gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:30 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Freehub - what is it?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Freehub - what is it?  (Read 685 times)

punkdSICO

Freehub - what is it?
« on: September 15, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Hey all - Stupid Question Alert!!

I just got some super sexy wheels off a list member, advertised with a "freehub" (not a freewheel, which I am familier with).  So, I just did a bit of googling to see what a freehub is and it seems to just be a variation of the freewheel idea, with a few design advantages thrown in.  Is this correct?

My main question is: does a freehub mean you can adapt it to allow you to coast backwards without the pedals spinning?

These are my new wheels:

ta for any replies..

Paul

Offline CD17

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: Freehub - what is it?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:59 PM »
No that will be a coaster or freecoaster, that will allow you to roll back with out the pedals turning.

I think a free hub is where the ratchet is built into the hub, not into the free wheel. Like most modern MTB/Road rear hubs & then you just select the size of sprocket you want  :daumenhoch:

Hope this makes sense  ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freehub

I can't see that very clearly, but that looks like a normal freewheel  :-\
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:01 PM by wish id kept my TA »

punkdSICO

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:48 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freehub

I can't see that very clearly, but that looks like a normal freewheel  :-\
Hey mate..  Yeah, I had read the wiki page, ta.

Its defo a freehub, just not a great picture.

Thanks for the info.  I think I know understand what it is (just an alternative to a basic freewheel).

ta,

Paul

theRuler

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 10:21 PM »
A freehub is like a coaster brake (pedal back brake) but WITHOUT the brake action.

So you can roll backwards without the pedals moving.

The picture above shows a normal ratchet freewheel.

I have been riding on a freehub for 15 years now.  Freecoaster is an old name for a freehub, back when coaster brakes were still in use.

Freehubs are big thick things, as they have the freehub guts in there, like a cassette hub.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Freehub - what is it?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx