gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 04:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  **CURTIS BUILT PR RACING STYLER 'TWEAKED'!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: **CURTIS BUILT PR RACING STYLER 'TWEAKED'!!  (Read 34276 times)

deeman

**CURTIS BUILT PR RACING STYLER 'TWEAKED'!!
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:19 AM »
Hi,my name is Damian from Watford,37 years old.Recently got the urge for an old school bmx after attending bug jam this year and probably,like most people,i wanted the bike i had as a kid,a PR RACING STYLER.i bought the frame and forks secondhand when i was about 11 years old,from Mud Machine in croydon.the fella in the shop told me it was a prototype that never got released.I never had confirmation of this but as i never ever saw anyone else who had one i was inclined to believe him.It wasnt actually my first bmx,that was a DRAGON FREESTYLER,purchased from wheels cycles in dunstable, a HEAVY taiwanese frame which was white,built up with black ogk's,but just too heavy,hence we bought the PR frame and forks.My father and i built the bike up beautifully with white acorn freestyle mags,haro white tyres,mx 901/880s,spinner etc etc.it was my proudest possesion as a kid and i spent hours riding it.Anyway,as the story goes i ended up selling the whole bike for 75 notes when i was 13 or 14 to finance a new skateboard which i had gotten far more interested in as i found it physically easier to do.I always regretted selling that bike and wished i still had it for years.A friend told me about this site a couple of months ago and i have been in awe of most of the bikes on here since and i resigned myself to the fact that i was never going to find my old PR Styler and the search began to find another one of my iconic heroes from bitd i.e an 84 pro performer,redline RL-20 etc.always liked the GTs but in the back of my mind i knew my old PR was a nicer bike.Imagine how i felt a few days ago when scouring ebay i simply put PR Racing into the search more for the hell of it,not expecting anything to come up,and there before my eyes was a spanking new PR Styler Frame and fork set being sold by a friend of then comany director Peter Rose' family.apparently they had a few frames in storage from back in the day.I nearly shat myself with excitement and felt 12 yrs old all of a sudden!i was pacing round my living room,didnt know what to do with myself!anyway long and short of it i won the frame last night for 296 quid after fierceish bidding,i would have payed a grand for it i had to have it!!!cant wait to start building the bike,probably going to take a while to afford the rest of bits.i was wondering if anyone else has owned a PR Styler in the past or still owns one(maybe my old one!!),or even knows anyone who has one, and if anyone has any pics i can look at for inspiration'the only one i have ever seen built up was my own,anyway heres a few of the frame,note:virgin dropouts lol
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:31 PM by deeman »

Offline brettypeeps

• Team Admin / Mechanic
  • My life is Radbmx
    • Bretts Bikes
  • Rated:
Re: PR STYLER
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:26 AM »
Welcome to the Site Damian and good luck with the build :daumenhoch:

I  cant wait to see some pics of it :daumenhoch:

deeman

Re: PR STYLER
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:09 AM »
thanks very much,stoked to know other people share the same interest!thought i would mention the PR frames were made of T45 aircraft aluminium,same as the curtis frames,i dont know if that is a good or bad thing'mine certainly never broke but then i was a 12 year old kid!!i am going to build the bike to same kind of spec as i had bitd but with maybe one or two bits i couldnt afford then i.e redline cranks!the spec list should read something like this:
acorn freestyle mags with coaster(although will probably go with tuffs)
acs spinner
dia compe mx901/880 brakes with tech 77 locking levers
ame grips
prob tuf neck stem/seatclamp
redline 3 pc cranks
those are the definites anyway,i am unsure about what bars to use yet.i had a pair of halford team wilson race bars on mine bitd but will probably go for something a bit more freestyle orientated this time,maybe old pro performer bar??also i used to have a skyway hot seat on mine but cant seem to find them now?anyone got one?know where i can get one?any help appreciated!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:25 PM by deeman »

deeman

Re: PR RACING STYLER-SLOWLY GETTING THERE!!updated
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:31 AM »

O.K,its starting to resemble a bike now!the spec so far reads:
white repro tuffs
white panaracer freestyle tires
polished tuf neck stem
profile retro cranks 175 mm
polished donut seatclamp
chrome kkt lightnings
mx901/fs880 with tech77 lockers
chrome sugino 44t
parts to follow are:
potts bolt and ACS rotor
green dc brake cables
white ame rounds
forklifter style bars(chrome of course!)
im stoked on the progress so far,just wish i could afford for it to be quicker!my impatience has not got any better in 25 years!im hoping im going to get a chance to ride it before summer is out!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:57 PM by deeman »

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
Re: PR RACING STYLER SLOWLY GETTING THERE!updated
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 01:18 PM »
was'nt there one of these just sold stickered up as a curtis on ebay ?.
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline dordymush

• Berm Worm
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 01:20 PM »
lol fookin thing was in the thread under this one  :crazy2:

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=131970.0
dave the bmxing gypo

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 01:27 PM »
I have a funny feeling these were actually made by Brian Curtis but I'm old and forget a lot these days... however, there has been about 50 threads on this very bike or one similar on here over the last few weeks.

Curtis or not, that is a cracking bike and you are building it just how you want it so well done. Try and ride the bloody thing as it is a very unusual looking bike and probably never had a factory spec, so it's a blank canvass for you to put whatever parts you want onto it :daumenhoch:

Oh, and Robbo has just put a set of white Ami Rounds up for sale for £7 so be quick if you need them bud :shocked:

Spen
Still limping......

theRuler

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 01:29 PM »
That's a really nice looking frame!

T45 is a steel alloy though, not aluminium.

Should make a great bike when it is all done.  Never seen one before!

deeman

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 03:24 PM »
I have a funny feeling these were actually made by Brian Curtis but I'm old and forget a lot these days... however, there has been about 50 threads on this very bike or one similar on here over the last few weeks.

Curtis or not, that is a cracking bike and you are building it just how you want it so well done. Try and ride the bloody thing as it is a very unusual looking bike and probably never had a factory spec, so it's a blank canvass for you to put whatever parts you want onto it :daumenhoch:

Oh, and Robbo has just put a set of white Ami Rounds up for sale for £7 so be quick if you need them bud :shocked:

Spen
The frames were indeed made by Curtis when the company was just 'CURTIS'.There have been a number of related threads,a bit confusing!the thread 'curtis on ebay' was started by bruggers when this frame first appeared on ebay.I started this thread when i won the frame.There has also been one recently started by the seller of a complete bike with a similar 'BRIAN CURTIS FRAMES' frame,titled it think 'BRIAN CURTIS T45 Tubing in 1984'.To clarify,my frame is unique to PR RACING and is not a restickered BRIAN CURTIS FRAME!the BRIAN CURTIS frames are SIMILAR to this one,it looks as if he used the basic geometry from my frame but played around a bit,there are still major differences!PR only ever sold frames so no factory spec,happy days! im simply building the bike as near as damn it to how i used to have it bitd just with all the tasty bits i couldnt afford back then i.e cranks(i still cant afford them now!!)dont worry,i fully intend to ride it,i cant wait!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 11:51 AM by deeman »

Offline bruggers100

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 05:27 PM »
Very nice so far, can't wait to see this fully built.

Offline Gatters

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 07:21 PM »
BOTM future contender......looking nice  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gashead

• Team Owner
  • Hoffman's Love Child
  • Up the Gas
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 07:27 PM »
 :4_17_5:

deeman

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 08:26 PM »
That's a really nice looking frame!

T45 is a steel alloy though, not aluminium.

Should make a great bike when it is all done.  Never seen one before!
thanks man,the only other one ive ever seen was my old one!according to the man from PR only 20 framesets were made.His son had one,i wonder what happened to the other 18'the minute its built ill post a pic of the one handed endo!!

theRuler

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 10:38 PM »
That's a savage seat tube angle.
Hope there won't be a layback on there!

It's almost TRM laid back!!

Building that childhood freestyle bike that no one remembers rules.
I did the same.

Offline OrgasmDonor

• Berm Worm
  • I got the sauce for beef butterflies
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 10:46 PM »
awesome lookin f/f  :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 11:00 PM »
That's a savage seat tube angle.
Hope there won't be a layback on there!

It's almost TRM laid back!!

Building that childhood freestyle bike that no one remembers rules.
I did the same.
lol,yea,its kinda steep!,keeps the frame compact!(i think the top tube measures 16.5"!)no will be running a straight post,not into laybacks.i just couldnt turn this down when i came across it,it had to be mine,whatever the price!i was getting ready to sell my car cheap if bidding got too silly!thats how much i had to have it.i just never thought id have the opportunity again.STOKED!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:22 PM by deeman »

theRuler

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2011, 11:30 PM »
I know the feeling mate!

Looking forward to seeing this completed, and you aboard it doing some endos.

trickydeno

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 05:35 PM »
nice mate  :)

Offline TORKER mick

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 08:58 PM »
loveing the look of the build mate keep the pictures coming :daumenhoch:

griff

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 09:59 PM »
nice bike damian - look forward to seeing this built  :daumenhoch:

deeman

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for your positive comments,im itching to get this thing built now!ive had another minor spending spree on here this week as a few good bits came up,i might just have it built by the end of august!!will keep the thread updated as soon as more shiny bits arrive!

theRuler

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 01:08 AM »
By the end of august :(

I reckon you can wrap it up before then!

deeman

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 02:41 AM »
SHIIIIT!what was i talking about?end of this month,could be sooner,i need a chain,inner tubes and brake pads and i think im good to go!

griff

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Damian, the radbmx own brand clear pads work great on tuffs if you want to actually stop
I tried the new skyway ones first, thinking I'd be ok but they just slowed me down gradually ;D

get it built and lets see some piccies

and then get out on it and RIDE!  :daumenhoch:

Offline mattfx81

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 05:24 PM »
Well that settles the pr racing mystery, did the PR racing race frames have unique geometry or were they re stickered Curtis frames do you know deeman?

Matt

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Old School BMX 1980 - 1988  |  Old School Freestyle (frame stands and kickturns galore!)  |  **CURTIS BUILT PR RACING STYLER 'TWEAKED'!!

gfxgfx
gfx gfx