gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 19, 2024, 12:10 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Is it just me or.....
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Is it just me or.....  (Read 651 times)

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Is it just me or.....
« on: August 15, 2011, 02:31 PM »
....there are too many 'old bits' that are being polished away  :-\

Where are all the nice bright colours that we used to have BITD ?? All I really see coming up for sale are Silver this, Silver that, Polished this, Polished that  :( It seems that too many people are jumping on the wagon of stripping off the anodising and polishing up the parts  :shocked: Even as builders, if you cannot find the part you are after 'immediately', you buy a NOS coloured part and strip it to feed your need  :(

Who cares if it's slightly marked or slightly faded ?? Isn't that how it's meant to be ?? I ride all my bikes and don't really want to be putting expensive parts on to get damaged so like to grab the 'nearly new, shelf wear, slightly used' parts.

Leave the expensive mint parts for those who just want to collect and gather dust but please also leave the other 'original' parts original for us who just want to ride  :daumenhoch:  :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:35 PM by Londonhellboy »
BANNED

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Is it just me or.....
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 03:52 PM »
I agree 100%, it seems as though people polish the crap out of parts even to the stage they seem half the size they were originally.

My thinking is that a lot of the BOTM & BOTY winners are all chrome, chrome, chrome and people see this and that is the way they build theirs.

I am not a lover of chrome anyway, always prefered the look of a painted frame.  But it does seem that a painted bike with rare parts will always get beaten in a BOTM competition by a all chrome bike even if that chrome bike has sh*t parts on it.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 04:16 PM »
I picked up these cranks off spen @ MK

and by the end of the weekend i'd lost count of the amount of people that asked if i was going to polish them up! NO IM FOOKING NOT!!!! IM GOING TO RIDE THE SHlT OUT OF THEM!!!

Offline Jamroll

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 04:37 PM »
I agree 100%, it seems as though people polish the crap out of parts even to the stage they seem half the size they were originally.

My thinking is that a lot of the BOTM & BOTY winners are all chrome, chrome, chrome and people see this and that is the way they build theirs.

I am not a lover of chrome anyway, always prefered the look of a painted frame.  But it does seem that a painted bike with rare parts will always get beaten in a BOTM competition by a all chrome bike even if that chrome bike has sh*t parts on it.

With my last build the CW Cali i just wanted an all out bling machine just to do something a little different, the only part on that bike that was NOS and stripped though was the Renthal seat post,all other bits were polished before i got  ::) .The bike was really only entered into BOTM to make up the numbers as i assumed that with the likes of Goffs Trickstar, Kung Funky's 70's Ripper and Johns Supergoose I wouldn't of had a chance, but i finished up tied for 1st  :uglystupid2: It would appear that a bit of bling does catch the attention of others  >:D I for one certainly wouldn't go out and buy for example a NOS annod power disc and then strip and polish them coz there is someone out there who would prefer the original finish, just wanna say that even though its all bling the CW does get ridden and doesn't just sit in a corner of my lounge and get looked at!

Offline Taipan

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 05:26 PM »
I picked up these cranks off spen @ MK

and by the end of the weekend i'd lost count of the amount of people that asked if i was going to polish them up! NO IM FOOKING NOT!!!! IM GOING TO RIDE THE SHlT OUT OF THEM!!!

nice looking cranks mate :daumenhoch: just need a quick polish and they'll be ace!  ::)

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 05:39 PM »
if you build bikes for show then good luck looking for mint anno parts,the cheapest way to build show ponies is to buy stuff that needs resto,hence the reason why alot of stuff is stripped and polished as its the only way to salvage it sometimes.the price of stuff is going thru the roof these days,id love more  anno stuff but i aint gonna part with £300 + quid for a set of red/blue/black/gold wheels or £200 for a red//blue/black/gold stem.im guessing re-annoing is the answer but again its down to money. :-\
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline brummie

• Team Moderator
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 06:54 PM »
 ::) i know someone that de annoed a nos red dc clamp once  :knuppel2:  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 07:17 PM »
::) i know someone that de annoed a nos red dc clamp once  :knuppel2:  :LolLolLolLol:
who was that dave :2funny:
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

gobshite

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 07:33 PM »
http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=85558.0

the work this guy has done for me has always been top notch.

trasher

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 08:56 PM »
n2cus lives on ,he could polish a turd ,,,at least no ones painting tuffs again  :idiot2:

to be honest when i first got into this ,i liked to have a little polish ,but now much prefer the restored to og stuff like stevp does  :4_17_5:

keep the polish under the sink , to bring out now and then to make your dinning room table shine

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 10:18 PM »
Terry mate you still want me to polish that seat post clamp to a mirror finish  ??? ;D
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 01:48 AM »
Terry mate you still want me to polish that seat post clamp to a mirror finish  ??? ;D
Don't want a mirror finish dude, just want a tidy up. It was bare alloy to start with and just needs a little attention and as I don't have the tools, space, time and patience like you do hunny, I'm sending it you  :-*  :smitten:  :LolLolLolLol:
BANNED

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Is it just me or.....

gfxgfx
gfx gfx