gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 01:50 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Shipping bikes across the pond?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Shipping bikes across the pond?  (Read 316 times)

Offline GT world

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
Shipping bikes across the pond?
« on: August 14, 2011, 09:04 AM »
Right....Ive found a bike out in the states that i must have  8)  and wondered what couriers you guys can recommend.Also pitfalls ie tax  :( .....is that just as simple as declaring it as near nothing?

I have had a few quotes and the best i have achieved with these dims of 94L x23w x71cm 18kg is using a small company down south who use DHL.That seems to come out at 130ish quid.

Ive been shipping back and forth across the pond with IT components for years but nothing on this scale with little trouble.

I would be grateful for any advice and recommendations  :)

Cheers Neil

Offline stidds

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
Re: Shipping bikes across the pond?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15 AM »
I always us USPS for shipping from the US to the UK, get the sender to package it as small as possible.  Sometimes marking it as a gift with no value helps, but to be honest you can never be sure if it will get stopped by customs.  Also if you value it as zero, if it goes missing then the insurance won't be a lot of help as it is valued at zero.

lk_97

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Don't mean to highjack the thread, sorry. But how much would it cost if they took the wheels, seat/post and handle bars off? And packed it in a 12" bike box or something?

Offline markyp

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:20 PM »
customs are being reet fookers these days,ive just been done on a tuf neck,a frame and i now have a zeronine plate winging its way to me,im expecting charges on that too altho  i told the seller to mark it with no value,hope it doesnt get lost or damaged otherwise thats me stuffed :-\
Arsenal FC not Arsene FC

Victoria Concordia crescit

Offline GT world

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Ive just tried usps and its telling me with those dims it is oversize for any of there services  :(

I wonder if its worth splitting it into two shipments as some say it  is the answer?

Offline ORANGEZIPPY

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 10:19 PM »
i always split a complete bike into 2 boxes, wheels and couple of bits in one, the rest in the main box.

careful on insurance, dont get too greedy, and my suggestion is to pay a bit of customs charge, so you can have it a little insured, so if it gets lost, your covered a bit

usps air mail is by far the best value for a bmx

:daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Shipping bikes across the pond?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx