gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 01, 2024, 11:13 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  What Bikes did everyone ride?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: What Bikes did everyone ride?  (Read 13582 times)

Rich

What Bikes did everyone ride?
« on: May 25, 2006, 01:46 PM »
Hi all,

Not sure if this topic has been covered before as I'm new to the forum but would be interested to know what everyone used to ride over there BMXing careers?

My first ever race was at an indoor track in Stafford in 1984 on my brothers standard issue Raleigh Burner (which I won) & it started off the BMXing bug. My old man obviously saw some potential (as I beat the current West Mids Champ James Hall on that day) & got me a Redline to race on properly. That bike did me proud with my little Uni Mini saddle (like a razor blade to sit on but I suppose that was the point) as I won the West Mids Champs in my first year before getting disqualified after finishing fourth in the semi at the 84 British Champs in Derby (how can they disqualify a 7 year old?!).

Came 2nd at the British Champs in 85 in Derby then & that served me well until 1987 when I got a Peugeot Vitus (anyone remember them?). All aluminium frame & forks, could pick it up with one finger but unfortunately couldn't race on it for s%*t!

Eventually sold it to a mate's little brother in Bournemouth a couple of years after giving up racing, for a ridiculous sum of £30!  :idiot2:

That unfortunately was the last BMX I ever owned!

Ironic as well that probably only six months after moving down south I gave it all up when not only was Bournemouth BMX track less than 1 mile from where I lived but the famous Hotwheels shop was less than 2 miles!

Doh!

Jazzchimp

Re: What Bikes did everyone ride?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 01:54 PM »
Puch
Silver streak
then I gave up trying and bought a GT Performer in 84/5ish which I still have

Offline harris

• Founding Fathers
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:04 PM »
STARTED WITH A THING WITH MOTOMAG WHEELS HEAVY AS HELL I RODE IT FOR A LONG TIME .DID A JUMP AT ROM BROKE THE BACK WHEEL THEN EVERY TIME I RODE IT IT WOULD CLICK AS THE BROKEN BIT WOULD CRUNCH AGAINST THE BRAKE.THEN I GOT A KUWAHARA A FEW YEARS LATER FOR RACING.THEN GOT INTO FREESTYLE I GOT A CURTIS FREESTYLER WHICH I STILL OWN THEN GOT SPONSORED RODE A BUNCH OF RUBBISH IN THE LATE 1990S GOT A OLD GT PERFORMER DRIPPING IN TOP PARTS SOLD IT FOR A PITENCE NOW I HAVE TONNES OF LOVELYS.

huffy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 02:18 PM »
WELL MY 1ST BMX WAS A FALCON(CRAP) BENT CRANKS 4 TIMES
  NEXT WAS A TEAM MURRAY EVEN WORSE THAN THE FALCON SNAPPED 6 FRAMES ,,MY DAD ENDED UP PAYING SOME GUY TO TIG THE WHOLE FRAME ALOT BETTER
   NEXT DAD FORKED OUT FOR A COVENTRY EAGLE MAMBA HAD A TANGE HOT HEART FRAME N FORKS THATS WHEN I STARTED TO DO OK
     MY NEXT BIKE WAS A SUPERGOOSE GOD IT FLEW  WON EVERY THING ON IT REGIONLY ,EVEN JUMPED KONG ON IT AT WIGAN (SCAREY)

AFTER THAT I DISCOVERED GIRLS WERE MORE FUN TO RIDE AND SO I GOT RID OF GOOSEY
  DAMM I WISH I KEPT IT CAUSE AM BACK INTO RACEIN IT WOULD HAVE DONE ME A TREAT

THEY ARE QUITE sought after THESE DAYS BUT HAVE NOT SEEN ANY ORIGONAL SPEC BIKES

MIGHT HAVE BROKE THE BANK FOR IT ,IF THERE WAS

NOW IM BUILDING ME ELF X STAY UP AND GOT ME A NICE GT CRUISER 

BRILL FUN TO BE BACK ON THE GATE     ,,,OH YES

CHEERS RUSS

Offline bodamus

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 02:21 PM »
I started with a Diamond Back Silver Streak in 1982 my first real bike. Then in 1983 got a Kuwahara E.T. Then from 1984-87 I had Mongoose Californian then in late 1987/88 I rode a GT Pro Freestyle World Tour which got completely trashed in an accident in around 1990. Then got a second hand Kuwahara Nova to ride in late 1990 which again got completely trashed in an accident with a minibus. Then rode a second hand 84 Haro Freestyler which got stolen from outside my then girlfriends house funny thing was they stole my bike and left my mates Super Tuff Burner there. Then no more bikes until the mid 1990's when I brought a KHE Catweasel which I had for less than a year before selling it.

Will now be back riding again this summer on a Chrome 1984 Curtis Freestyler.

From bodamus :daumenhoch:

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 02:36 PM »
ATOMIC STAR
GHP( till i snapped it)
BURNER(with GHP forks) rode suprisingly well
Repaired GHP

took a break 85-93
owned skyway with hutch aero speeds etc
flogged that for a tenner! in 93

bought fook all else till 3 year ago

jon016847

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 02:58 PM »
My first bmx was from a discount store in Worcester, it was early 80's and it was called an Alpina, had a cotterpin crank and a back pedal brake - LOL  , Fortunalty I snapped it by building jumps on our driveway and thrashing the fook out of it,

Next my Parents purchase a Stock Mongoose Californian, which was soon customised to have suntour VX three piece cranks, renthal bars, uni seat etc,  Man those pro class rims were a bugger for pinching the tubes and getting punctures, LOL

Next I had a JMC, as they only did f&f bats / seatposts, it was a great opportunity to have a 100% custom bike,  I loved it ,  ended up with 6WM ranking in may age group for a couple of seasons,.   I sold it with full jmc racing kit and two sets of wheels,  1.5's and 1 38/ths  for £60.00

However in later life it sparked my desire to collect one of each 20" JMC

Enjoy !!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 02:59 PM by jon016847 »

Reggie

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 03:02 PM »
what do you play in that room, domino soldiers with bmxs....?

nice collection.  8)

Reggie

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 03:13 PM »
My frist BMX was the Cycle Pro.  Nice bike but quite heavy.

I gave that to my sister when I upgraded to a Mongoose Supergoose III with Skyway Tuff II's (god I loved that bike!)

Rebuilding a Mongoose Cali at moment.... just waiting for a chain, tyres and axel nuts and I'll be ridin' again this summer  :buck2:

Cheers

Reggie

jon016847

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 03:21 PM »
Nice style Reggie,   great to hear of anotherr old bmx'er making a come back, I had a 20 year break and I am racing again now and loving it !

Bring it on !!

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 03:39 PM »
I started in 1981 in Canada riding a Scorpion.  When my family moved to the UK in 1982 I started racing on a Yamaha BYZ401, this lasted until I gained a co-sponsorship deal with Hotwheels riding a JMC, I rode JMC until 1983/4 when I got full sponsorship for Curtis.  I rode a Curtis in both 20" and 24" (also had a Curtis freestyler) for about a year, until I started riding for the GT Factory team.  I then rode a GT Pro in 20" and a re-stickered Curtis in 24" (I didn't like and couldn't get on with the GT cruiser). 

I retired in 1985.

Started again 2002.

Me on my Yamaha in 82.

Me on JMC in 83.

Me on GT in 85.

Offline kdw712

• 900 Air
    • kdw712 bmx adventures in old school
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 03:44 PM »
and me
well i had a piranha in 80/81 and gave it up in 83 some time to go to work, drink beer, drive a rusty car etc .....  ;D
cheers Kev
{ wanted : "Red Haro Handle" brake lever link to my trade post }

se

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 04:02 PM »
Ah the Cycle Pro! One of those was my first bike in late '82. Blue with big yellow snap-on vinyl pads. Copy Kashimax saddle that was so sharp it once nearly cut me a new anus. Then I got a GT Standard in '84 and raced that for three seasons. Then I sat handpainted in Hammerite for nearly 20 years before I scrubbed it up last year.

FORDY

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 05:52 PM »
i had a vitus too! They were light especially with 11/8th's on

Offline danny silverstreak

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 07:12 PM »
i had a piranha for xmas 82 , when i proved to my mum bmx wasnt a fad i got a db silverstreak with skyways xmas 83 loved it

then sold my db and got a fs1e , picture of me wheelying the piranha with cast iron wheels and impressing the girls with my pucnture repairing skills
then picture of my sisters kuwahara with chain guard  :wtf: and me and my sister on our bikes

wish i knew what happened to the kuwie :(

Offline sawzall

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 07:29 PM »
my first bike was a mud cruncher(would love to find one of these ) then i had a supergoose2 currently under resto,then i had a db, mongoose pro class and a ripper i still own them all apart from the db...

British race frames and race clothing wanted

DR VINOAH

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2006, 07:31 PM »

1979 mongoose motomag thrashed it loved it(sorry no surviving pix)
went rom a lot
1982 2nd hand supergoose thrashed it loved it(didnt want any other bmx,other than a pk ripper)

went rom some more
sold it in 86
regretted it ever since
hence the resto rebuild im currently working on pix to come :angel:

mid nineties got an ACE "pulse" shitedawg,got nicked and i was glad :2funny:

2003 got diamond back reactor pro (still got)

2006 got me wish bike looptail pk ripper cheers rhys
which is me rider :4_17_5:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 03:59 PM by VINOAH »

wolfybmx

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2006, 08:47 PM »
I started in 1981 in Canada riding a Scorpion.  When my family moved to the UK in 1982 I started racing on a Yamaha BYZ401, this lasted until I gained a co-sponsorship deal with Hotwheels riding a JMC, I rode JMC until 1983/4 when I got full sponsorship for Curtis.  I rode a Curtis in both 20" and 24" (also had a Curtis freestyler) for about a year, until I started riding for the GT Factory team. 

Me on GT in 85.

THIS BOTTOM PIC IS FROM THE SAME MEETING I WAS AT RACIN MY GT CRUISER HAVE A PIC OF ME AND MY TEAM MATE / BEST MATE ON THIS VERY CORNER. WHATS YA REAL NAME

Offline Tefore

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2006, 08:53 PM »
1st was a super tuff burner mk1 (still got)
280x torker sold for £30 to insure my rd50 :idiot2:

ZippyDixon

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2006, 08:54 PM »
Started racing in 83 locally on a panther with acorn mags,I thought it was the nuts back then,had about a year out then came back with a Falcon 'Grandstand Flyer',then stated to build my own bikes up,fist off was an MRD Expert followed by a Profile Expert,still wish I had that very bike today :(!!!!!
     Stu

thombsie

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2006, 10:15 PM »
i started off with a Burner, then had a Wilson mini and a Birmingham Wheels Mini frame

Offline lazychubs

• Founding Fathers
  • BMX Nerd
  • Rated:
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2006, 10:27 PM »
well started out on a grifter lol
then got a diamond back viper
then worked in a bike
so got a kuwhara frestlyer
with all the best bits on it
which me bro later sold for a fiver
got back into about  3 years ago
got a few bikes now lol

gmac

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 10:36 PM »
My one and only bike BITD was a Team Murray  ;D

retrogeezer

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2006, 11:25 PM »
off the top of my head...and in some sort of order:

Team Murray
Pro-Lite (rainbow stickers)
Early Scorpion (with lugged tubing)
BMX Magnum (shite from Tensor cycles)
MT Silverfox
Curtis Pro

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 11:36 PM by retrogeezer »

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 07:43 AM »
THIS BOTTOM PIC IS FROM THE SAME MEETING I WAS AT RACIN MY GT CRUISER HAVE A PIC OF ME AND MY TEAM MATE / BEST MATE ON THIS VERY CORNER. WHATS YA REAL NAME

Wolfy, my real name is Sean Stiddard, Nationally I raced in the same age group as Tom Lynch, Rob Stobbart, Whopper Watkins, Tim Print, Stu Diggens etc, a real bitch of an age group to race in.  Regionally I rode in the South Central region, which included Bristol, Bath, Bournemouth, Wimborne, Poole, Southampton, Newton Abbot, Swindon etc.

Regionally I was South Central No. 1 on 20" and 24", two years running
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 07:49 AM by stidds »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Race (riders ready, pedals ready... GO!!)  |  What Bikes did everyone ride?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx