gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 11:56 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  headset
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: headset  (Read 1583 times)

J4CK

headset
« on: July 18, 2011, 04:06 PM »
i have a raleigh burner f/f and was thinkin of puttin new school forks on it.
i know old school are 1" and new school around 1 1/8"?
i heard there are some threads on how to make them fit but cant find one >:(
can anyone point me in the right direction ;)

1mancity2

Re: headset
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 10:15 AM »
will a standard 1 1/18 headset fit a burner frame? if so thats all you need.

Offline Spen69

• Site Supporter
  • Tail Whip
  • It was less than TWELVE parsecs.... .
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:46 PM »
The forks may do but the headset obviously won't. The thread was on the museum and involved running loose bearings against the steerer tube. It was clever but extremely fiddly and difficult to maintain without caged bearings.

Can't remember who posted the link but hopefully this might jog someone's memory?
Still limping......

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 12:49 PM »
just dump the burner in the canal and get a proper BMX  ;)  ;D

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:54 PM »
Sometimes i wonder whether anyone actually listens to me. I told jack all this a few days ago, but said i couldnt find the thread and he should search it out.

And he never thanked me for the FREE frame i sent him

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 12:59 PM »
what was that?         did someone say something?  ???

;D

Offline Discostu

• 540 Air
  • Two's Company
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 02:48 PM »
I have done this conversion to my 1989 pk ripper that has a 1" headtube. I used the cups from a tioga beartrap 2 headset. Along with the top bearing. I then purchased a Savage 1""1/8th headset from mr stodgy at the rad bmx shop. The lower savage 1"1/18th crown should fit fine on your forks. But be aware of the height of the collared part of the forks that it sits on. On my forks the cooler was an 1" tall so the forks had to have the collar area machined Down so it was the same height of the crown. Most forks I have seen don't have a high collar so it probably won't be a problem.  Now one of the bearing races in the savage headset will fit in the bottom beartrap headset cup but it wont move freely. I took the bottom cup and bearing down to my local engineering firm and asked them to whack it in a lathe and take of a few thousands of an inch from the inside if the lower cup so the bearing would rotate nicely. This is a five minute job so won't cost you much. Maybe a tenner max. Now the cups can be fitted to the frame the bottom bearing greased up. The crown tapped on to the forks along with the savage rubber seal which should fit perfectly into the bottom beartrap cup and look as though it belongs there. Now I can't remember which bearing race I used in the top beartrap cup. But it was either the other savage one or one of the beartrap ones. Anyway one of them will fit perfectly without any modification.  Then the remaining parts of the savage headset can be fitted as normal along with the later clamp around 1"1/8th stem. The whole thing will look correct and work well. I rode mine fir a bit and then tightened up the slack. It has been working great. So the parts you need are 1 x tioga beartrap 2 1" headset. 1 x savage 1"1/8th. Things that will need modifying- the lower beartrap 1" cup will need a minimal amount of machining to accept the savage 1"1/8th bearing. Other bits that may require modification. The collared area on your 1"1/8th forks that the lower crown sits on may need to be machined. You will know if it does by sliding the bottom beartrap 1" cup down the fork tube. If it doesn't go all the way down to the crown then the area will need to be machined or grinded away. This again is a minimal job to do. My Pk ripper will be at mk 11 if your about pm me and I will show you the modification. Cheers stu

HEYWOOD BMX

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 05:42 PM »

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  headset

gfxgfx
gfx gfx