gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 03:22 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  potts mod help needed.......
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: potts mod help needed.......  (Read 835 times)

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
potts mod help needed.......
« on: July 09, 2011, 10:25 PM »
I have an annoying problem which i cant get to the bottom of.

I have a Tuf Neck Freestyle stem with its original hollow bolt and a clarks powerglide cable,exactly the same parts as i had BITD.

BUT I CAN'T GET THE FOOKING CABLE THROUGH THE HOLLOW BOLT :tickedoff:

I also had this problem on another bike,again a tuf neck stem, but as it was for show i cut the outers so it looked like it was through,problem was the brake wouldnt work.

This time it has to work as its a rider.

Any ideas,can't understand it as i had these exact same parts 25 years ago with no problems?????

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: potts mod help needed.......
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Check the inside of the bolt for a perished outer cable. I had one recently and it took me a while to work out what was up. I did try burning it out but when that failed i just drilled it out with one or those long masonry bits  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 10:51 PM »
Deffo not that mate,the tuf neck on the other bike was NOS......

Have looked down this one and no blockages :daumenhoch:

Offline animal

• Team Moderator
  • BMX Nerd
  • MRD Loony & proud
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 11:09 PM »
Buddy it will never work  ;) Hollow stem bolts only allow Dia Compe thickness cables through  ;) Clarks r thicker and don't work, trust me tried it bitd  ;D If u cut them it wll defo not work in 2 parts gotta b a continuous cable  :coolsmiley:

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 11:13 PM »
Dont mean to sound funny but it may be worth another look. On mine the outer had split at the top of the bolt, from wear i guess, and looked for all the world like you would imagine the inside of a bolt to look. It was only when i looked closely at the other end of the bolt that a vary small tatty piece of the outer gave it away  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 11:30 PM »
Steve,i tell ya now mate,i had a tuf neck freestyle stem BITD with a dark blue clarks powerglide through it,they were all i could afford  :LolLolLolLol:

IT HAS TO WORK :tickedoff:

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:43 AM »
backing up what was said above

Clarkes cables are thicker than a standard cable

i have a few to check

The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Early potts mod bolts were drilled just to take the inner cable through, use a lever stop against the bolt (above and below) or get it drilled out big enough to take the outer cable...  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

Offline john4130

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 12:25 PM »
i always used powerglide cables bitd and there is a way of doing it. first thing to do is remove the teflon sleeve from inside the cable, then you have to cut the cable outer, measure from the lever to the top of the stem bolt as the cable would run then add a couple of inches and cut the outer. shave the plastic of the end a couple of inches and stick it in the stem bolt, then take the other half of the outer and shave off about 4 inches of plastic and sick that up the forks into the stem bolt. then insert the teflon inner through. then set up the brake as normal. it works a treat.  :daumenhoch:

Offline oldtired

• 540 Air
  • Dirty Old Man
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2011, 04:17 PM »
fook me Bendy's  pm box just filled up  :LolLolLolLol: 

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 04:28 PM »
I will try that trick mr John 4130,i know i never did that bitd though!!  :daumenhoch:

Offline bigfatolly

• Cherry Picker
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 11:18 PM »
Quick update.

I cut a piece of thin cable outer to put through the hollow bolt and cut the powerglide outer into 2 bits and joined it each end with insulation tape.

Looped it up nice and tight and voila- it works.

Never did this bitd though.

Clarks must have made their cables in 2 thicknesses unless my memory is hazy  and there was another make in dark blue that i used.

I never had dia-compe cables bitd,first one i ever owned was bought on here :LolLolLolLol:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  potts mod help needed.......

gfxgfx
gfx gfx