gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 11:26 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  redline twinpinch
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: redline twinpinch  (Read 2184 times)

Offline Gatters

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
redline twinpinch
« on: July 13, 2011, 02:46 PM »
Just a quick question before I install the bb for the twin pinch ,there is a blue spacer, is this the correct size or do i need to trim this prior to fitting?

cheers

Phil

oh is for a streetbeat 85

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
Re: redline twinpinch
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:53 PM »
Should already be the right size although some bb's do vary a little in width, it may leave one of the cups slightly proud of the BB, this is normal  :daumenhoch:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Offline Gatters

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 03:25 PM »
thx mate  :daumenhoch:

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 04:30 PM »
Hi i asked exacty the same question mate and was told to tap in the non sprocket side first so its flush then the sprocket side as it does sit slightly short by about 1.5 mm  :daumenhoch:

Offline Gatters

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Hi i asked exacty the same question mate and was told to tap in the non sprocket side first so its flush then the sprocket side as it does sit slightly short by about 1.5 mm  :daumenhoch:

Yeah I done that, it does sit slightly proud not that you would see now its built up, feels a little tight, rotates nice and smooth thou but I guess that will ease with use, thx for advice  :daumenhoch:

Offline bruggers100

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 09:54 PM »
i filed mine down so it all sat flush.  the sleeve is still tight so  stops any load on the bearings,which is what it is there for i believe . l had to file about 4 to 5 mm off.took me ages with a file that is old as me! next time i won't be so precise

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 10:14 PM »
must add tho the sprocket wobbles like fook on mine cant be right  :-\

Offline Gatters

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 11:05 PM »
Hmm mine seem ok with the cranks on and no loose sprocket, did you insert the bush and spacers where needed?

Offline pickle

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 07:48 AM »
must add tho the sprocket wobbles like fook on mine cant be right  :-\

sounds like you need a top hat washer on the sprocket  :daumenhoch:

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

Offline bruggers100

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 08:56 AM »
If you bought the cranks brand new the top hat washer should be included.  Needs filing down though if you have an old school spider.  Another thing that took me ages to file down.  i have even stronger wrists now !!!

Offline Gatters

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 09:57 AM »
If you bought the cranks brand new the top hat washer should be included.  Needs filing down though if you have an old school spider.  Another thing that took me ages to file down.  i have even stronger wrists now !!!

I guess I got lucky and it just went together sweet :daumenhoch:

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• Riding with Stabilisers
  • BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:05 AM »
Fitted a set to my Dp, all staright on no issues and defo no filing  :daumenhoch: Methinks maybe that some of the spacers and tophats used are not in the correct position ??

I just gona fit another set my Schwinn too  :daumenhoch:
BANNED

Offline bruggers100

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 01:28 PM »
I wish it had been as easy as yours.

The sleeve needed filing otherwise the bearing cups would not sit in the bottom bracket.  And the top hat washer needed to be filed down to sit flush with the spider.  The top hat washer supplied is very thick and protruded a good 3mm.  When I tried to fit the chainwheel without filing down the top hat it slapped about.  Nothign to do with the spacers.

There are some posts on the forum about these sorts of issues. Perhaps you guys got lucky.

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php'topic=122829.0

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Ah.....did you have a 19mm set or a 22mm set ?? I have a feeling you have the 22mm thats why you had to file it  :daumenhoch: You still got the packet it came in to check ??
BANNED

Offline Gatters

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Fitted a set to my Dp, all staright on no issues and defo no filing  :daumenhoch: Methinks maybe that some of the spacers and tophats used are not in the correct position ??

I just gona fit another set my Schwinn too  :daumenhoch:

Does anyone have any instructions as to where spacers should go?

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 08:13 PM »
Fitted a set to my Dp, all staright on no issues and defo no filing  :daumenhoch: Methinks maybe that some of the spacers and tophats used are not in the correct position ??

I just gona fit another set my Schwinn too  :daumenhoch:

Does anyone have any instructions as to where spacers should go?
Are you fitting a spider or chainring ?? is it an eastern crank ?? I can help  :daumenhoch:  :coolsmiley: Just fitted another one
BANNED

Offline Gatters

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 08:48 PM »
tioga spider, sugino ring, us bb

Offline Gnarlyscoots

• BANNED
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 09:11 PM »
Okay, once the bearing cups are pressed in and the bearings pressed into the cups as far as they can go, you should have a cone and a flat bearing cover. The cone is for the left side and the flat for the drive side.

Fit the spindle through the bearings and the inner sleeve, and place the flat (drive side) bearing cover on with the indent facing out as this is for the top hat. Take the Top Hat and fit it to the spider from the rear. Slide it onto the spindle. Take the drive side crank arm and fit that to the spindle. Now take the spider retaining bolt and screw the spider to the drive side crank arm and fully tighten. Fit the crank retaing bolt and tighten.

On the non drive side, fit the cone bearing cap over the spindle. Take the 2 fattest spacers you have and place those on the spindle and fit the crank arm. You should aim to get the same clearence on both crank arms from the chain stays. Mix and match the spacers to obtain the same gap on both sides. Once you have done this, tighten the crank arm with crank retaining bolt. (when tightening these do not over tighten as the crank will be stiff to spin, tighten until your happy with a smooth spin)

Fit chainring when your happy  :daumenhoch: Hope this helps and sorry for shite pics  :coolsmiley:
BANNED

Offline Gatters

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2011, 10:07 PM »
Excellent guide, I'm sure this will be read a few times  :daumenhoch:

Going by this I just need to check my clearence on each chain stay as have not done this, other than that I seemed to have got it right!

Cheers again  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  redline twinpinch

gfxgfx
gfx gfx