gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975769 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 06, 2024, 01:28 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  mig welding vs brazing?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: mig welding vs brazing?  (Read 491 times)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
mig welding vs brazing?
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:22 AM »
Ok, go easy on me as i know fook all about either.

Lets just say i decided to chop shop a cheap steel frame and cut new tubes to a nice tidy joint. Could i fillet braze the joints with map gas and brass/silver rods or would a mig welder be better?

P.S I'm a cheap bstard and am only having a go so i dont want to spend hundreds on the right gear  :-[
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
Re: mig welding vs brazing?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 07:41 AM »
Both are good methods but............................its all down to the skill of the welder

Welding is a skill or even an art and its a bloody hard one to get right  :daumenhoch:
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 09:19 PM »
Braizing is stronger if done correctly as it does not melt the parent metal so doesn't build in added stress that needs 2 b anealed  ;) MIG is nice and strong but not as neat as TIG on thin tubing  :daumenhoch:

lk_97

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 09:42 PM »
So what exactly is a bubblegum weld? I've saw one but I don't really know what they are...

Offline Peter J

• BMX Nerd
  • I have issues
    • http://www.sumoservices.com/
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 09:44 PM »
So what exactly is a bubblegum weld? I've saw one but I don't really know what they are...

Crap welding

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2748674
I might actually build a bike this year instead of just hoarding parts :)

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 09:54 PM »
i'm thinking more brazing at the moment, looking to have a go making my own frame over the christmas hols.  :Great_Britain:  :daumenhoch:
Anyone got any tips? 
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline mattfx81

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Brazing will be cheaper and more practical, mig isnt so good on thinner gauge materials. With brazing its all about the gap or rather creating the right conditions for the filler material to flow into the joint via surface tension to create a strong joint. Tig is even better as you have more control of the heat input in the joint and amout of filler material deposited but a  decent machine is expensive and requires practice.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 01:23 AM »
Brazing will be cheaper and more practical, mig isnt so good on thinner gauge materials. With brazing its all about the gap or rather creating the right conditions for the filler material to flow into the joint via surface tension to create a strong joint. Tig is even better as you have more control of the heat input in the joint and amout of filler material deposited but a  decent machine is expensive and requires practice.

Cheers. If i was looking to fillet braze a joint (i think thats what they call it) where you use more of the rod, like a mig weld i guess, do i still use flux or is that mainly to help the brazing material to flow into snug joints such as lugs?

Offline mattfx81

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 01:49 AM »
Yes, you can use the flux to help wet the surface to let the braze flow more easily.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  mig welding vs brazing?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx