gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975762 Posts in 138935 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie October 02, 2024, 03:25 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Neck brace
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Neck brace  (Read 628 times)

sam hudson

Neck brace
« on: July 12, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Can anyone recommend a neck brace as demonstrated in the vid below please?

http://youtu.be/mud6f6C9uA0

I think I have reached a point where my ability has improved to the point where I can now tackle stuff that requires measures against death to be taken (other than the usual helmet, pads and gloves).

I was thinking of getting some body armour...can you use armour as well as a neck brace??
I remember the aragument against full face lids being that they can push your head back in an accident...hence the neck brace...and if they are good enough for the lads in the video, they are good enough for me!!!

Cheers :daumenhoch:

Offline ron burgundy

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Neck brace
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 05:44 PM »
I think it's a TLD Ltd Ed Leatt Neck Brace.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/leatt-neck-brace-troy-lee-2009.html

I'd do a search over on bmxtalk for opinions on the neck brace.
"Thanks for the Fish Fingers idea... I'm fooking loaded now!!!"

sam hudson

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 02:08 PM »
Thanks for that Ron

£234 from Racespec... :shocked: That is some price.

Its ok to say its a cheap cost compared to being in a wheelchair etc (which is what most of the arguments are...and rightly so) but its still bl##dy expensive for most people today. Im sure its an amazing piece of kit but I dont have to spend £400 on a Troy Lee helmet to get a good and safe helmet...are there any options as regards neck braces or is the Leatt the only good one??

What about loads of scarves??  ;D

Seriously...any options guys??

Offline Mattdub

• Site Supporter
  • BMX Overlord
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 03:00 PM »

That EVS one don't look bad ^^^^^ .

I think Alpinestars do two different versions , one less expensive than't other ..........

part time

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 03:10 PM »
The downhill lot have gone mad for  these, checkout Southern Downhill for plenty of opinions as well as BMXtalk as mentioned.  The choice seems to be down to the Leatt and I think Alpinestars do one too?  They're both pretty steep price wise.  As for armour, apparently it can be worn with Neck braces on the whole, although I think some of the newer suits are being made to accomodate the braces without the need for any user modification, again, this has been done to death over on SDH.
One thing I found interesting that doesn't seem to be commonly known is that you shouldn't ever wear one without a helmet (as I have seen kids doing at races, dicking about on their bikes between races).  Apparently they can act as a weird pivot on your neck if you fall and cause pretty serious injuries.  KIDS IN RACE PADDOCKS - HELMETS ON OR NECK BRACES OFF!

part time

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 03:37 PM »

sam hudson

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 02:09 PM »

That EVS one don't look bad ^^^^^ .

Thats more like it...£40... any idea if they are any good?

sam hudson

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:16 PM »

Quote from Alpinestars Bionic neck brace literature:

"When compared to soft ‘neck roll’ devices the protection afforded is significantly better because being soft, these devices simply deform, offering no protection against the damaging compressive forces".

I hate the fact that you get what you pay for!! >:(

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  BMX General  |  BMX Chat  |  Neck brace

gfxgfx
gfx gfx