gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 09:50 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Painting the "mx" now sorted
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Painting the "mx" now sorted  (Read 1495 times)

curtispro

Painting the "mx" now sorted
« on: June 23, 2011, 07:36 PM »
Has anyone had any success in colouring in the "MX" logo on the brake arm or are the rub on decals any good?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:47 PM by curtispro »

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
Re: Painting the "mx"
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 07:48 PM »

curtispro

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Thanks for the info, I've got some freshly powdered White MX 1000's thinking about doing the mx in red, time for a steady hand  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 08:25 PM »
Get some artists masking fluid. Paint the areas you want to mask when the paint is dry the stuff peels off like latex

curtispro

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 08:47 PM »
Get some artists masking fluid. Paint the areas you want to mask when the paint is dry the stuff peels off like latex
:daumenhoch:

spyderpit13

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 05:51 PM »

zombie_jesus

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 02:21 PM »
what about using an oil based paint marker with an fine nib (0.5mm) like the uni poska and them?

curtispro

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:05 PM »
I had a go using red enamel and a cocktail stick, fookin disaster  :'( and the thinners I used to abort the mission has started to take the powder off. Good job I ain't a surgeon with my steady hands  :LolLolLolLol:

zombie_jesus

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:22 PM »

sounds awesome.

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 09:33 PM »
line it in with a brush and polish the excess with compound!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorted  :4_17_5:

I did the SR on my old stem like that,  the top was rough so I sprayed it all black and sanded and polished it, when i was  done the SR was very nicely black

curtispro

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 10:15 PM »
I've got to be careful as the arms are freshly powdered, the two that I have had a practice on have now got a pink tinge to it around the "mx" area, what type of pain do you think is best, I am using a red enamel (model paint) but it takes 6 hours to dry, I will have another go tomorrow night, that's if my spokes don't turn up or I will attempting my first wheel build,  but that will be another thread  :LolLolLolLol:

Offline superbikedan

• BMX Legend
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 10:38 PM »
I've got to be careful as the arms are freshly powdered, the two that I have had a practice on have now got a pink tinge to it around the "mx" area, what type of pain do you think is best, I am using a red enamel (model paint) but it takes 6 hours to dry, I will have another go tomorrow night, that's if my spokes don't turn up or I will attempting my first wheel build,  but that will be another thread  :LolLolLolLol:

will you stop fcuking up those brakes ;D a little tip, dont use white spirits or thinners, panel whipe is

the best as your working on the brakes and the best tip, tcut the next day, let the smearing dry and tcut

the areas that you want white and another, 1500 grit paper, flat the smearing then tcut :daumenhoch:
For powder coating drop me a pm

curtispro

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 11:05 PM »

will you stop fcuking up those brakes ;D a little tip, dont use white spirits or thinners, panel whipe is

the best as your working on the brakes and the best tip, tcut the next day, let the smearing dry and tcut

Thanks for the tips Dan, just as well I sent 4 sets of brakes for you to powder, still got 2 sets left untouched  :LolLolLolLol: I will have another go tomorrow  :daumenhoch: if not I will have to send them to mr costa and see if he will do them for me

the areas that you want white and another, 1500 grit paper, flat the smearing then tcut :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 08:23 AM »
I wouldnt use a conventional enamal paint. Due to the fact you have to use thinners to get it off. I painted the bulldog on my lds brakes and used either a revell or humbrol acrylic paint. I fooked it up a few times, but it wipes off with a damp cloth. if you are just building a pony then it'll be fine, thats when i got the masking fluid trick down pat.

curtispro

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 08:42 AM »
I wouldnt use a conventional enamal paint. Due to the fact you have to use thinners to get it off. I painted the bulldog on my lds brakes and used either a revell or humbrol acrylic paint. I fooked it up a few times, but it wipes off with a damp cloth. if you are just building a pony then it'll be fine, thats when i got the masking fluid trick down pat.

Its going to be a rider like my other bikes  :LolLolLolLol: so I will need it to be a permanent job, I am using a humbrol  enamel model paint, I think it was too hot yesterday as the masking fluid was going off by the time i had taken the brush out of the bottle  :LolLolLolLol: will have another go tonight  :daumenhoch:

Offline WINI

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Sheeping it real ;-)
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 09:12 AM »
Or buy some precut decals.....
Neil, the bathroom's free. Unlike the country under the Thatcherite junta

curtispro

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Or buy some precut decals.....

Can't find them in red, only white or black,  also want to paint in dia compe on my front calliper 

curtispro

Re: Painting the "mx" now sorted
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 05:49 PM »
All done, got some .5mm sharpie oil based pens works a treat  :daumenhoch:

Offline Jaymz

• Team RAD
  • My life is Radbmx
  • I'm not FOOKING Dave
  • Rated:
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 08:09 PM »
looks great fella, top job in the end, worth all the hassle, nice result

punkdSICO

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 09:06 PM »
Yeah, lovely result.  Im defo going to try the Sharpie route (once I decide on a colour).

ta,

Paul

Offline rick1970

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 02:24 AM »
What a result  :daumenhoch:

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  Painting the "mx" now sorted

gfxgfx
gfx gfx