gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 22, 2024, 05:27 PM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  citric acid.......update it works with pictures
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: citric acid.......update it works with pictures  (Read 3055 times)

Moza

citric acid.......update it works with pictures
« on: June 23, 2011, 10:26 AM »
anyone suggest the mix ratio and time for the item to be left in the solution please
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:35 PM by Moza »

Threaders

Re: citric acid
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 06:08 PM »
I tried this on a mongoose frame with a bit of rust. did sod all though. Left it in for two days cant remember the exact ratio was around 2 table spoons per litre. there is a lot of threads on this topic on www.bmxmuseum.com :daumenhoch:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:11 PM by Threaders »

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 09:07 PM »
Use it all the time and its the best stuff you can use.  :daumenhoch:
Usually i do around a 20/1 ratio of water to cap and it will take surface rust off over night. For heavier rust you need to leave it longer and give the item a scrub a few times with a brush.

wilkinsons do little 50g tubs for 97p or you can get it at any home brew supply shop

Even a really weak solution will work, it just takes longer. You just have to weigh up time vs cost  ;)
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Moza

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:02 PM »
Use it all the time and its the best stuff you can use.  :daumenhoch:
Usually i do around a 20/1 ratio of water to cap and it will take surface rust off over night. For heavier rust you need to leave it longer and give the item a scrub a few times with a brush.

wilkinsons do little 50g tubs for 97p or you can get it at any home brew supply shop

Even a really weak solution will work, it just takes longer. You just have to weigh up time vs cost  ;)

Thanks its a big tub so im using it all lol.......does it attack chrome ???

Offline glenboy

• 540 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:07 PM »
coca cola rubbing it in with tin foil is the best moza , or vinegar with salt in depending on amount of rust and size of item but coke and tin foil gets amazing results makes you think whats coke doing to your insides

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 11:11 PM »
i have a whole frame that needs doing, any recomendations?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:52 PM »
Pound shop paddling pool, citric acid, take up excess room around the frame with pop bottles full of water to save on the amount of citric acid you need. Dunk it in and let chemistry do all the work  :daumenhoch:
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 11:54 PM »

Thanks its a big tub so im using it all lol.......does it attack chrome ???

Chrome and decals will be fine  :daumenhoch:

Offline 58 delray

• Site Supporter
  • 900 Air
  • Rated:
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:08 AM »
Pound shop paddling pool, citric acid, take up excess room around the frame with pop bottles full of water to save on the amount of citric acid you need. Dunk it in and let chemistry do all the work  :daumenhoch:
a lot  of rust so how much acid ?

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 12:43 AM »
Well the pool i had was about 1.2 meters diameter, distorted into a slight oval to fit the frame. I think i used about 500g of citric acid and tried so save on the water usage by filling the gaps with bottles as i said. I had to scrub the inside of a gusset with a toothbrush to clear the surface debris but the acid did all the work. Ended up throwing most of the other parts in there for good measure.

Its great for cleaning rusty threads and difficult to reach areas and doesn't seem to lose its potency so you can use it again and again. Much cleaner, safer and less smelly than the alternatives  :daumenhoch:

Offline hotdog

• Look Back
  • Rated:
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 09:53 AM »
Any before & after pics?

Offline wildon

• Flip-Whip
  • Rated:
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 10:12 AM »
I bought this half kilo from ebay  http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170572693487#ht_500wt_922

Filled the bath up enough to cover the frame with hot water and chucked the lot in.  Left it all day while i was out.  It took of a lot of the surface rust but tbh the chrome was shot on the frame and what you can still see is where the chrome has gone completely.  Would imagine it'd work well on slight surface rust but next time i'll just get out the coke and tin foil again.

Didn't harm the bath at all.

Moza

Re: citric acid.......update it works with pictures
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 10:39 PM »
I tried it out today and saw results within 20mins, the rust fizzed away and i could smell a hydrogen type smell coming from the bucket !!!!

in it goes

you can see the rust at the bottom of the bucket

gone :daumenhoch:

Moza

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 10:43 PM »
A Big thanks to all those who helped and gave suggestions :daumenhoch:

Rodgy1970

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 10:55 PM »
Nice one, will have to try it out   :daumenhoch:

Offline MartyC

• Berm Worm
  • Radder than a Rad thing on a Rad day; maybe?
  • Rated:
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 04:50 PM »
that's come up great, now get those resto pis of your RST out  :knuppel2:

Better to crash and burn than fade away

Moza

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 10:08 PM »
that's come up great, now get those resto pis of your RST out  :knuppel2:

Ive over 1000 and dont know where to put them lol

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  citric acid.......update it works with pictures

gfxgfx
gfx gfx