gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 01:25 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing saddle rails ?
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Removing saddle rails ?  (Read 1026 times)

Night Rider

Removing saddle rails ?
« on: July 21, 2011, 07:36 AM »
Just got a Shot Gun II saddle with red coloured rails that need restoring. How do I remove them without damaging the saddle?

punkdSICO

Re: Removing saddle rails ?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 08:29 AM »
Just got a Shot Gun II saddle with red coloured rails that need restoring. How do I remove them without damaging the saddle?
It’s a tough one..  I had/have the same problem with a Kashi.  After reading most of the internet, I believe your only option is to stick the seat in boiling water, leave for a few mins then try and bend the seat to allow the rails to come out.  However, after a few attempts and using all my force, I'll be buggered if the Kashi rails are coming out…  I've now restored them as best I can with them in place.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. 

Paul

Moza

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:48 AM »
Ive done this in the past...............but I couldnt get them back in :(

Offline MaD-RoK

• Flip-Whip
  • I think my eyeball is allergic to sperm.
    • +100km BMX Marathon. Donate here....
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:03 AM »
As said, I'd try and do them best you can while they are in place. I have tried a couple of times and ended up 1 X snapped seat and 1 X seat with bent rails. It would be a bit emotional to happen on a seat like that too.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:43 AM by madrok »

Offline R Al

• Rockwalk
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Ive done this in the past...............but I couldnt get them back in :(

X2 my advice would be don't bother could never get them back in, was same seat too

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:04 PM »
I have often wondered about this topic as it seems brute force is the only answer. I'm sure with a bit of thought some sort of jig/clamp could be made up to compress the rails in a controlled manner. I will give it some thought this weekend, i like problem solving, and if i come up with owt maybe it could be posted around to those who need it like the rim straightening jig :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 04:20 PM »
it may be possible to drill the back of the seat where the rails stop to let them slide back enough to remove from the front of the seat. once refurbished stick them in and fill the holes with some sort of glue/melted plastic. may work for black coloured seats but it'd be hard to match another colour.

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 04:44 PM »
It can't be done mate guaranteed fail if you try, I had same problem with my shotgun rails surface rust and worn anno so i took to work with very fine grades of sandpaper and got stuck in, i finnished on wet and dry then a light wax polish, Bingo and i got paid for doing it  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 05:09 PM »
It can't be done mate guaranteed fail if you try, I had same problem with my shotgun rails surface rust and worn anno so i took to work with very fine grades of sandpaper and got stuck in, i finnished on wet and dry then a light wax polish, Bingo and i got paid for doing it  :LolLolLolLol:

Sounds like a challenge  ;) Your on!

Watch this space... :)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Night Rider

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 08:21 PM »
Cheers guys, I have restored some pretty rusty rails back to a glass like finish still attached but these will need anodising. would the saddle stand up to the anodising process?

Offline Wadz

• Rockwalk
  • Ride Ride Ride!!
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 09:12 PM »
I got the rails out of my shot gun 2 my fitting to  an old seat post the rapping the seat
In a few cloths the  standing on it while pull back on the post , they came out a treat ,
Did the same with a viscount  dyna , just haven't put the back in yet put I'm sure it possible
with the seat Post clamped to to rails to apply greater pressure.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Removing saddle rails ?

gfxgfx
gfx gfx