gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 03:36 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Peugeot BMX resto. Stripping & painting help please
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Peugeot BMX resto. Stripping & painting help please  (Read 4928 times)

Offline dancetothedrummersbeat

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
Peugeot BMX resto. Stripping & painting help please
« on: June 28, 2011, 05:58 PM »
Hi all. I've never stripped or painted a frame/forks before, so i could do with a bit of advice. I've just bought this Peugeot black lion bmx off ebay.

I'll be taking the decals off, scanning them & getting repro's made (from del hopefully). I need to get the frame & forks stripped and then want to change the colour scheme similar to that of the pic below:

What is the best way of stripping the existing paint? i don't know if it's regular paint or powder coat - How can you tell the difference?

I want to repaint the frame & forks metallic blue, but can i do this myself using off the shelf spray, then coating the frame with lacquer? OR do i need to get it professionally sprayed or powdered?

**Superbike Dan - I know you're an expert in this field - any suggestions?**

Thanks for your help everyone!
Andy
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:34 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
Re: Peugeot BMX resto. Stripping & painting help please
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 07:05 PM »
it's entirely up to you, it's a lot of hard work and expense if you dont have any of the

tools already, stripper, primer top coat, sandpaper ect cost a lot so a proffesional painter

may be the way forward and probs a bit cheaper :) i admire anyone who gives it a go so

again mate the choice really is yours, if it comes out good you'll be proud as punch :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

Offline TORKER mick

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:22 PM »
mate that whas my first bmx but mine had yellow ogk's not gold wheels . now i want one :tickedoff:

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 09:05 PM »
I'm not sure if it's the light in the above picture,  but i'd like the blue to be slightly darker - more like the blue of this falcon below (photo from Rakas17's uploads). Can metallic colours be done in powdercoat? Superbike Dan?

Andrew
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:07 PM by dancetothedrummersbeat »

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:14 PM »
I'm not sure if it's the light in the above picture,  but i'd like the blue to be slightly darker - more like the blue of this falcon below (photo from Rakas17's uploads). Can metallic colours be done in powdercoat? Superbike Dan?

Andrew

they can but only if theres a demand for a certain metalic blue and the powder manufactures have it

in stock, outside of standard ral colours theres not many powder companys make colours for one offs

why dont you go two pack, you can go to a car paints supplys, point to a colour on there thousands

of colour cards and you get the exact colour you want :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

paddy2

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:51 PM »
was that the one from matlock matey?

• Team Moderator
  • Tail Whip
  • Andy
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Yes, that's the one. I've been after one of these bikes for ages, so was pleased to win it for £27. The pic that i added of the blue peugeot was from an ebay listing about 18 months ago. The seller lived in Northern Ireland & would only accept collect in person, even though i was prepared to cover any postage costs including insurance. As far as i can remember there were no bids - i wonder what happened to the bike? I'll be changing the colour scheme to blue/yellow/gold - similar to the pic posted, but the forks & bars will be blue too - i'm not keen on the gold forks/bars

1mancity2

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 10:40 AM »
As Dan says no demand for metallic powders so they don't get stocked, 2pack is a good option or you can get some from the USA but that costs as well. www.powderbuythepound.com   look under "Powder coating powder" > "Temp Controlled Powders" > "Metallics" or any other you like the look off.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:45 AM by 1mancity2 »

splodge

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 04:12 PM »

Its not that hard to do it yourself mate & as mentioned its very rewarding when it goes well. I'm not a professional sprayer at all, I sprayed a couple of bikes when I was a kid (BMX colours always changed) & I watched my dad spray the dents on the wings of his Cortina when I was about 10 so I had excellent training in how to do it

This is how I do it, its all about preparation. The best sprayer in the world will do a crap job if the surface isnt right. Make sure all the old paint is off, nitromors paint stripper will bump it off but wear rubber gloves & go carefull. paint the stripper on & it will blister the paint within minutes then rub it after about 10 mins. Make sure you get all the paint off as even little bits left on may still show through. Rinse the frame then lots of wet n dry sand paper & water & sand the whole frame so its smooth. Primer undercoat ( I usually use white or gray) the frame all over & let that dry for an hour or so then sand it smooth with wet & dry again. I seems a waste of undercoat spray to then rub it back again but its the best way to get a smooth surface. I normally do this at least twice then give it a couple of coats of primer undercoat & let that dry.

For the colour top coat, make sure you shake the can for at least 2 mins & if your spraying out side do it on a warm dry day. If its nice & warm the paint will instantly stick to the primer & wont run. I tried it when it was overcast once & no matter how thinly you spray it still started to run as there was moisture in the air. It makes a huge difference, ill only spray on warm sunny days!

Hold the can about 10 inches away the sweep side to side & only spray when the can is moving, after each stroke stop spraying if you know what I mean. It makes sense to start one end of the frame & continue to the other end but make sure you get in all the corners & underneath, there will be bits you miss on the first coat so after the first coat has been applied leave if 15 mins then if you can turn the frame around so the next coat naturally falls on the opposite side to started, that way no matter how careful you are you should naturally cover the whole frame.

If you spot any runs then don't worry, just crack on & do the whole frame. When its dried after about half hour you can then get out the wet n dry again & rub down any patches that started to run, get then smooth again. Then crack on with at least another 2 top coats, i normally keep going until the can runs out, I managed 4 coats on the Grifter I recently sprayed.

Now leave it in a warm area to dry for at least a week. Your perfect smooth shiny frame looks lovely. You now have to ruin it by sanding it with wet n dry again  To get the best finish you have to sand the shine off the paint so its dull, gently using very fine wet n dry rub down the while frame so its like a matt colour. Then swill it off with water so there's no dust & dry it. If your applying stickers then this is when to stick them on.

Finally, warm sunny day again, apply the lacquer, use the same technique as spraying & take your time, it the lacquer runs now then its hard to rectify it so thin coats & take your time. The frame is now far more shiny than when you finished the top coat. I normally do at least 2 coats of lacquer then leave it in a warm place for at least 2 weeks to harden. Dont touch it as your finger prints will show on the lacquer until its hardened.

That's it, its takes a long time but defiantly worth it. Looking at the blue it reminded me of a Grifter I recently did, slightly wrong shade for the Grif but looks spot on for what your after :

splodge

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Another one to show the shiny smooth finish you can get with a rattle can & a bit of time

Good luck & my biggest tip is dont rush it as you'll muck it up  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Peugeot BMX resto. Stripping & painting help please

gfxgfx
gfx gfx