gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 01:36 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brake pads for Nylon riims
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brake pads for Nylon riims  (Read 731 times)

Rever

Brake pads for Nylon riims
« on: September 09, 2011, 10:50 PM »
Hi there

I got my first build complete on a very strict budget and went on my first ride out today on it. Its using these nylon wheels

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-20-BMX-MAG-WHEELS-16-TOOTH-FREEWHEEL-NEW-/220824664399?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item336a2cf94f#ht_500wt_922

I helplessly watched my brake pads disappear and all semblance of braking with them. It also left some lovely rubber on my forks to clean.

Can anyone recommend some pads that will last and actually stop me?

Thanks for any help

(quick shout to Clean ((most helpful guy ever and we had a good bit chat all things bmx too)) and Rad Rat for their help with the build)

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Brake pads for Nylon riims
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:25 PM »
This is a war thats never been won i'm afraid  :LolLolLolLol: and when i first got into this i ran blue skyways with cheap blue pads and they turned to dust in 10 mins and covered chrome in blue dust  :LolLolLolLol: good luck mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline HARORIDER

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 11:31 PM »
i used to use acs z pads back in the day and found them to be better than tuff pads  :daumenhoch: kool stop pads are meant to be good too  :-\

brakedancer

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 08:37 AM »
dont think they are nylon wheels just plastic......

Rever

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 09:33 AM »
i used to use acs z pads back in the day and found them to be better than tuff pads  :daumenhoch: kool stop pads are meant to be good too  :-\

Cheers will give them a bash

dont think they are nylon wheels just plastic......

quite likely given the serious budget price

This is a war thats never been won i'm afraid  :LolLolLolLol: and when i first got into this i ran blue skyways with cheap blue pads and they turned to dust in 10 mins and covered chrome in blue dust  :LolLolLolLol: good luck mate  :daumenhoch:

It was odd as I remember my bmx back in the day being totally fine on mag wheels and braking, I guess im also double the weight though. The war continues

Was going downhill fully on the brake and slowing down very slowly  :LolLolLolLol: had a big panic at one point

Thanks for the replys all

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 10:03 AM »
I thought it was my brakes, or being slightly heavier, until I swapped my Tuffs on the rider for alloy rims and suddenly was actually able to stop when I wanted rather than having to put out a 5 minute warning.  If anyone knows what can actually stop Tuffs I'd like to know too!
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brake pads for Nylon riims

gfxgfx
gfx gfx