gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975626 Posts in 138927 Topics by 6348 Members - Latest Member: Dannygee June 28, 2024, 12:17 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Bike for a 7 year old to race on
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Bike for a 7 year old to race on  (Read 2251 times)

murakami

Bike for a 7 year old to race on
« on: July 27, 2011, 08:55 PM »
Hi guys

I don't post here much, but with the possiblity of a new trak opening here in Ireland i'm hoping to get my son started into racing. A few months ago I bought him a 20 inch 2003 Haro TR 2.2. I bought it second hand and thought it was an 18. He struggles a bit on it cos 1) cranks are too long and 2) he couldn't pull the Dirty Harry lever on it. I've messed around with the lever, but it seems way too pulled forward.

I'm unemployed, so trying to get a bike sorted for him as cheaply as possibly. He's 50inches tall and has an inseam of 22inches. I'm wondering if SINZ cranks at 140mm would help and if you guys might have suggestions for any better levers. At the same time the wheel at the back needs replacing. Can I possibly get all these parts for less than 100 or should i just consider cutting my loses and picking up one of the cheaper 18inch Mongoose bikes or maybe give him my 20" Haro F1 (cranks again though) and set the Tr up for myself.

I'd appreciate any help. He'll need a little convincing to take up the racing (He was initially all set for velodrome track racing with me) and I don't want to let a poor bike set up or anything else put him off.

Thanks

HEYWOOD BMX

Re: Bike for a 7 year old to race on
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 08:57 AM »
 :) Cut your losses,sell the TR and buy a used mini racebike.

Offline Jon The Bassist

• Flip-Whip
    • Delirium alt/rock/metal covers
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 10:11 AM »
+1.
Your lad seems quite tall though so may need a racebike that is actual a 'junior' - certainly don't get him a micro-mini.
My lad is 8 (but similar height), and he rides a junior bike with mini bars (lower rise) - he has 140mm cranks, and rides 1 3/8 rims and tyres as he likes jumping  >:D . A lot of 8 and unders will be on 1 1/8 wheels as they are lighter, but 1 3/8 are stronger and the tyres don't puncture as easily.

Check BMX talk for good value used racebikes.

murakami

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:03 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep an eye out for a Junior bike for him.

J4CK

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 08:37 PM »
i am in northern ireland too and was wonderin were the new track is opening

Offline popedante

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 04:09 PM »
i am in northern ireland too and was wonderin were the new track is opening

new track is in a village called Ratoath in county meath ( its about 15 miles north of Dublin )
should be opened in September   :daumenhoch:

sonic-1

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:35 PM »
my son is on a redline junior and abour same height , fits perfect
picked it up used , needed a couple of minor parts and a good service , cracking bike

digitaltransfer

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 05:22 PM »
My Lad races 7 Years Old not been on Rad for a whilse sorry guys !

Your Son needs a mini but adapt it to suit him bigger bars so he is looking over them rather than the ground at 7 should be on 145 or 150 cranks !

ref brakes go for SInz or similar that will wind in to make it easier to reach ! or use a cable tie to pull it back !

you can spend a fortune on bits !

The smaller frame will give him more control over the bike ! travis Wilson UK no 4 still on a redline mini !!! and he has more style than most he can manual and jump easily !! as can Elliott !! :4_17_5:

bof

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 06:09 PM »
I have a mini frame you can have for cost of the postage.  Let me know if you want it.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  New School BMX 2004 - Now  |  New School Racing  |  Bike for a 7 year old to race on

gfxgfx
gfx gfx