gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 12:14 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rear Nippon conversion??
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Rear Nippon conversion??  (Read 1548 times)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Rear Nippon conversion??
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:50 AM »
Can i convert this rear nippon to a Potts Mod front?  maybe changing the adjuster bolt and the lttle bit at the quick release that the cable sits into?  can it be done?

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
Re: Rear Nippon conversion??
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:52 AM »
I've got a new dc pots mod quick release that you could swap with that one  :daumenhoch:

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:53 AM »
you sure it can be changed?  the actual quick release is rivetted on....or do you mean the little bolt on part?   :daumenhoch:

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 11:57 AM »
old qr is cut off and the potts mod qr fitted
the adjuster is different for a front as well rob
both the above parts are available at porkchops

alternatively just cut off the qr and fit a cable guide. take off the adjuster and set it up as you would an fs880 caliper
you will need a longer spindle as well
get a bulldog front for 9.99 and swop all the parts maybe  :-\

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 11:58 AM »
grind off the rivit and press the new one in.  I can do it for you if you like .. i use a friends industrial press  :daumenhoch:

i have a spare one of these .. http://porkchopbmx.com/Dia-Compe-replacement-quick-release-for-front-brake-1008304.htm

then you just need one of these .. http://porkchopbmx.com/Dia-Compe-Brake-Adjuster-FRONT-883QLADJ.htm

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:02 PM »
old qr is cut off and the potts mod qr fitted
the adjuster is different for a front as well rob
both the above parts are available at porkchops

alternatively just cut off the qr and fit a cable guide. take off the adjuster and set it up as you would an fs880 caliper
you will need a longer spindle as well
get a bulldog front for 9.99 and swop all the parts maybe  :-\

The spindle is fine as it's going on a set of LG's so the rear spindle is just the right length.

Wildon, PM me with details and how much you want for the work and if no one wants a trade then i will take you up on your very kind offer  :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:13 PM »
You don't need to drill, cut or fook anything up to convert it to a front:

New one from Porkchop

http://porkchopbmx.com/Dia-Compe-Brake-Adjuster-FRONT-883QLADJ.htm

Unbolt the micro adjuster and bolt on a one from Porkchop then feed the cable through the QR mech up to the newly fitted adjuster which has a cable pinch olt on it  :daumenhoch:

OR you could just take off the micro adjuster and put the pinch bolt there and lose the ability to adjust cable tension  ;)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:17 PM by MartyC »

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 12:18 PM »
So Marty, you're saying i don't need a new QR just a new adjuster bolt from Porky?

???

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 12:22 PM »
the quick releases are different front and rear.  how would the cable slide through it?  you'd have to leave the bolt loose.  it'd be a bodge job and the nut would work loose and fall off

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 12:27 PM »
thats what id say as well terry
the qr on the front has like a cable guide fitted

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 12:30 PM »
i'm sure the QR is diferent Marty, i will check out the front on my other street beat later  :daumenhoch:

Offline Del

• Look Back
  • Re-living my youth!
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 12:31 PM »
the quick releases are different front and rear.  how would the cable slide through it?  you'd have to leave the bolt loose.  it'd be a bodge job and the nut would work loose and fall off

as Terry says, the QR is different

ozone

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 12:54 PM »

I've done this before and the solution is really easy.  Remove the anchor bolt that (secures the cable) from the QR and get a pear shaped ferrule and put that in the hole were the bolt used to go.  (this holds the outer cable in place like a proper front Nippon QR does - then the inner cabe is clamped by the new Porkchop QR)  It was a while ago when i did mine so I can't remember if the ferrule need a little fettling with a file so it fits snugly in the QR assembly but it definitely does the job. 

Ferrule
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Lever-Clarks-Alloy-Cable-Ferrules-VINTAGE-10-99p-/170686374647?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item27bdb362f7

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 01:49 PM »

I've done this before and the solution is really easy.  Remove the anchor bolt that (secures the cable) from the QR and get a pear shaped ferrule and put that in the hole were the bolt used to go.  (this holds the outer cable in place like a proper front Nippon QR does - then the inner cabe is clamped by the new Porkchop QR)  It was a while ago when i did mine so I can't remember if the ferrule need a little fettling with a file so it fits snugly in the QR assembly but it definitely does the job. 

Ferrule
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Lever-Clarks-Alloy-Cable-Ferrules-VINTAGE-10-99p-/170686374647?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item27bdb362f7

WHS ^^^

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline HUTCHMAN

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2011, 01:58 PM »
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=7566.0

Have a look at Fuzzynod's.(2nd and 3rd pic)

Hope that helps.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Rear Nippon conversion??

gfxgfx
gfx gfx