gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 02:48 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  shimano dx resto
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: shimano dx resto  (Read 1537 times)

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
shimano dx resto
« on: July 02, 2011, 02:02 PM »
dont know if anyone has done a how to guide on restoring a set of shimano dx's so i thought id make one as im having a pedal sort out

take one well used shimano dx, battered end and end caps, bent axle, pitted bearings and cups, paint quite worn :'( :'( :'(

first thing was to strip out the axle, bearing cups and bearings and fit brand new ones, for this u need to get yourself to halfords of all places and buy a set of fpd pedals :shocked: :shocked:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_566789_langId_-1_categoryId_165566

by chance i found out that these have the correct size axles, cups and of course bearings so are a straight swap  8) 8) 8)

once u have fitted all the new hardware refit your knackered end cap to stop any dirt, alloy dust etc.. getting in to you nice new axle and bearings

clamp the pedal axle in a vice and get out a file and begin to reshape and smooth the ends, try and keep to the original lines as much as possible

spend aslong as you like doing this, you can spend hours getting them perfect or just a good tidy up like ive done as they are for a rider so im not too fussed and dont want them mint, you will end up with some file marks so just get some finer sandpaper and clean the pedal end up till your happy

now give them a good clean with soapy water to clean off the alloy dust and any grease, some washing up liquid and water in a spray bottle works well

now they are ready for priming

pedal is currently drying for 24 hours before i apply a black top coat and the finally a new repo end cap

for more in depth pedal body resto check out ted carl's posts on this thread

http://www.vintagebmx.com/community/index.php'showtopic=4005471&hl=ted%20carl&st=75

page 6 post 79 onwards :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch: :daumenhoch:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:15 PM by kev s »

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: shimano dx resto
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 08:06 PM »
That was some resto on that link...  :shocked:

I'd do what you are doing and just tidy em up, got some that need doing, just can't be arsed to get round to doing em...   ;D

Good to know about the halfords pedal spindles...  :daumenhoch:

2 minutes turkish...

jp-rebel

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:16 PM »
Looking good  8) so far, where did you get the Repop end caps from? as I need  some for a future build.

Offline Betty

• 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 09:12 PM »
Rakas17 does repro end caps, he'll have some at MK if you're going...  :daumenhoch:
2 minutes turkish...

Offline kev-s

• 900 Air
  • I bought a site tag and my girth increased by 10%
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 10:07 PM »
its amazing what ted carl does to a set of dx's in the link, well worth a good read!

the halfords pedals are perfect for dx's as everything fits a dx body, the spindles, cups and bearings :daumenhoch:

as for repo end caps see rakas17 as betty said , i bought 4 pairs off him for £23

Offline ED209

• Site Supporter
  • My life is Radbmx
  • Live to ride ... ride to live.
    • www.superexstatic.com
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 10:29 PM »
Nice resto how to - fanx for sharing  :angel:
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Dylan Thomas

WANTED : Victor DX 9/16 spindle or pedal

jp-rebel

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 09:47 AM »
Cheers for the info Betty & Kev  :daumenhoch: hope to get to MK this year, just trying to get one of my none BMX mates to come with, as I dont fancy going on my one.

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  shimano dx resto

gfxgfx
gfx gfx