gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975759 Posts in 138934 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 29, 2024, 12:31 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Build Etiquette - Are there any rules and should they be broken
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Build Etiquette - Are there any rules and should they be broken  (Read 2102 times)

michaelprestage

Build Etiquette - Are there any rules and should they be broken????

Just a thought, be interested to know what if any rules I should abide by. Want an old skool f&f but like the new skool stuff too

Be interested to know people thoughts??? Dont want to get hanged when I do eventually meet up with the Rad Crew!!!!

theRuler

Re: Build Etiquette - Are there any rules and should they be broken
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 03:29 PM »
Do what you gotta do mate.

If you intend to ride it, then some new school parts can be beneficial.

At some RAD meets, there was a "fruity" guy who used to ride an old school Rickman, but with 1 1/8" new school forks shoehorned into it, and (IIRC) brake bosses welded on the back.

Sometimes an oldschool frameset dipped in new school parts is a winner.

And many old school builds are running new school Redline cranks, and new type Skyways.

Best thing about BMX - no rules.

Offline Tefore

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 03:30 PM »
its a personal thing mate its your bike do what ever you think is right. many folk like total era correct right down to dated brake cables .

just no landar components.lol

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Personally I try and be a couple of years within era correctness as that's what we did bitd, we bought a frame and fork, transferred parts from previous frame and forks and upgraded as we could afford.  If entering show and shine or BOTM/BOTY it will be judged on era correctness, the right year parts with the right year frame, tyres, cranks, etc.

But as Ruler and Tefore have said, it's all up to you and how you want to build it  :daumenhoch: .

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 03:45 PM »
It's your bike so build it the way you want it :daumenhoch:
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 04:10 PM »
It's your bike so build it the way you want it :daumenhoch:

100% correct, it is your bike you do it your way.

Most important rule I think is this... Enjoy it.

Offline QUADROPHENIA

• Site Supporter
  • Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 05:38 PM »

you cant beat a build with a few polished to death parts on it

griff

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 05:59 PM »
no-one on here will hang you mate - although I did discover fairly early on that elina snakeposts, despite being old school are not favoured by some  :angel:

lk_97

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 06:14 PM »
I'm doing this with my bike/s, not having enough money to buy an old school bike in one most times of the year. Currently I have a mk1 burner, which some of you may have started on, at the minute I'm about 5'8 so it's small, and not the strongest so I will buy a frame when I have more money to do freestyle on. A lot like most of you did in the 80's ;) I quite like the elina seats, I agree with you on the snake post though, I'm not too keen, but I like them because it's like the old school equivalent of an eclat complex, which I run on my new school bike :daumenhoch:

Beelzebug

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 06:32 PM »
I'm in the process of collecting parts for my first build (aero reflex), trying to keep most of the parts around the same era as the frame (+ or - a few years) using as many nos or excellent condition used parts as possible. There will be a few exceptions like the kneesaver bars I'm using, mainly because I'm on a budget...and I like the design of them  ;). Also the bike is going to be ridden, so will go for modern tyres probably.

My parts list is based upon bits I had on my bikes BITD and stuff I remember from the magazines at the time but couldnt afford  :(

Anyway as far as I remember BMX was never about rules  ;)

theRuler

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Laybacks, when fitted to old school frames are problematic (if you ride on it)

They are prone to bending very easily (with our "adult" weight!)

If the post is strong, then it puts undue stress on the junction where the seattube meets the toptubes (on twin toptube bikes, or bikes with a split toptube)

I would never use a lay back post on a bike that is intended to be ridden. By the nature of its shape, you are not pushing down on the post, you are trying to bend it backwards when sitting on it. Something is gonna give.

Even as a 15 year old, I cracked my frame at the toptube plate because of running a layback, and slamming down on the seat during failed jumps or poorly landed no handed cowboys.  They were a poorly thought out idea.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Some good pointers here already  :daumenhoch: IMO bro, there are no rules! It's like BITD when you only added parts as and when you could afford it. Build it how you want depending on what you want to do with it. Ride it, show it or just have it collecting dust  :coolsmiley:

I like to ride mine when I can and have just been out on my new build today  :-* Don't believe in having them to collect to dust. Before you know it, you will be too old and never will experience the thrill of being on it, peeps shouting across the road "nice ride" or being stopped in the street and just chatting BMX to just about anyone. LUV IT  :LolLolLolLol:

Heres a link to the build. I didn't keep it era correct, far from it. I couldn't be arsed tracking down all the parts for era correctness and as it's a rider, I wanted to have a fun build so I built it how I fancied, just how we did as kids  :smitten:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=130601.0

Enjoy it dude, it's what it's all about  :daumenhoch:  :coolsmiley:
BANNED

curtispro

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 10:16 PM »
All my bike are riders and are not built using 100% era correct parts as they are just to expensive to break, I use repo tyres and new twin pinch cranks and they ride sweet, they still have the old school style   :daumenhoch: it's your bike so build it how you like, have fun and enjoy it and try not to get to carried away, but I take my hat off to those on here who build the 100% correct dream bikes  :4_17_5:

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 10:19 PM »
For some reason, building bikes like people actually raced in the 80s [elina/uni seats, mismatched parts and colours] never seems to get done - so what exactly is being replicated other than a magazine picture?

Offline GTnumber1

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 10:36 PM »
even the air in my tyres is from the 80s  :D

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 11:22 PM »
Build what you like.. I bought a kappa pk20 and got got a bit of sh@t for that, but I like it.All about what you like :daumenhoch:
Griff loves BUM..

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 11:29 PM »
Build what you like.. I bought a kappa pk20 and got got a bit of sh@t for that, but I like it.All about what you like :daumenhoch:

Only coz it was made of wood ;D
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Clean

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 11:36 PM »
Build it how you want it built, mate, and never, ever worry what others think.  :daumenhoch:

In my memories of BITD we swapped out everything to make our bike our very own, unique ride.  :smitten:

I have never really understood this Factory spec. malarkey, personally, but each to their own.  ;)

Just build the bike that makes you smile, and that feels good to ride.  :D

If I am going to stick my neck out, it is to say this..... they are for riding, too, not just drooling over!  :coolsmiley:

B17SSY.T.A

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 12:15 AM »
Good point re Lay Back post .... Think ill stop bidding for one on the Bay ! .... jeeees must remember im 40 and not 14 haha .... phew glad I read this post !!!  :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 01:51 AM »
even the air in my tyres is from the 80s  :D
LOOOOL!

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 08:22 AM »
Most of the replies on here have given you the answer you need but if you ride it, then put what you need on it to work, but if you want to show it, try and keep he years of the parts roughly correct. I don't own any show bikes though, but my riders are all built like we had them BitD with upgraded components as time went on, so don't get too anal about it like some do looking for the correct dated brake cables ffs!

Ride them like you stole them is my feeling on builds - have a look at the MK race pics or Radchester from this weekend just gone to see stunning bikes getting some propper grief round a track or the streets to see what I mean ;-)
Still limping......

ukoldschool

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Some good pointers here already  :daumenhoch: IMO bro, there are no rules! It's like BITD when you only added parts as and when you could afford it. Build it how you want depending on what you want to do with it. Ride it, show it or just have it collecting dust  :coolsmiley:

Apparantly the "do what you want its your frame" ethos doesnt count if you own a tange frame and want to drill the gusset to make it into an ET replica. Even though you own it...........

;D

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Always make sure the collar matches the cuff's :daumenhoch:  (i.e the seat is the same colour as the grips  :daumenhoch:)

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Build Etiquette - Are there any rules and should they be broken

gfxgfx
gfx gfx