lower end. The 2to1 isnt nice, it doesn’t sit well against the frame, and it always seems silly to have a cable that goes from 2, to one, and then back to 2. I made a cable stop using bolt on gyro tabs and adjusters but I didn’t like it. It was bulky and the cables stuck out too much. I didn’t even use the adjusters

So I made a simpler one. Much cleaner, cables run nicer, and its also angled so the inner meets with the brake at a better angle.

I don’t really like the angled fly brake arms but its not to bad, the cable alighnment is pretty good, and the fly brakes work (and look) so good.

theRuler

Re: My Gyro setup
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:19 PM »
Nice job mate.

A well set up gyro will always work better than a single cable!

My upper cable weapon of choice is the dragonfly cable, with a Gyro GTX. (fruity name, but good Gyro)

I might copy your idea for the cable stop . . . !

Offline fugazi

• Site Supporter
  • 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:27 PM »
Really nice Alex, looks super dialed  :daumenhoch: I made a couple of cable stops similar to Your MK2 version some years ago & they worked great, I'll stick up a pic if I've still got One around, if not can You make Me One for the top of the seattube for a V2 Blackbike?  :LolLolLolLol: 
Do you grovel to your master? Do you beg like a dog?

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 02:37 PM »
nice little mod there :daumenhoch:

i never used to run a gyro but decided to try em again awhile ago, i run a oddy twin cable lever, redneck top plate, snafu gyro and twin lower cables, oiled em before fitting and not had to touch em since (8 months now) best brake set up ive ever had :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

gobshite

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 03:34 PM »
nice mod that alex,
is that a grub screw over the seat tube brake hole? does that hold the plate in place or is it just held with tension?

now, can you knock me up something similar to attach to and open our lasses legs?

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 02:37 AM »
nicely done  :daumenhoch:   

like the chain guard on the brake  :daumenhoch: , what gearing do you use?   is the brake low profile?  been trying to figure out how to get a small gear set up on one of mine with a  990 on , but can't get clearence over the brake with  25/9

SaMAlex

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:56 AM »
like the chain guard on the brake  :daumenhoch: , what gearing do you use?   is the brake low profile?

I run 28:10 gearing, but I think it could go down to 25:9 and still clear the brake. The brake is a fly brake, which were the first "low profile" brakes. I think most new brakes are all nice and low now.

The frame has the chain stays quite low on the BB to give a bit more room down there. You can see in the last photo that they are below the center of the BB, but i think normal ATF chainstays meet the BB in the middle.

Thanks, a bit of off cut Primo Vmonster to stop the chain making noise against the brake. It works wonders.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 08:59 AM »
liking your mods Alex  :daumenhoch:

i've been running a velcro strip around my brake nut as a chain guard and works a treat as well  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 09:00 AM »
is that a grub screw over the seat tube brake hole? does that hold the plate in place or is it just held with tension?

I put a tapped hole in the cable stop and bolted it to the seat tube from the inside. There is a big hole on the back of the seat tube (so the head of the bolt goes tho) and a small hole on the front. perfect.

On the Mk1 Design i tapped a blind hole, so no fixing would be seen at all but there were only about 2 threads and it came loose. On the Mk2 i tapped it right tho. I can live with the end of the bolt showing if it'll stay tight now.

SaMAlex

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 09:02 AM »
liking your mods Alex  :daumenhoch:

You should have seen my bike before BMX stuff was well made. There wasnt one thing on my bike that i hadnt done something to it. Its so much easier now that stuff works!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 09:33 AM »
a true innovator  :daumenhoch:

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 10:42 AM »
Looking sweet as Alex :daumenhoch:

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 12:22 PM »
So as and when you do want to adjust your brake Al, you can do a bit at the lever but any more and you'll have to pull the cables through the Fly?

Offline Biggeorge

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 08:31 PM »
really nice job there fella, whats the mod made out of?
Heres something similar i did back in the 90s, not as tidy but worked really well.

I was really impressed with Rob pickles brake mod, couldnt buy one so i made one.

theRuler

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 10:27 AM »
Top tip on the tinning of the cable ends.  I fitted a new upper cable to my gyro at the weekend, and did that.

Well worth doing too, as it was the fraying of the ends that did for the old cable.

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 10:30 AM »
stupid question, but what is 'tinning' the cables?

nice brake mod George  :daumenhoch:

theRuler

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 10:32 AM »
stupid question, but what is 'tinning' the cables?

nice brake mod George  :daumenhoch:

Put some solder on the end.

It's an electronics thing - you would tin the ends of cables (by melting solder into them) so to attach them to the board or component, you just dab them with the iron, and their store of solder makes the connection!

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 10:34 AM »
Cool....thanks  :daumenhoch:

SaMAlex

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 11:03 AM »
So as and when you do want to adjust your brake Al, you can do a bit at the lever but any more and you'll have to pull the cables through the Fly?

I always leave some adjustment on the lever. I seem to adjust it often, depending on how im feeling that day. I like the blocks to hit the rim when the lever is Almost crushing my knuckles, and some days i need to back of a bit (once they are bleeding! haha).

Cables these days seem great, i dont need to do much major adjustment at all. I had to mess about a bit to get the blocks hitting the rim at the same time (trial and error on the brake pinchbolt) but they dont have to be perfect cos the gyro itself will iron out any slight offset.

Offline TwoBobRob

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 08:07 PM »
That's exactly why I was asking as it happens - I find myself fiddling with adjustment quite a lot too, much the same as yourself.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Park, Street & Dirt  |  My Gyro setup

gfxgfx
gfx gfx