gfxgfx

logo

gfx gfx
gfx
975755 Posts in 138933 Topics by 6360 Members - Latest Member: TattooedYorkie September 21, 2024, 08:33 AM
gfx* Home | Portal | Forum | Merchandise | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  In a tight spot !
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: In a tight spot !  (Read 852 times)

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
In a tight spot !
« on: June 25, 2011, 02:14 PM »
right have just fitted a new freewheel - quick change over and only took two hour  ??? had to dremel grinder cut the old one off as it wouldn't shift and had a bad way to lock on tool to get off  >:(  i beat the fooker  >:D

so put the back wheel on again and still had a tight spot on the chain

I have come to the conclusion of why you get a tight spot in the chain

two parts : 1st when lining up a back wheel we always look at the tire to see if it spin straight - tire is not always made true / throwing it out a bit - axle side may not be equal in drop outs on each side  - but  i think that the thing that throws it out most is the chain ring !

the chain ring may be flat and round but when putting it on a 1pc it is at a slight % out when spinning it without a chain on - it may be less them 1-2mm wobble when turning and this may not seem much, but it will make a difference

freewheel may have a wobble in it - can be more with cheap FW 

so if a chain ring spins round it could be the ring is not at it's centre point and /or the one piece crank is not spinning true - if looking down on the chain ring and seeing it turn then you may see the wobble, and with a chain on and the freewheel also moving with a wobble it can all throw it out

this is what i think that a tight spot is on a bike chain - any thoughts please welcome

cheers B  ;)
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

Offline oldschoolace

• Team Moderator
  • Double Flip Whip
  • Bodger
  • Rated:
Re: In a tight spot !
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 02:27 PM »
As far as i have always experienced, singular tight spots (where the chain tightens at one particular spot over and over) is always down to either a stiff link on the chain or a slightly off centered chainring. I cant see how it would be wheel alignment as this should produce a constant bind rather than an intermittent one and unless the freewheel is knackered you should be able to rule that out as the cause too.
Sixteen thirty-two. What is that? A year?   No, it's your top score on Pole Position.

Offline SteveG

• Curb Endo
  • Rated:
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 05:28 PM »
Prime suspect for me is the spider on the crank, depends what you have though. One piece cranks aren't very well made and could have a bend in them between the crank bearings.
I haven't tried it but if you loosen the bit that locks the spider on you might be able to tap it one direction to make it run true. Then tighten it carefully again.
Have a similar problem on my old kart. The problem with that is that the axle is a bit bent though !

Offline AKGOFF

• 900 Air
  • 85 Hutch 'Woody' Trickstar
  • Rated:
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 07:28 PM »
As everyone knows I,m the king of bike building Bendy so i'll give you a few pointers tomorrow :daumenhoch:

Adam
*******EVERYTHING IS FOR SALE APART FROM THE TRICKSTARS******

Offline Pooch

• Tail Whip
  • funny you should say that..
  • Rated:
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 10:54 PM »
1/ tight link on chain.
2/ chain ring not centre on the spider.
3/ had to put my chain ring on the inside of my power disc on the gt for it to run true..
4/ Don't ask Adam anything as he doesn't know his arse from his elbow.. ;D
Griff loves BUM..

Offline BENDYCAT ELEVENTEEN

• Berm Worm
  • "Click here for link"
  • Rated:
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 11:05 PM »
I will see you two chuckle brothers tomorrow and you can both show me how you are so good - to me ~ to you  ;D
The Devil is away on business, I'm having to step in for him - How can I make your day Hell !!!

RADBMX.CO.UK  |  Technical & Reference Section  |  Tech and Restoration  |  In a tight spot !

gfxgfx
gfx gfx