gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 20, 2024, 06:38 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brake set up AD/FS990 's
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Brake set up AD/FS990 's  (Read 900 times)

squigly

Brake set up AD/FS990 's
« on: July 26, 2011, 01:08 PM »
Afternoon all,

Wondering if anyone has a link to or can post some directions to setting up an FS990/AD990 so it grabs like it should, mine feels dull and hard to pull and just slurrs  ??

I recently took some Aluminium 48's off a bike i have and put some Tuff II's on it and i just can't get the brakes to grab like they should, got some on a Haro Sport and it locks solid on both aluminium and tuff rims and is a joy to ride but on this other bike its just, well... pants !  Like there is not enough movement and the movement it has is too slow and stiff (if that makes any sense?) I have fiddled (i'd like to say adjusted but it just doesnt cut it) with the spring retainers to get the pads evenly spaced etc but feel i've messed up the torque they should provide ?

I've searched the net and found very little, i searched the site and found very little also so just a few pointers to get me started would be a great help !

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
Re: Brake set up AD/FS990 's
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Undo the allen bolt, and put a spanner on the spring retainer. Whilst holding the allen key in the allen key bolt, do up the spring retainer with the spanner until you feel you have a good torque on the spring, then do up the allen key bolt to hold it there. Try and keep the torque the same on both sides (the spring retainer should be slotted to hold the spanner and try and get them in an equal position on both sides, like mirror image)

Thats the best starting point  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

squigly

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 01:22 PM »
I'm such a dork, i didnt even think of just holding them with the spanner and pulling the lever to see if it was in the correct place LOFL i may be able to build cars and engineer hydraulic systems but a brake caliper... oooohh tricky stuff. :uglystupid2:

I will get on this tonight, thanks.

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 01:25 PM »
 :LolLolLolLol:  :D  :coolsmiley:
BANNED

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 12:41 AM »
make sure you grease your cables as well.  :daumenhoch:

Offline Dannywhac

• BMX Nerd
  • return of the whac
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 08:49 AM »
And don't forget to pull them springs in the mech round the right way - can't remember off hand which way it is as at work (and it depends which way round you've done the springs), but don't torque em up against the spring (still work they'll just not be as good and last half as long). :)
"Listen. I don't care what you say. Chlamydia is a soup." (Phelps, L. 2000)

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 08:51 AM »
just take your time and think about it a little, i've always found them the easiest things in the world to set up  :-\

squigly

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 09:34 AM »
They are much better, got some nice comfortable movement at the lever with little resistance, the brakes dont grab though, but that is probably down to bog standard pads on tuffs so i wont adjust them anymore until i've replaced the pads with something known to work on tuffs !

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Brake set up AD/FS990 's

gfxgfx
gfx gfx